Class of 2017 - JUCO/Grad Transfer Recruits | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO/Grad Transfer Recruits

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Looking at this roster, I could see the staff making a concerted effort to get some impact players via these two routes. Arguably our best player through 3 games is a grad transfer this year.

Not sure we can get the talent we need to right now going the conventional high school recruiting route.

Assuming we take a full 25 person class every year for the next 3 years, I'd be more than happy if we went 15-18 4 year players and redshirted over half of them and for the remaining 7-10 going JUCO/Grad route for immediate playing time and depth. Maybe every year shift that number from 7-10 down by 2-3 until we don't need more than 1-3 JUCO/Grad players on a given year for some patchwork depth help and upside player potential.

Yeah I think under the circumstances, it makes sense now more than ever. Especially with kids that are graduates of this Baylor type spread program or played a Tampa 2.

Looking at this roster, I could see the staff making a concerted effort to get some impact players via these two routes. Arguably our best player through 3 games is a grad transfer this year.

Not sure we can get the talent we need to right now going the conventional high school recruiting route.

Yeah I think under the circumstances, it makes sense now more than ever. Especially with kids that are graduates of this Baylor type spread program or played a Tampa 2.

I'd have zero problems with this if it is utilized as a supplemental approach. I just don't think it is sustainable, so we have to be careful.

But onesey - twosey 5th year transfers that can upgrade the talent on hand [like Etta-Tawo]? Absolutely.

Assuming we take a full 25 person class every year for the next 3 years, I'd be more than happy if we went 15-18 4 year players and redshirted over half of them and for the remaining 7-10 going JUCO/Grad route for immediate playing time and depth. Maybe every year shift that number from 7-10 down by 2-3 until we don't need more than 1-3 JUCO/Grad players on a given year for some patchwork depth help and upside player potential.
That's why we are in this hole at depth now. Too many JUCOs.
I agree with RF2044 a couple of JUCOs or fifth year transfers is fine but no more than that.

That's why we are in this hole at depth now. Too many JUCOs.
I agree with RF2044 a couple of JUCOs or fifth year transfers is fine but no more than that.

I don't agree with this at all. The reason we have a hole in the depth chart right now is because half the defensive line was kicked off the team and three DBs didn't qualify (only one of which was a JUCO).

Honestly, I am OK with 5-7 JUCO kids next year at the right positions. Forever? Probably not. But due to the spot we are in with attracting top-end talent, trying to find diamonds in the rough is not something that is a sustainable entity, either.

I don't agree with this at all. The reason we have a hole in the depth chart right now is because half the defensive line was kicked off the team and three DBs didn't qualify (only one of which was a JUCO).

Honestly, I am OK with 5-7 JUCO kids next year at the right positions. Forever? Probably not. But due to the spot we are in with attracting top-end talent, trying to find diamonds in the rough is not something that is a sustainable entity, either.

Look up the 2013 recruiting class: 12 JC/prep kids. That is our problem. Add in we took 3 JC's in 2012 and another 2 in 2014, that equals bad bad news.
Now if we can somehow get a 5th year kid and 2 maybe 3 JUCO's this year and THEN a solid 25 high school kids the next TWO cycles I'm all for it. If you go 5-7 you better go 5-7 almost EVERY year, no thanks.

Look up the 2013 recruiting class: 12 JC/prep kids. That is our problem. Add in we took 3 JC's in 2012 and another 2 in 2014, that equals bad bad news.
Now if we can somehow get a 5th year kid and 2 maybe 3 JUCO's this year and THEN a solid 25 high school kids the next TWO cycles I'm all for it. If you go 5-7 you better go 5-7 almost EVERY year, no thanks.

You obviously have to have a plan. Marrone & Shafer had different plans apparently. But in order to build immediate depth and upgrade talent, you need to do unconventional things in Syracuse's position, IMO. That, or get lucky with a few studs that can make an immediate impact.

Or you can be patient and wait for year 4-5. Which I guess I can. Just hopeful we can do something quicker than that.

Well Marrone leaving when he did, how he did, didn't help anything with the 2013 class. Pretty much killed the HS recruiting effort and left Shafer in a position to scramble at the last minute which just led to more JUCO's and Preps.

Thankfully this is really the last year where we can bring that class up. After this season, we'll be 4 recruiting classes out from that and 2 recruiting classes in with the new staff with kids specifically recruited for these systems. I would think after this season we should be in a position where 80%+ of the roster are either kids specifically recruited for this system, kids that carried over that fit the system, or Grad transfers that were brought in to fit this system.

Great idea in concept, just grab really good players that are JUCO's or grad transfers. Unfortunately there are a lot of teams with the same idea and a lot less of those types of players available. The ones left are the ones we typically get, a few pan out and reinforce the idea it's a good idea but a significant percentage never even make it here for varying reasons or never end up being as good as assumed. No way are we getting even 4 - 6 players like ET every year.

I'd have zero problems with this if it is utilized as a supplemental approach. I just don't think it is sustainable, so we have to be careful.

But onesey - twosey 5th year transfers that can upgrade the talent on hand [like Etta-Tawo]? Absolutely.

I agree. I like going after a couple that you think are good fits but I've had an up close look at what it's done to Kansas if too many JUCOs don't pan out. So I'd tread very carefully and not get too carried away.

An in-depth look at Charlie Weis' juco recruits

Dino has 17 committed recruits for this cycle and certainly will land some more HS recruits in closing the class. He can be selective, just as he was in 2015 at BG (starting safety from ND; starting TE from a Kansas Juco) and just as he tried to be in 2016 here (Etta-Tawo, Gabe Sherrod, and the CB Moore). He did not land Sherrod and Moore didn't make it, but with our situation, it makes sense to bring in 2 or 3 players to upgrade positions of need. If he does that for 2, 3 or even 4 spots, it won't upset the normal reliance on HS prospects.

You can count on a minimum of 4 5th jucos

I'd much rather go this route. No risk of not qualifying, no glut on the roster if they don't pan out.

Is there a running list of options? Or does that start generally postseason?

We've also had what I would think is a large number of kids become disqualified for medical reasons, across the DL, OL, etc. Promising players that would have been seniors this year.

We've also had what I would think is a large number of kids become disqualified for medical reasons, across the DL, OL, etc. Promising players that would have been seniors this year.

We have had several - Isaiah Johnson, Tyler Provo, AJ Long, Luke Arcienega, Kyle Knapp, Tyler Marona - and I may still be missing some

We have had several - Isaiah Johnson, Tyler Provo, AJ Long, Luke Arcienega, Kyle Knapp, Tyler Marona - and I may still be missing some

Don't forget Denzel Ward the massive OL from the midwest and Myles Davis. And the lineman from GA who was a good one ... his name escapes me at the moment ... Kristopher Curtis I want to say.

Don't forget Denzel Ward the massive OL from the midwest and Myles Davis. And the lineman from GA who was a good one ... his name escapes me at the moment ... Kristopher Curtis I want to say.

Correct on both of those although Curtis had the rather unique Kristofer spelling for his first name

So too many JUCOs combined with four year kids being medically disqualified and you get the perfect storm of depth shortage.

So too many JUCOs combined with four year kids being medically disqualified and you get the perfect storm of depth shortage.

You can argue that Marrone and Shafer had different philosophies regarding JUCO's, therefore the switch to all freshmen classes created a few pockets of youthful depth. But I'm not sure how you can argue that recruiting JUCO's directly led to lack of depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom