John Beilein to Cleveland Cavs / Juwan Howard to Michigan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

John Beilein to Cleveland Cavs / Juwan Howard to Michigan

Rick Pitino - do Not pick up the white courtesy phone. It's not for you.

I think I’d take LESS money to coach in the NBA, because I wouldn’t have to recruit and run a program. Just coach your team.
But the season is longer, with two and a half times as much travel. Seems like it kinda balances out.

Can’t just stay at home for most of the first half of the season like a major college program. Plus there’s a real preseason schedule, not just two exhibitions.

Last edited:
Given the results of the trial... he probably thought it’s only going to get worse.

He’s a real loss to college basketball, but reading I was surprised to read that he was in the mix for the Piston’s job last year even before his heart surgery but admitted he didn’t get the job. He then professed his love for Michigan and plans to stay there. I mean coaches do spout their normal coachspeak but he seemed different. It makes me wonder if the daunting job of rebuilding with the current one or two and done landscape including all his players early departures made him rethink his hopes of ever winning or seriously contending for a championship. Lots of things that a current college coach can’t control nor plan for now to frustrate and stress out coaches.

He's a terrific guy with a very engaging personality. I met him when he was at Richmond and he generously offered my son, who was a freshman to be, a position as a student manager. He has been successful at every place he has been from junior college to Division III, Division II as well as 3 stops at Division I as he went up the ladder of DI teams. He's paid his dues. I'll be rooting for him...

can't blame him for taking the dollars of the NBA and one last shot at the highest level. he knows and hates what a cesspool college recruiting is. On the other side of it, do NBA coaches not named Greg Popovich have any power at all? so many players in the league are not exactly coachable and can get someone canned pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see if Michigan throws a bunch of cash at Jay Wright or Chris Beard, or someone else I am not thinking of.

It's not like Cleveland has LeBron - or is even that good - anymore. Who is there on that roster who is going to be a problem for Beilein - Kevin Love? He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. And nobody else is good enough that they aren't expendable.

Beilein probably realized he wanted to get paid for his last few years as a coach.
Gilbert probably overpaid him and he can flame out in 2-3 years in the NBA and have 5 years worth of money and be ready to retire.
Never blame a guy for cashing out at the end.
I just hope Cleveland doesn’t get Zion.
They don’t deserve LeBron then Zion.
I think he probably got sick of losing players every year (often unexpectedly) and probably thought his loyalty to the program wouldn't be necessary if his players don't have it. the whole landscape of ncaabb in the one and done era is very tumultuous and difficult to deal with...probably just had enough of it.

NBA coaching is irrelevant for the most part.
The league comes down to talent.
Scheduling gives every team certain wins and losses.
IDK if you look at the Nets, Clippers, the Jazz last year, the Hawks a few seasons ago...even the blazers this year. the celtics did better without their "max" guys than with...even the warriors were put together through shrewd drafting and second round picks...klay, steph and draymond were not lottery picks.

I think there's definitely that thinking that you need the stars to win...but i think it is a lot like the NCAA where the one and dones aren't actually winning as many titles as one might expect and the teams with vets are. most "max" players don't deliver and teams like the nets, the clippers, the hawks show that you can be pretty competitive putting together a team of non-stars...if you are shrewd.

the oversized egos of the kyrie's, davis', westbrooks butlers etc..the max players...can def hold a coach and franchise hostage...whether it is strategically and all-encompassing or just in terms of dictating the style of play (forcing iso heavy offense)...but I think there's mixed returns on that approach and not many actually win titles like that. the teams that treat coaching like it is irrelevant don't make it very far.

i think there is room for a coach who can build a program in the NBA..but it is very hard and takes a good coach with a good gm to do it over the course of several seasons.

Definitely am a little surprised but not shocked
1) money might be a factor but I really don’t think it is
2) he flirted with the pistons last year and had real interest in leaving last year
3) from my understanding he has always had the goal to Coach in the NBA and he’s getting toward the end of his career so now was a good time

4) THIS last one is probably the biggest point...he is obviously moving the or near Cleveland, Patrick just took the job at Niagara. It’s around a 3 hour drive from Cleveland to Niagara I believe. So not only is he living a dream of coaching in the NBA, making more money BUT he is ALSO moving closer to family where his kids are not getting married and having grandkids. Great move on his part in my opinion and happy for the guy cause he’s a great coach and great person.

