Class of 2017 - Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

The kid is really quick to the ball. I wonder what the coaches thought of him. He would have to put at least 20 pounds to him for LB, unless move to safety if he is fast enough.

Last edited:
Plays quickly with intent. Skills might be very well suited to safety. Inexperience at safety could be an issue but could be a good one at the position.

Should we be worried that a linebacker or two might transfer out? Seems the numbers were good there and now staff wants at least one JUCCO.

So I was looking up Guthrie's 2016 stats, found he led the NJCAA in solo tackles this season. But I also noticed a familiar name - Treevon Prater. Committed here and didn't qualify a few years back. Led the NJCAA this season in Int's with 12.

So I was looking up Guthrie's 2016 stats, found he led the NJCAA in solo tackles this season. But I also noticed a familiar name - Treevon Prater. Committed here and didn't qualify a few years back. Led the NJCAA this season in Int's with 12.
So he ended up at JUCO instead of prep. Prater went to HS in East St Louis, IL where the coaches have offered. Plus before he flipped to SU he was a WMU commit.

Edit..The odd thing is that it show Treevon as a freshman at JUCO. He was a 2014.

Last edited:
Should we be worried that a linebacker or two might transfer out? Seems the numbers were good there and now staff wants at least one JUCCO.
Aside from Franklin, Bennett, and Thomas, our most experienced linebacker is Armstrong.

Seriously, look at the roster. Perry didn't see the field, Cullen was a special teamer, Henderson only played in 5 games, Walton redshirted.

I think they want another proven commodity out there.

Last edited:
Kinda thought of another juco lb,
Josh Kirkland... Would prefer if this kid could play safety...

Aside from Franklin, Bennett, and Thomas, our most experienced linebacker is Anthony Armstrong.

Seriously, look at the roster. Perry didn't see the field, Cullen was a special teamer, Henderson only played in 5 games, Walton redshirted.

I think they want another proven commodity out there.
I think it's Andrew Armstrong, but your point is definitely correct. Getting an impact player to bolster depth would be a nice addition to the LB corps. I think that Walton and Henderson along with Armstrong will be a nice second unit, definitely pushing for more reps as the season progresses. I think Fagan and Richards could push for some reps too, if they don't redshirt. Wouldn't be surprised to see the redshirts happen for depth purposes in the future. A JUCO could help keep one or both of those guys off the field, which I believe would be the right thing to do for future.

I think it's Andrew Armstrong, but your point is definitely correct. Getting an impact player to bolster depth would be a nice addition to the LB corps. I think that Walton and Henderson along with Armstrong will be a nice second unit, definitely pushing for more reps as the season progresses. I think Fagan and Richards could push for some reps too, if they don't redshirt. Wouldn't be surprised to see the redshirts happen for depth purposes in the future. A JUCO could help keep one or both of those guys off the field, which I believe would be the right thing to do for future.
Need to keep in mind that Cullen was hurt all year. He had surgery after the season ended.

EDIT: Btw, I really like this kid tape. I guess the $64k questions is...have we offered?

Need to keep in mind that Cullen was hurt all year. He had surgery after the season ended.

EDIT: Btw, I really like this kid tape. I guess the $64k questions is...have we offered?
Totally forgot to mention Shy. Would really like to see him get some more reps next year.

Is there any possibility of him moving to DB? I think he'd be an absolute killer out there as a centerfielder.

I don't see that coach has offered him yet and for what position.

Not yet. Gotta see where we stand with other targets first

Not yet. Gotta see where we stand with other targets first
HS recruits, JUCO's or both?

Do you have any idea if we're actively recruiting Blair?

Super...Does this mean we will back off LaShawn Phillips? I hope not. But this Guthrie kid is going to be a key player for us I believe. Popcorn

Does this mean Phillips is out? Would they take 2 Juco LBs?

Don't think we will take two
I don't know about that, this Phillips kid is is super talented and I think we could find a place for that kind of player. :noidea:

I don't know about that, this Phillips kid is is super talented and I think we could find a place for that kind of player. :noidea:
Any chance at 6'2 and 210 lbs, Guthrie moves to safety?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom