Judy Delp | Syracusefan.com

Judy Delp

For what it's worth (nada!), I got the answer. Gail Fuchs was the Orange Girl when I was in the band during the mid-60's.

For what it's worth (nada!), I got the answer. Gail Fuchs was the Orange Girl when I was in the band during the mid-60's.
Gail was my OG too, and then Colleen, a Miss Teenage America joined her in '66. Sometimes she would march in front of me and I'd try to goose her with my trombone slide. lol

That was when we had a true, Big Ten-style marching band... not the glorified drum and bugle corps style today.

Last edited:
Gail was my OG too, and then Colleen, a Miss Teenage America joined her in '66. Sometimes she would march in front of me and I'd try to goose her with my trombone slide. lol

That was when we had a true, Big Ten-style marching band... not the glorified drum and bugle corps style today.
So why is band retention an issue these days?

She was the "Orange Girl" in 1960, (and maybe 1959 as well), and she appeared on "To Tell the Truth" in November 21st of that year. Jim Brown and Ernie Davis get a mention. Syracuse University's 'Orange Girl' tradition turns 70

Here is an old film on baton twirlers. Judy appears just before the 1:03 mark.

It includes her speaking and a short clip of her performing at a SU-ND game at Yankee Stadium.

So why is band retention an issue these days?
Band wagon effect (pun intended). The band gets larger when the team is a consistent winner. One or two winning seasons a decade doesn't help. When I was in the band, we would go to an away game every year. I remember staying in hotels for BC and MD games. We went to Penn State, but I don't believe it was overnight. We could also count on a bowl game every couple of years, even went there weren't that many bowl games. A southern school was always the home team so realistically we didn't have as many opportunities. I had great fun at the Sugar Bowl and the Gator Bowl, even though we lost both games.

Just watched this again.

- Is the place where the top bands play near Syracuse (circa 1960), referred to by Don Ameche at 11:15 likely Three Rivers Inn?
HISTORY OF SYRACUSE MUSIC - CHAPTER 17 - THREE RIVERS INN NIGHTCLUB, 1934- 2001 (Updated 5/3/2013)

- It's interesting that none of them know when Jim Brown last played for SU or where he was playing now, at the height of his career, even Julie, the Orange Girl, someone says something I couldn't make out 11:48.

- Nonetheless, #2 says our victory string was broken by Pittsburgh and Army, which is correct.

- This bio of Grover Dale doesn't say that eh was a baton twirler but who knows, he might have been that on the side. He seems like a very talented man: Grover Dale - Wikipedia

- Claudette Riley: Sisk, Claudette Riley « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame
I came up empty on 'Sandy Woods'.

- Carol Wanek: https://vault.si.com/vault/1957/03/25/pat-on-the-back
and if you are a subscriber:
Ice Star, 16, Makes Up for Lost Time; Carol Wanek Began Figure Skating at 'Old Age' of 11 Now She Practices 3 Hours Daily, 6 Days a Week Nationals Her Goal (Published 1957)
and

FWIW I had a cousin (Lise Wennerholm) who knew Mark Goodson (one of the producers of the show along with Bill Todman). Googson/Todman produced a spate of game shows back in the day. Lise worked on the show in the later years and I've seen her name as an associate producer listed in the credits. I didn't know her well, but she lived in the same building in Manhattan as To Tell the Truth regular panelist Peggy Cass. Loved that Kitty Carlisle was in a Marx Bros. movie, was married to playwright Moss Hart and was a grand ole dame of the theater and arts scene in NYC.
I always enjoyed those old timey game shows where low key wit paired with well-mannered behaviors constituted entertainment. I'll sometimes binge on What's My Line - especially when Groucho was on the panel.
Check out this I've Got a Secret w/host Garry Moore clip. It's topic boggles my mind:

Last edited:
Just watched this again.

- Is the place where the top bands play near Syracuse (circa 1960), referred to by Don Ameche at 11:15 likely Three Rivers Inn?
HISTORY OF SYRACUSE MUSIC - CHAPTER 17 - THREE RIVERS INN NIGHTCLUB, 1934- 2001 (Updated 5/3/2013)

- It's interesting that none of them know when Jim Brown last played for SU or where he was playing now, at the height of his career, even Julie, the Orange Girl, someone says something I couldn't make out 11:48.

- Nonetheless, #2 says our victory string was broken by Pittsburgh and Army, which is correct.

- This bio of Grover Dale doesn't say that eh was a baton twirler but who knows, he might have been that on the side. He seems like a very talented man: Grover Dale - Wikipedia

- Claudette Riley: Sisk, Claudette Riley « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame
I came up empty on 'Sandy Woods'.

- Carol Wanek: https://vault.si.com/vault/1957/03/25/pat-on-the-back
and if you are a subscriber:
Ice Star, 16, Makes Up for Lost Time; Carol Wanek Began Figure Skating at 'Old Age' of 11 Now She Practices 3 Hours Daily, 6 Days a Week Nationals Her Goal (Published 1957)
and
If I remember correctly, Pittsburg beat us 10 to 0 to break our string