Definitely am a little surprised but not shocked
1) money might be a factor but I really don’t think it is
2) he flirted with the pistons last year and had real interest in leaving last year
3) from my understanding he has always had the goal to Coach in the NBA and he’s getting toward the end of his career so now was a good time

4) THIS last one is probably the biggest point...he is obviously moving the or near Cleveland, Patrick just took the job at Niagara. It’s around a 3 hour drive from Cleveland to Niagara I believe. So not only is he living a dream of coaching in the NBA, making more money BUT he is ALSO moving closer to family where his kids are not getting married and having grandkids. Great move on his part in my opinion and happy for the guy cause he’s a great coach and great person.

Honestly, it's probably only 45 minutes to an hour more of a drive from Ann Arbor to WNY than it is from Cleveland to WNY. But, I get your point.

Porter Moser and Juwan Howard are the two finalists for this job.
Unless Billy Donovan is interested.

Rick Pitino - do Not pick up the white courtesy phone. It's not for you.

Being in the western most aspect of the eastern time zone , it simply gets dark too late in Ann Arbor for Pitino to take a job there .. he’d never get out of his coffin

Honestly, it's probably only 45 minutes to an hour more of a drive from Ann Arbor to WNY than it is from Cleveland to WNY. But, I get your point.
Yeah I’m not too familiar with the area/distance, I just know it’s definitely closer lol thanks for the clarification

If they’re smart, they pony up and pay Oats’ buyout. They need to continue the momentum that Beilein built up. They had a solid decade or more of complete irrelevance before Beilein. Can’t imagine they want to go back there. And there’s zero reason for Michigan b-ball to ever be irrelevant.

Not many good candidates out there. Bite the bullet and pony up for Oats. I think he’s absolutely the real deal.

Shocked always thought he was a college guy john is a winner he can coach anywhere. I guess he figures take a run at coaching Zion or morant

A little surprised but good for him. Always respected his coaching ability and how he honorably won his way up the ladder from HS coaching! In hindsight, he would have been great at SU if JB retired a few years after the 2003 NC.

I'm have some doubts that he will succeed in the NBA, because most college coaches don't, but I wouldn't bet against him.

I wouldn't be too excited about either Moser or Howard if I was a Michigan fan even if Juwan is an alum. I'd like to think they could do better than that.

I wouldn't be too excited about either Moser or Howard if I was a Michigan fan even if Juwan is an alum. I'd like to think they could do better than that.

I agree, but seeing Penny pull in some recruits to Memphis and Ewing doing solid at GTown, Juwan isn't as unattractive as he is at first glance. I'd like to see him get it.

I agree, but seeing Penny pull in some recruits to Memphis and Ewing doing solid at GTown, Juwan isn't as unattractive as he is at first glance. I'd like to see him get it.

That's true. Going to be hard for anyone to be as successful as Beilein. Will be interesting to follow.

To be a good college coach you have to be willing to stretch your ethical code, assuming you have good ethics, much more than in the NBA. It can't be easy for many.

klay and steph absolutely were
I meant top 3 picks like zion or AD ... I don't think there was a consensus on klay, steph or draymond in the NBA that those 3 would be franchise "max" players...kawhi was chosen 15th. klay 11th. draymond 35th. jokic 41st. giannis 15th. manu ginobili 57th. tony parker 28h etc...even steph at 7 shows a bunch of teams had no idea about him.

despite my errant facts - my general point about beilien remains - that though it is "about talent" - any team that is shrewd can accumulate/develop that talent in the NBA - even if it isn't currently on their roster - and the coach plays an important role in that...its the same reason the kings are horrible all the time and the spurs are always good. when was the last time the spurs had a good lottery pick?

coaching is a big reason that players develop or don't, imo. i dont think that players like danny green (2nd round pick), kawhi, patty mills, etc become the playes they did if they were not developed by the spurs...it wasn't just about spotting diamonds in the rough...it was molding those players into who they became.

talent acquisition is a huge part of NBA success - the lakers didn't make the playoffs last year despite winning the lebron sweepstakes and the clippers did despite not having a "max" player...but what you do with your pieces is in my opinion more important than what pieces you have. its a self-fulflling prophecy that talent is all that matters. the suns have a lot of talent but are a mess so their team sucks. the 76ers have the most talented starting 5 in the east and maybe entire league but got bounced.

i think beilein can be a coach that helps players develop and if he is given a few years...he can build a winner. his michigan players have overachieved in the nba...and i think that success would translate for him as an NBA coach. i predict he will be successful even if he doesn't get zion (or the next zion).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom