Jon Bol Ajak | Syracusefan.com

Jon Bol Ajak

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Listening to, I believe Griff, on Seth’s show today they brought up JBA.

Coach mention JBA is definitely more physical and aggressive than Sidibe is and Chukwu was. While he brings the physical toughness, he doesn’t quite yet have the polished athleticism down low. Gotta say its refreshing hearing that JBA is not afraid to mix it up and bang around down low though.

With this said, Seth also mentioned times he’s seen JBA hitting three after three effortless while shooting around before and after games.

JBA doesn’t regularly practice with the team, as he spends most of his time in the weight room and with recovery (eating). Per Coach he’s added 25-30 lbs of muscle since getting to campus.

Last edited:

Coach mention JBA is definitely more physical and aggressive than Sidibe is and Chukwu was. While he brings the physical toughness, he doesn’t quite yet have the polished athleticism down low. Gotta say its refreshing though hearing that JBA is not afraid to mix it up and bang around down low though.

With this said, Seth also mentioned times he’s seen JBA hitting three after three effortless while shooting around before and after games.

JBA doesn’t regularly practice with the team, as he spends most of his time in the weight room and with recovery (eating). Per Coach he’s added 25-30 lbs of muscle since getting to campus.

Would be awesome if JBA could turn out to be a Kabengele like player for us. Kabengele also redshirted his first year.

GO BOJACK

Netflix-Now-Streaming-BoJack-Horseman-Christmas-Special.jpeg

Coach mention JBA is definitely more physical and aggressive than Sidibe is and Chukwu was. While he brings the physical toughness, he doesn’t quite yet have the polished athleticism down low. Gotta say its refreshing hearing that JBA is not afraid to mix it up and bang around down low though.

Based on observations during pre game, he needs to keep adding weight/girth. Not sure he will ever be a banger.

Based on observations during pre game, he needs to keep adding weight/girth. Not sure he will ever be a banger.
Seems a lot bigger than Edwards and Sidibe when I see them live. That being said I’d agree when you say he still has progress to be made.

Fill me in, who is Seth? Greenberg? Davis?

And do guys really shoot around on the court after games, home and away?

So he's up to what, 190-195?
No seriously, about what does he weigh? Roster lists him at 216, same as Edwards and 7 lbs heaver than Sid. 25-30 pounds would be huge compared to them.

quotes from syracuse.com article

When John Bol Ajak decided to redshirt his freshman season at Syracuse, he considered a multitude of factors. He weighed, at that point, 198 pounds.
Perhaps the most important development with Ajak has been the blossoming of his body. He gained 20 pounds, much of it allocated across his chest and upper arms.
On game days, instead of resting and preparing to play, he attacks the weight room, his focus on upper body, lower body, legs and core. Ajak said he wants to weigh 235 once next season starts. He plans to spend two summer sessions in Syracuse to achieve that goal.

I've also seen JBA knocking down 3's. He can shoot at least reasonably well.

Dream for next season: Sidibe, JBA at center. RS Edwards to bulk him up.

no way in hell he added 30 lbs of muscle that fast without steroids
If its been over 4 months, since he decided to redshirt, and he’s been committed to a D1 university strength and nutrition program, I see no reason to doubt those numbers. The kid’s likely never lifted in his life.

Same. There were good things said during Obokoh's red shirt year, too.
This.

Don't know if it's just subpar recruiting or a lack of bigs skill development due to poor position coaching... It's probably both, since we're consistently poor.

Anyways, not believing the hype, and we should expect more of the same until proven otherwise.

Sat directly behind him last night. He’s as big or slightly bigger than Sidibe, and will probably outsize him by 20ish or so pounds by next season.

bourama’s not a twig either, thats a false narrative on this board. He just isn’t a brute and hasn’t grown into his role completely yet. Had an all time awesome big man performance last night though

It might be the power forward position and Marek/ Quincy where we need just as much if not more improvement . The combo of a wispy inconsistent Marek, the lack of consistency for Quincy for most of the season , the power forward position has also lacked physicality, been just as foul prone and inconsistent. We can’t have both the center and the power forward positions not able to body up, protect the rim from opponent‘s big men and preferably both positions need improvement. Sidibe’s late season improvement, and hopefully the development of Ajok, Edwards bodes well but Guerrier and Dolenzaj have to become more of a physical presence too for this team - otherwise the power forward position maybe just as much, if not more in need of help.

Does Guerrier have asthma or something that might effect his stamina or conditioning? I wish I could remember which game this month that I saw Quincy point towards the bench asking to be taken out. Maybe it was just an odd circumstance but listening to JB mention Quincy not being used to playing big minutes after a few games, I wondered.

As bad as the defense was and Eli/Joe were for most of the game i though the biggest reason we lost the way we did was Marek’s inability to do anything productive and stay out of foul trouble. We needed solid defense, 10-15 points and 5-10 rebounds from him last night. The stupidity of his fouls were maddening.

Last edited:
It might be the power forward position and Marek/ Quincy where we need just as much if not more improvement . The combo of a wispy inconsistent Marek, the lack of consistency for Quincy meant for most of the season , the power forward position has also lacked physicality, been just as foul prone and inconsistent. ...
As poorly as Sidibe played for the first 3/4 of the season (29 games), his numbers aren't much worse than Dolezaj's, especially when his fewer minutes are taken into account.

Average
Minutes
Blocks
Steals
Sidibe
23.4​
5.9​
7.1​
1.4​
1.2​
Dolezaj
33.1​
10.2​
6.6​
0.9​
1.1​

Over the last 3 games, Sidibe's averages have improved: 29 mins., 12.0 pts., 11.7 rebs., 3.7 blks., and 3.0 stls. per game. But Sidibe's defense hasn't been great, and he can't seem to avoid foul trouble, which further weakens his defense.

Theres defiantly still room to grow but the biggest difference between him and Sid / Edwards is natural build.

Yes, they are all skinny right now but JBA has a bigger base. If you look at his legs and calves there is more there to grow into rather than the way Edwards and Sid are built.

Not everyone is built the same and no matter how much someone works out the results are going to be different. My guess is the staff saw a better frame with JBA and that was one of the reasons he was picked to RS.

Theres defiantly still room to grow but the biggest difference between him and Sid / Edwards is natural build.

Yes, they are all skinny right now but JBA has a bigger base. If you look at his legs and calves there is more there to grow into rather than the way Edwards and Sid are built.

Not everyone is built the same and no matter how much someone works out the results are going to be different. My guess is the staff saw a better frame with JBA and that was one of the reasons he was picked to RS.

Boeheim has always recruited centers for their defense more than their offense. I think even Ajok admitted that he is more advanced offensively vs defensively. Imagine Edwards was more ready defensively.

Yea so...not to be overblowing anything but I don't get excited about a lot of recruits. I mean, I went back to school for students seasons to Carmelo, but since then only Flynn Ennis MCW and Dion did I see a lot of recruiting vids for and got excited when perusing stuff on the pay side but like 18 months ago I saw videos and have been excited for JBA and was at first disappointed he was redshirting until I remembered McNabb was a Redshirt Freshman when he beat North Carolina. The shooting at the 5 will be as pure as we have ever seen. He had a few dimes in those recruiting videos too. 6 11 235 that can shoot from anywhere and can pass when his man gets drawn away makes everyone better.

Not to understate my excitement about this news or anything...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom