Class of 2019 - JUCO WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (TX) to Missouri Southern State | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 JUCO WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (TX) to Missouri Southern State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows? Might need to clear some red tape somewhere or check transcripts or some other dumb thing before it can be official.

Or maybe they don't want it messing with their HS level recruiting at the position.
Or he didn't get an official offer from the staff. Lot of possibilities in play.

With my orange colored glasses on it looks like our coaches have asked him to hold off until after the early signing period to announce he is coming here.

May be a replacement for Burnett if he doesn't re-commit ...……….

I disagree.
A top 2016 recruit with all those top offers better than Burnett, who played for K.Martin, going to Texas and having 37 catches for 402 yards and was trusted enough to return 17 punts, one for a TD against the top opponents UT plays against All as a Redshirt Freshman and you think he's put on a hold waiting on what Burnett does? Mapps would graduate when Burnett becomes a So and fully ready to contribute. Watch the highlights of his play again and tell me why you think that again?

A top 2016 recruit with all those top offers better than Burnett, who played for K.Martin, going to Texas and having 37 catches for 402 yards and was trusted enough to return 17 punts, one for a TD against the top opponents UT plays against All as a Redshirt Freshman and you think he's put on a hold waiting on what Burnett does? Mapps would graduate when Burnett becomes a So and fully ready to contribute. Watch the highlights of his play again and tell me why you think that again?

no knowledge but if baggage issues

Last edited:
I think this kid would want to play right away and we, in my estimation, should be fine at the WR position next year.

Kid like Burnett might be just as good as a junior and even better due to him being in the system for 2-3 years by that time.

With my orange colored glasses on it looks like our coaches have asked him to hold off until after the early signing period to announce he is coming here.
Don't think so. Guys announce all the time before signing period. Coaches have no control over when player trumpets commitment on social media. For him to publicly commit and then walk it back means there is something else going on.

I think this kid would want to play right away and we, in my estimation, should be fine at the WR position next year.

Kid like Burnett might be just as good as a junior and even better due to him being in the system for 2-3 years by that time.
Totally agree. Mapps comes and contributes right away while Burnett learns how to get to class on time. Burnett gets some snaps as a RF, then takes Mapps position as a Soph and probably becomes just as good if not better due to the knowledge of the offense. Programs become really good when top talents develop over the first 2 yrs because there is so much talent on the roster ahead of them then dominate for 3 yrs, like when we were in our heydey.

Last edited:
Don't think so. Guys announce all the time before signing period. Coaches have no control over when player trumpets commitment on social media. For him to publicly commit and then walk it back means there is something else going on.
There's a number of reasons this happened from the mundane to the strategic to the bad.
We will all find out soon enough. One thing that popped into my head are final grades. When does he officially graduate from Juco with a final transcript approved by the University? Not on Dec 6th. That could be something. Kid wants to come but SU can't publicly confirm because he doesn't officially have a diploma.

no knowledge but if baggage issues
I'll say it again - I trust Martin if he thinks he has a handle on things. But that may not be an easy call for him.

It could also be a grade issue. I *think* he left Texas in good academic standing. But he'd hardly be the first kid to flounder in the classroom at a JUCO.

I disagree.

I disagree with your disagree. Especially since he's a two year player and Dino can find a new 3-star HS senior with upside next cycle.

Reggie was a top 350ish recruit in the nation, offered by everybody and was Texas' 2nd leading WR as a frosh.

IMO, he is on the team if he makes grades AND doesn't have horrific "skeletons in the closet".

Though I suppose we'll soon see who's correct. Hoping its me though ;)

Hey, hey, hey... What's Happening with Hemphill?

_Picture1335.jpg

I'm a wait and see guy with these things, he's never had a history of staying even at places he seemed happy at. I didn't buy in to the threads of why he should stay because it's just conjecture, really.

I have pretty good reason to believe he's at least not expecting to make a move, I'll leave it at that.
I think that SU fans tend to underestimate the allure of the SU FB brand, especially historically. If you can win at SU, there really are not many better jobs, unless it is all just about money. If you can win here, and amass talent, you have a pretty good chance of competing for the ACC title game. He has shown he can beat Clemson.

I think that SU fans tend to underestimate the allure of the SU FB brand, especially historically. If you can win at SU, there really are not many better jobs, unless it is all just about money. If you can win here, and amass talent, you have a pretty good chance of competing for the ACC title game. He has shown he can beat Clemson.
If you consistently win at any P5 school there aren't much better jobs. Don't overestimate SU because we all love SU. Almost every P5 school have had their time in the sun.

If you consistently win at any P5 school there aren't much better jobs. Don't overestimate SU because we all love SU. Almost every P5 school have had their time in the sun.
I just think all of the folks worried about Dino leaving are under estimating the allure of the SU job. It would take a big offer, or a top 10 FB job, to lure him away, provided that SU pays a fair wage and provides the proper support.

Status
Not open for further replies.