John Wildhack on attendance records, TV blackouts and Nike deal | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack on attendance records, TV blackouts and Nike deal

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments from y'all on this article...especially the Nike negotiations. It's not just another uniform thread. ;)

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments from y'all on this article...especially the Nike negotiations. It's not just another uniform thread. ;)
I have to be judicious about how many articles I click on the Syracuse.com. I read it, but I didn't find much that I couldn't otherwise surmise on my own.

The Nike deal has been in the works for a while, everyone hates the blackouts, and we are gonna have a huge crowd for Duke. The best piece of info in there was the push to set the women's attendance record.

Frustration with blackouts is quickly becoming apathy on my part.

I’m not going nuts looking for a stream, I’m not frantically checking every possible channel it could be on, etc.

Not even checking the score more than a few times a half.

Screw it. Who cares.

I have to be judicious about how many articles I click on the Syracuse.com. I read it, but I didn't find much that I couldn't otherwise surmise on my own.

The Nike deal has been in the works for a while, everyone hates the blackouts, and we are gonna have a huge crowd for Duke. The best piece of info in there was the push to set the women's attendance record.
VPN

You should be able to switch your IP around and not be bothered by this.

ADJW is an Orange TREASURE.

We quite literally could not possibly have hired a better person for this job.

That said, we do owe Coyle some props for doing us 2 solids:
* Hiring Dino. :cool:
* Then leaving. ;)

We have all the right people in all the right places, doing all the right things.

I have never felt better about the future of Orange athletics than at this time.

VPN will not usable pretty soon as more stuff goes to stream. the APP still knows where you are and in talking with some APP coders its just a matter of wanting to shut things down or not.. Right now its about getting the people converted and living with the losses, but thats not a long term thing.. some Apps like TW already know it and VPN doesnt work.

I’d like to think that one big reason why JW listens to the fans is that he used to be a poster on this board.

Does Wildhack ever get asked about the Liberty series?

He seems like a nice and thoughtful guy, but I'm not sure he approaches the world from that perspective (if I'm catching your implication correctly). He's looking through the prism of on-field matters.

That various trustees and Syverud aren't asked about Liberty is another question.

Frustration with blackouts is quickly becoming apathy on my part.

I’m not going nuts looking for a stream, I’m not frantically checking every possible channel it could be on, etc.

Not even checking the score more than a few times a half.

Screw it. Who cares.

I think the bigger issue, if these blacked out games have actually been available on www.theACC.com, why are we only hearing about this now and why isn't it listed as a streaming option on cuse.com??

The fact that there has been streams available and the school does not list it as a streamable media option is efffffing stupid.

We shouldn't have to find out about this as a footnote in a Wildhack interview after 2/3 of the season is over...

VPN will not usable pretty soon as more stuff goes to stream. the APP still knows where you are and in talking with some APP coders its just a matter of wanting to shut things down or not.. Right now its about getting the people converted and living with the losses, but thats not a long term thing.. some Apps like TW already know it and VPN doesnt work.

There will be legal battles and class action law suits over this.

Yes VPN can mask your location and make other servers think that you are logging on from region X even though you are in region Y.

That said, the broader use of VPN is for added security encryption of your personal web traffic. A user should not have to disable VPN and significantly lessen their web security in order to use a streaming service.

It can and will be legally argued that forcing a user to do so is an unfair and insecure business practice.

I wish all the Liberty smack just go to the OT board. This is getting real tiresome. I get it some of you don't agree with their religion and politics...but vent over there in the "OT echo chamber". Do not junk up the FB board over political/religious issues.

For now...
It's a cat and mouse game.

There will be legal battles and class action law suits over this.

Yes VPN can mask your location and make other servers think that you are logging on from region X even though you are in region Y.

That said, the broader use of VPN is for added security encryption of your personal web traffic. A user should not have to disable VPN and significantly lessen their web security in order to use a streaming service.

It can and will be legally argued that forcing a user to do so is an unfair and insecure business practice.

any app running still knows the path its taking to get to where its going.. VPN doesnt stop any of that.. most apps dont fully care. TW does, it wont be long before most do once they care about the lost revenue. VPN stops the server from following the path not the APP itself.

any app running still knows the path its taking to get to where its going.. VPN doesnt stop any of that.. most apps dont fully care. TW does, it wont be long before most do once they care about the lost revenue. VPN stops the server from following the path not the APP itself.

If the content rights owners want to traceroute pathing within their apps and block regions at the app level, fine.No problem with that. Imagine making the apps smarter!

If they blacklist bucketloads of VPN server IP's (which some services currently do) they are in for a big legal battle that they will lose.

I wish all the Liberty smack just go to the OT board. This is getting real tiresome. I get it some of you don't agree with their religion and politics...but vent over there in the "OT echo chamber". Do not junk up the FB board over political/religious issues.
You would think SU was the only P5 program on their schedule.:rolleyes:

I think the bigger issue, if these blacked out games have actually been available on www.theACC.com, why are we only hearing about this now and why isn't it listed as a streaming option on cuse.com??

The fact that there has been streams available and the school does not list it as a streamable media option is efffffing stupid.

We shouldn't have to find out about this as a footnote in a Wildhack interview after 2/3 of the season is over...

Do you pay attention to the TV/Radio thread that's pinned to the top of the board for every game?

Do you pay attention to the TV/Radio thread that's pinned to the top of the board for every game?

No, I have been going to the su athletics site to see media coverage options.

But I see your point.

That said, the 3rd party fan forum having better / more complete media listings than the su athletics site for every raycom game is still unacceptable.

Easy, Mark, it's not about politics or religion, and it's not OT venting.

It's topical: SU's football scheduling decisions are popular fodder on here. It's no different than the back and forth 7 or 8 years ago about whether SU should keep Penn State on the schedule (and I don't remember anyone getting upset about that talk on a football board). It's what bored football fans do when there's an opponent whose name is in the news for the wrong reasons. I don't know why this bothers some so much.

TW does, it wont be long before most do once they care about the lost revenue.
In my case that would be counterproductive. I use a VPN when I can’t see a game or event any other way. Last October I was on a cruise ship and had to use VPN to catch a ‘Cuse game, as well as the embedded ads. I already paid to watch the content, ESPN received additional revenue from the advertiser.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom