Judah Mintz Summer Update | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz Summer Update

dlegend44

Scout Team
Heard this from a guy that knows a guy playing in some of the summer scrimmage sessions with the new arrivals on campus.

Judah looks two steps quicker than everyone else, has an incredibly tight handle, gets to his spots with ease and can score in bunches! He is a level up from all of the other new players. Mintz will likely be the most impactful freshman we have had in a long time.

I know it is unsubstantiated hearsay and generalized talking points, but it made me hopeful to hear this and I thought I would share :)

LGO!!!!!

Judah-Mintz-1023.jpg

Exactly 20 years ago we had another young freshman from Oak Hill turning heads on campus. Two true freshmen would start that year -- one at guard and one at forward. Now we have another Oak Hill prodigy on campus turning heads, and it looks like two freshmen might start -- one at guard and one at forward. Can Judah bring us back to the promise land?

Great to hear.

Not remotely surprised -- I think this kid is the best recruit we've landed in quite some time. His unorthodox style is going to be fun to watch. He's got a great "feel" for the game -- his up-fakes, jukes, etc. are something to see. Not sure that we've ever had a similar player like this in program history.

Mintz, Taylor and Bunch are going to get a lot of run this year.

I am not worried about Mintz, wasn’t since the day he signed. He will be very good here from Day 1. It just depends on how good Taylor and Bunch are from game 1. They need to be at a minimum average for us to have any chance.

JG3
Edwards
Mintz

These 3 fellas are going to have to carry us every game this year.

Symir
Benny
Taylor
Bunch
Hima

Are going to be our other guys that get minutes pretty much every game. We don’t need them to be studs but they need to compete.

Great to hear.

Not remotely surprised -- I think this kid is the best recruit we've landed in quite some time. His unorthodox style is going to be fun to watch. He's got a great "feel" for the game -- his up-fakes, jukes, etc. are something to see. Not sure that we've ever had a similar player like this in program history.
As many have stated that from watching his Oak Hill televised games with and against higher rated prospects, that Judah fits right in and definitely should have been rated higher. He's got "Stud" written all over him.

As many have stated that from watching his Oak Hill televised games with and against higher rated prospects, that Judah fits right in and definitely should have been rated higher. He's got "Stud" written all over him.
Oak Hill coach Steve Smith said Judah's definitely a 5-star when he keeps it simple.

JB also made a vague reference, which appeared to be about Judah, that he's a future first-rounder.

"When he keeps it simple." From watching his tapes, he likes to handle the ball. Will he make others around him better?

"When he keeps it simple." From watching his tapes, he likes to handle the ball. Will he make others around him better?
Think he may benefit from those around him being able to play to his speed and closer to his talent.

By the looks of his film he’s p5 ready.

Heard this from a guy that knows a guy playing in some of the summer scrimmage sessions with the new arrivals on campus.

Judah looks two steps quicker than everyone else, has an incredibly tight handle, gets to his spots with ease and can score in bunches! He is a level up from all of the other new players. Mintz will likely be the most impactful freshman we have had in a long time.

I know it is unsubstantiated hearsay and generalized talking points, but it made me hopeful to hear this and I thought I would share :)

LGO!!!!!

Judah-Mintz-1023.jpg
Love to hear this! But it’s just so mystifying that we never tried to land at least one experienced forward or pair of forwards out of the transfer portal. We could have been a pre-season top 25 team this season if we’d just gotten an impactful experienced forward to pair with Benny in the frontcourt.

Mintz, Taylor and Bunch are going to get a lot of run this year.

I am not worried about Mintz, wasn’t since the day he signed. He will be very good here from Day 1. It just depends on how good Taylor and Bunch are from game 1. They need to be at a minimum average for us to have any chance.

JG3
Edwards
Mintz

These 3 fellas are going to have to carry us every game this year.

Symir
Benny
Taylor
Bunch
Hima

Are going to be our other guys that get minutes pretty much every game. We don’t need them to be studs but they need to compete.
Seeing that roster... yikes. Need some serious surprises/improvements imo to get back to the tournament. Certainly possible. Either way, looking forward to it as always.

Love to hear this! But it’s just so mystifying that we never tried to land at least one experienced forward or pair of forwards out of the transfer portal.
1. We don't know who we did or didn't try to bring in. May have been rebuffed by our top targets.
And/or
2. Maybe JB feels Benny will be ready and/or the new guys were told no toward transfers were going to be sought.

1. We don't know who we did or didn't try to bring in. May have been rebuffed by our top targets.
And/or
2. Maybe JB feels Benny will be ready and/or the new guys were told no toward transfers were going to be sought.
We never tried to bring in any transfers. This has been established by Dasher, Bulldog and others. The assistants were pleading with JB to go after an experienced transfer forward once Cole declared but he didn’t want to.

Mintz will make Benny a much better player

The hard thing for Mintz will be that as he shoulders a heavy load he doesn't have a Cole Swider to help him in return. Luckily he has Jesse and Joe but one of the forwards has to be more than just serviceable if we want to dance. Another two need to be contributors as well.

Love to hear this! But it’s just so mystifying that we never tried to land at least one experienced forward or pair of forwards out of the transfer portal. We could have been a pre-season top 25 team this season if we’d just gotten an impactful experienced forward to pair with Benny in the frontcourt.
Obvious that Cole made the right decision for himself but if he had come back could have turned into top 10 type team.

Or pushed harder or begged Cole to come back.

Yeah I mean look around the country. Better players stuck around after being wooed back.
I believe jb didn't want to risk a frosh forward transferring after not playing behind Cole. Crazy.
College hoop is a year to year thing now. With Cole, Mintz, Joe and Jesse, all we need is one forward to be pretty good. Now we need 2.

I believe jb didn't want to risk a frosh forward transferring after not playing behind Cole. Crazy.
College hoop is a year to year thing now. With Cole, Mintz, Joe and Jesse, all we need is one forward to be pretty good. Now we need 2.

Yeah and until proven otherwise it's not out of reach that all 3 frosh forwards could struggle. Nobody is close to a sure thing. Hell even Benny should be in that discussion.

Even last season I didn't feel we had a player who could settle things down and be a leader when things went sideways. To me the closest to that personality was Cole and he was starting to be that guy at times as the season ended. Really isn't in Joe or Jesse's DNA. So can a frosh play that role i.e. Mintz? I really hope so... or maybe Symir can too? Just so many questions

IF Mintz can get us better looks in close out situations we will be better. We had too many close games last year where our offense at the end was iso featuring guys who aren't/weren't iso players. Mintz will hopefully give us that and JB will hopefully work up some things that allow us to get looks at the end of games.

Obvious that Cole made the right decision for himself but if he had come back could have turned into top 10 type team.
I’d say top 25 team. Top 10?!?

Yeah, that is insanity. With Cole, this team really looks like at least a top 25 team. That would make it easier to recruit the next great forward. Another middling season and we are lucky to get top 100 recruits. If that was JB's thinking, it isn't very logical.

IF Mintz can get us better looks in close out situations we will be better. We had too many close games last year where our offense at the end was iso featuring guys who aren't/weren't iso players. Mintz will hopefully give us that and JB will hopefully work up some things that allow us to get looks at the end of games.
I assume Joe and Judah will share ballhandling responsibilities and really hope that's the case. I worry about Joe chucking and not giving up the ball if he's the primary ballhandler.