John Beilein to Cleveland Cavs / Juwan Howard to Michigan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Beilein to Cleveland Cavs / Juwan Howard to Michigan

Can easily see that, as he was voted by his peers as the cleanest coach in the college game.

I also didn’t realize that last August he had double bypass surgery on his heart. So does he hope that besides the attraction of the NBA challenge that getting out of college recruiting will make the stress of coaching will be more manageable?

I also didn’t realize that last August he had double bypass surgery on his heart. So does he hope that besides the attraction of the NBA challenge that getting out of college recruiting will make the stress of coaching will be more manageable?
There is a lot less stress in the NBA but you get a lot more losses.
If he can handle losing 30-50 games a year he will be fine.
He won’t be the overlord of his players like he is in college.
NBA coaching isn’t hard when you have the brain Beilein has. The players will execute the plays he draws up.
If Beilein gets talent he will be fine but I don’t expect him to get much talent.

Good for John. He’s been a winner everyplace he’s been. LeMoyne, Canisius, Richmond, WV, Michigan. He’ll win in Cleveland too. Not a championship, but he’ll win and be a contender. They also have two 1st round picks this year. Year 3 he’ll be in the playoffs as a contender.

Last edited:
There is a lot less stress in the NBA but you get a lot more losses.
If he can handle losing 30-50 games a year he will be fine.
He won’t be the overlord of his players like he is in college.
NBA coaching isn’t hard when you have the brain Beilein has. The players will execute the plays he draws up.
If Beilein gets talent he will be fine but I don’t expect him to get much talent.
The counter to that would be, managing grown men ego's, and players are valued a lot more than coaches. Players can get you fired.

The counter to that would be, managing grown men ego's, and players are valued a lot more than coaches. Players can get you fired.

True. Though I can see where that wouldn’t be as big of a factor for an older coach near the end of their career who probably won’t be looking for another coaching job after this one. If I was in his position, I’m not sure I’d care about the prospect of getting fired.

I'm shocked by this. It wasn't on my radar at all. After the fact it makes sense I guess. I heard no rumors of him leaving or anything anywhere. It tough to lose a good coach that runs a good program. A loss for college basketball.

I don't know what's more surprising to me...

Beilein leaving for Cleveland or that he was at Michigan for 12 years.

Feels like yesterday he was coaching WVU and Pittsnogling the Big East.

Great guy, great coach.

Agree. 12? My god. Getting old!!

I honestly wonder what that programs trajectory will be post Belein. Between Fisher and Beliens hiring they were...not great.

can't blame him for taking the dollars of the NBA and one last shot at the highest level. he knows and hates what a cesspool college recruiting is. On the other side of it, do NBA coaches not named Greg Popovich have any power at all? so many players in the league are not exactly coachable and can get someone canned pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see if Michigan throws a bunch of cash at Jay Wright or Chris Beard, or someone else I am not thinking of.

Cash grab as a career winds down that is well earned though the skeptic in me thinks he's running from something. Not of his doing but the nature of the beast that we call college basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom