John Wildhack donates $1 million to athletic department | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack donates $1 million to athletic department

So like how does this work? Is he actually giving the Uni $1 million dollars?

Or just not accepting salary payments until the $1 million happens? I've always wondered how this worked from a systematic perspective.

This isn't meant to diminish the donation in any way, it is $1 million dollars in money that we can use to improve in a variety of ways.

Part of me wants to think JW was looking at his budget for some project and goes "many I am just 1 million short, where can I raise the money? You know what screw it, I'll donate it myself just to get this project going!" :cool:

Or just not accepting salary payments until the $1 million happens? I've always wondered how this worked from a systematic perspective.

This isn't meant to diminish the donation in any way, it is $1 million dollars in money that we can use to improve in a variety of ways.

Part of me wants to think JW was looking at his budget for some project and goes "many I am just 1 million short, where can I raise the money? You know what screw it, I'll donate it myself just to get this project going!" :cool:
I agree that the cool LED lighting on top of the dome/stadium will be awesome.

FWIW, being on a board with him, he’s donated hard cash to the school. He won over Dino by putting in significant six figures directly into football before this.

It’s personal for JW. He has acted that way for years.

Who were the mouth breathers asking what this man has done for the program so far? This guy is the real deal and to make this type of financial commitment to the school in the form of a donation is incredible.

We are lucky to have him, he'll do what's best for the school always and hope he stays for a long time.

Who were the mouth breathers asking what this man has done for the program so far? This guy is the real deal and to make this type of financial commitment to the school in the form of a donation is incredible.

We are lucky to have him, he'll do what's best for the school always and hope he stays for a long time.
Oh stop. People were questioning what he has done because the only things the general public get to see are how he handles the two most visible sports we have, and thus far I would say the jury is still out on that.

Donation is awesome and a very positive leadership statement, and we are lucky to have him as an alum and an AD, but until he transitions the school thru replacing JB, and Desko, and (hopefully not but) maybe even Dino, people have the right to hold off on judgement. This was a great move, doesn't mean he has a lifetime appointment.

Oh stop. People were questioning what he has done because the only things the general public get to see are how he handles the two most visible sports we have, and thus far I would say the jury is still out on that.

Donation is awesome and a very positive leadership statement, and we are lucky to have him as an alum and an AD, but until he transitions the school thru replacing JB, and Desko, and (hopefully not but) maybe even Dino, people have the right to hold off on judgement. This was a great move, doesn't mean he has a lifetime appointment.
This. I like the guy, and without knowing the real numbers/political forces/exact circumstances, I think he’s done a good job of funding key programs, which is evidenced by football coaching staff upgrades and facilities upgrades. Those realities are presumably possible through better fund raising.

But to your point, he has yet to leave his mark on the department with any big hires or breakout programs. (Which is what really matters. Money is just an enabler.) In fairness to him, the SU AD is probably best when lax and bb are funded and then no other questions are asked (both coaches know how to sail their ships), the Olympic sports that he was handed were the best in school history, so it’s probably best to maintain the course, and the jury is still out in football, but it was underfunded, and he did work to fix that gap. I can’t say that he’s done a lot of high profile things that wouldn’t happen anyway, but in fairness to him, he hasn’t really had to.

My bigger issue is the mouth breathers who take shots at Gross. He handled P’s firing poorly, and he botched the GRob hire (which he somewhat offset by hiring Doug). But he started revamping football facilities, got the Melo Center built, and turned SU into an Olympic sports power vs the backwater that’s it was - all while dealing with the realities of a BIG EAST payout (which he turned into an ACC payout) and a relatively unsupportive local government. I’ve been told that his compensation package was based around olympic sports/director’s cup standings. If so, then that explains a lot, and it’s the real root of the problem. The guy or gal (*looks at Nancy*) who decided to use that approach vs football/basketball/lax should be fired.

TL;DR - You’re right. JW is given a bunch of unexplained benefits of the doubt, especially vs his peer (DG), but I’m willing to give him that benefit of the doubt because he hasn’t screwed anything up, and he has left a favorable mark where he’s been able to leave a mark.

This. I like the guy, and without knowing the real numbers/political forces/exact circumstances, I think he’s done a good job of funding key programs, which is evidenced by football coaching staff upgrades and facilities upgrades. Those realities are presumably possible through better fund raising.

But to your point, he has yet to leave his mark on the department with any big hires or breakout programs. (Which is what really matters. Money is just an enabler.) In fairness to him, the SU AD is probably best when lax and bb are funded and then no other questions are asked (both coaches know how to sail their ships), the Olympic sports that he was handed were the best in school history, so it’s probably best to maintain the course, and the jury is still out in football, but it was underfunded, and he did work to fix that gap. I can’t say that he’s done a lot of high profile things that wouldn’t happen anyway, but in fairness to him, he hasn’t really had to.

My bigger issue is the mouth breathers who take shots at Gross. He handled P’s firing poorly, and he botched the GRob hire (which he somewhat offset by hiring Doug). But he started revamping football facilities, got the Melo Center built, and turned SU into an Olympic sports power vs the backwater that’s it was - all while dealing with the realities of a BIG EAST payout (which he turned into an ACC payout) and a relatively unsupportive local government. I’ve been told that his compensation package was based around olympic sports/director’s cup standings. If so, then that explains a lot, and it’s the real root of the problem. The guy or gal (*looks at Nancy*) who decided to use that approach vs football/basketball/lax should be fired.

TL;DR - You’re right. JW is given a bunch of unexplained benefits of the doubt, especially vs his peer (DG), but I’m willing to give him that benefit of the doubt because he hasn’t screwed anything up, and he has left a favorable mark where he’s been able to leave a mark.

He didn't hire Marrone. He couldn't convince Skip Holtz to come here (thank god), and I think he was sniffing around Edsall as well. After that history of success the hire was given over to I think Tim Green, Floyd, and others.

Gross was a feather bedding bs artist that put hoops and the school at risk by how he got involved with the Fab Melo fiasco.

He didn't hire Marrone. He couldn't convince Skip Holtz to come here (thank god), and I think he was sniffing around Edsall as well. After that history of success the hire was given over to I think Tim Green, Floyd, and others.

Gross was a feather bedding bs artist that put hoops and the school at risk by how he got involved with the Fab Melo fiasco.
Gross also had nothing to do with getting the Melo Center built. JB and Juli raised the money by themselves. Gross and his crew were awful at raising money (but very good spending it).

Who gave them that authority? Was it Nancy, did he delegate it, or did the BoT get involved?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom