Johns Hopkins to Seek Conference Affiliation | Syracusefan.com

Johns Hopkins to Seek Conference Affiliation

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
<This is the new thing to do when you miss out on the tourney, i guess.>

In a letter to the University today, Johns Hopkins President Ronald J. Daniels announced that the men's lacrosse team would pursue conference affiliation after the completion of a committee's two-month exploration and subsequent recommendation of the issue.

In the letter, Daniels wrote: "In the two months since it was formed, the committee has worked diligently to understand the landscape and to consider whether we should make a change. … The committee’s unanimous conclusion, transmitted to me last week, is that Johns Hopkins and its men’s lacrosse student-athletes would best be served by our seeking affiliation for men’s lacrosse only with an NCAA Division I conference. That conclusion was based on committee members’ conviction that such a move will provide our university and history’s most-successful lacrosse program the best opportunity for continued leadership at the highest level of intercollegiate competition. It was based on their conviction that joining a Division I conference for men’s lacrosse is the best course for our athletes, our program and our university, and that it can be done without compromise to our academic integrity or athletic traditions.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/05/17/johns-hopkins-seek-conference-affiliation

Wasn't there speculation that it would be with the new B1G conference now that Maryland and Rutgers are moving there next year and Michigan upgraded?

Michigan
Penn St.
OSU
Rutgers
Maryland
Johns Hopkins

Decent enough conference

Wasn't there speculation that it would be with the new B1G conference now that Maryland and Rutgers are moving there next year and Michigan upgraded?

Michigan
Penn St.
OSU
Rutgers
Maryland
Johns Hopkins

Decent enough conference

If JHU joined that conference it would be the death knell for them as an elite program (not that they really have been one since 08). JHU considers themselves the bluest of all the Lax blue bloods, them joining a conference with a bunch of programs, most of which werent even playing lacrosse 15 years ago is highly unlikely in my mind. Ouside of Maryland there are no teams with tradition/history that JHU and there alumni crave involvement with.

I would think the Patriot or ACC would be the way to go for them.

This is TexanMarks dream! He's been screaming for the ACC to grab them forever... Probably doesn't matter that Louisville is creating a team... Imagine going into a conference with SU, UVA, UNC, Duke, JHU, ND... HELLO!

Patriot would be the best match academically and with the lack of scholarships.

Patriot would be the best match academically and with the lack of scholarships.

Not enough high end teams in the Patriot, I dont see that as a good fit.

I would think the Patriot or ACC would be the way to go for them.

ACC is a no go, no partial members. Most likely is Big 10, though I believe JHU would prefer the ACC. Dont be surprised if JHU doesnt end up staying Independent after all, I expect a big backlash from there alumni.

They get the AQ they want then.

Alumni Backlash, they have to balance the two out. There fans arent going to go along with playing the sisters of the poor just so they can make the tourney.

Alumni Backlash, they have to balance the two out. There fans arent going to go along with playing the sisters of the poor just so they can make the tourney.

The alternative though is staying home like they did this year. I can't imagine their fans being happy with playing in the midwest either.

The alternative though is staying home like they did this year. I can't imagine their fans being happy with playing in the midwest either.

The alternative will be that Petro is fired, he is definitely on the hot seat and the vultures are starting to circle. Remember your not talking about a johnny come lately to the Lax scene your talking Johns Hopkins. They consider themselves the Dukes of the Lax world. There not just going to join any conference to get an AQ. It would be as if Duke was an independent in bball and then joined the new AAC conference because they get an AQ. I expect a ton of backlash from there alumni on this. The only conference that makes any type of remote sense for JHU is the ACC and thats not happening.

Just to piggy back of that, the Ivy League would make sense as well but thats not happening either.

Remember JHU has a deal with ESPN when talking about conference affiliation. All of Hopkins home games are on ESPNU or at worst ESPN3 maybe 1 or 2. They will want to keep that contract like ND with NBC. If I were Swofford I would offer Hopkins ACC membership say keep all your own TV money and shut out the B1G from getting a blue blood program. The ACC won't need anything from Hopkins, but to play Notre Dame, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia each year. Hopkins already plays 3 of these schools annually and adding Notre Dame and one of UVA/Duke each year isn't going to hurt their SOS and the ACC tournament would be a war each year. Plus, this would allow ACC schools to recruit Baltimore HS LAX leagues like they do now.

ACC is a no go, no partial members. Most likely is Big 10, though I believe JHU would prefer the ACC. Dont be surprised if JHU doesnt end up staying Independent after all, I expect a big backlash from there alumni.
How is Johns Hopkins a partial member? They a D3 program in everything, but LAX. I doubt ANY ACC school would object to them being associated with the ACC. It would be North Carolina, Virginia's way of tweaking Maryland.

This is TexanMarks dream! He's been screaming for the ACC to grab them forever... Probably doesn't matter that Louisville is creating a team... Imagine going into a conference with SU, UVA, UNC, Duke, JHU, ND... HELLO!
Why hold an NCAA tournament

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

How is Johns Hopkins a partial member? They a D3 program in everything, but LAX. I doubt ANY ACC school would object to them being associated with the ACC. It would be North Carolina, Virginia's way of tweaking Maryland.

What you just oultined is the definition of a partial member.

Remember JHU has a deal with ESPN when talking about conference affiliation. All of Hopkins home games are on ESPNU or at worst ESPN3 maybe 1 or 2. They will want to keep that contract like ND with NBC. If I were Swofford I would offer Hopkins ACC membership say keep all your own TV money and shut out the B1G from getting a blue blood program. The ACC won't need anything from Hopkins, but to play Notre Dame, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia each year. Hopkins already plays 3 of these schools annually and adding Notre Dame and one of UVA/Duke each year isn't going to hurt their SOS and the ACC tournament would be a war each year. Plus, this would allow ACC schools to recruit Baltimore HS LAX leagues like they do now.

Theres no real benefit for the ACC to let in JHU. First off as I noted they dont allow partial members. Second at some point a conference becomes overkill, With UNC, Duke, UVA, Syracuse, and ND you allready have 5 teams who are constantly in the top 15, you need a couple bottom feeders. Third all those schools allready recruit Baltimore regardless of whether or not they play JHU. Forcing JHU to play teams in the Midwest that most fans dont even know filed a lacrosse team will help JHU to become further irrelevant then they have become since 08. Theres no reason for the ACC to rescue JHU.

What you just oultined is the definition of a partial member.
I understand that, but 10 of 15 ACC schools would have no contact with Johns Hopkins and would have absolutely no burden placed on them by allowing Hopkins to join an ACC Lax league. If adding JHU would impact the entire ACC I could see some schools objecting, but this helps the conference and JHU equally. I think its a 3 horse race for Hopkins 1. B1G, 2. ACC 3.Patriot League. If JHU wants the CIC they go B1G, if they want the best league they go ACC, if they want a league they can dominate and get an easy auto-bid each year they go Patriot League.

Theres no real benefit for the ACC to let in JHU. First off as I noted they dont allow partial members. Second at some point a conference becomes overkill, With UNC, Duke, UVA, Syracuse, and ND you allready have 5 teams who are constantly in the top 15, you need a couple bottom feeders. Third all those schools allready recruit Baltimore regardless of whether or not they play JHU. Forcing JHU to play teams in the Midwest that most fans dont even know filed a lacrosse team will help JHU to become further irrelevant then they have become since 08. Theres no reason for the ACC to rescue JHU.
If a conference has 6 members they get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament and can't play each other in the first or second round of the tournament. Maryland-North Carolina played first round in the NCAA tournament 3 years ago because the ACC isn't sanctioned as an official LAX league with the NCAA. Duke-North Carolina have met in the 2nd round numerous times in the tournament. By having 6 members you are basically giving SU a lot easier path to the Final Four each year if they won't have to play ACC teams first round and obviously the 2nd round rule would be tweaked as I could see all 6 team making the tournament each year which would make it impossible to not play potential in the quarterfinals. This is something that should be encouraged. Hopkins isn't going to die no matter how much we don't like them they are in Baltimore and will recruit, and the B1G and Patriot League will both take them if they are available.

I understand that, but 10 of 15 ACC schools would have no contact with Johns Hopkins and would have absolutely no burden placed on them by allowing Hopkins to join an ACC Lax league. If adding JHU would impact the entire ACC I could see some schools objecting, but this helps the conference and JHU equally. I think its a 3 horse race for Hopkins 1. B1G, 2. ACC 3.Patriot League. If JHU wants the CIC they go B1G, if they want the best league they go ACC, if they want a league they can dominate and get an easy auto-bid each year they go Patriot League.

I dont necessarily disagree with your premise but again as Swofford has noted, the ACC has no interest in any type of partial member unless he is going to break that rule I dont see how JHU is even on the ACC's radar. Second I dont see how JHU joining the conference helps the ACC less the lax playing schools. JHU is not that far from there championship days but overall there a shadow of what they were in there hay day. Hopkins isnt trying to join a conference to help anyone out but themselves and if you knew how much they valued there independence then you realize how far up sh$t creek they are right now.

If a conference has 6 members they get an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament and can't play each other in the first or second round of the tournament. Maryland-North Carolina played first round in the NCAA tournament 3 years ago because the ACC isn't sanctioned as an official LAX league with the NCAA. Duke-North Carolina have met in the 2nd round numerous times in the tournament. By having 6 members you are basically giving SU a lot easier path to the Final Four each year if they won't have to play ACC teams first round and obviously the 2nd round rule would be tweaked as I could see all 6 team making the tournament each year which would make it impossible to not play potential in the quarterfinals. This is something that should be encouraged. Hopkins is going to die no matter how much we don't like them they are in Baltimore and will recruit, and the B1G and Patriot League will both take them if they are available.

The ACC has six teams next year with Maryland's final year and then they have a 3 year window to secure a new team or lose the AQ again. If Lville doesnt pick up lacrosee (which at this point seems inevitable) the ACC can offer anyone membership that they choose if there going to break there no partial membership rule. SU's path to the final four is goign to be difficult in the ACC regardless of whether JHU is there or not. Forcing JHU to play Rutgers, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State every year will slowly kill there elite level status.

The ACC has six teams next year with Maryland's final year and then they have a 3 year window to secure a new team or lose the AQ again. If Lville doesnt pick up lacrosee (which at this point seems inevitable) the ACC can offer anyone membership that they choose if there going to break there no partial membership rule. SU's path to the final four is goign to be difficult in the ACC regardless of whether JHU is there or not. Forcing JHU to play Rutgers, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State every year will slowly kill there elite level status.
Thanks for the info on the 3 yr window I didn't know that. SU's path to the Final Four will be easier in the ACC IMO. As we won't be playing any of those teams in 1st round of the NCAA tournament. We already play ND, UVA each year adding Duke/UNC and Maryland next year will be replacing Georgetown/St. John's/Villanova/PC. I realize our conference will be a beast, but I expect we will compete for the conference title each year, and make the NCAA tournament. I would expect Desko may schedule Colgate/UMass now that we have 1 new opening for next year any idea which is more likely.