Just a little reminder how far we've come... | Syracusefan.com

Just a little reminder how far we've come...

Rocco

Watching you.

Kudos to Marrone, the staff, the true fans & players... yet again. Glad we are past that shitbox.

Could only make it through 3 minutes - still too painful to watch.

Makes you appreciate what we have now...

And some continue to debate if a corner has been turned... that wasn't a corner, it was a bottomless pit the program climbed out of.

Thanks for the reminder, Rocco.

And I'd actually forgotten about that Akron loss...

If you play Akron 1,000 times, how many times should you beat them? "I don't know," says Gump. DG should have fired him right then and there on the spot.

Man, what an absolute nightmare.

He had a lot on his plate.

I think I can.

little-engine-that-could.jpg

Craig James got it.

Corso is an idiot. Guess when we lost NJ. 2001.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If you play Akron 1,000 times, how many times should you beat them? "I don't know," says Gump. DG should have fired him right then and there on the spot.

Man, what an absolute nightmare.

Then they show Gross' response to that question: "1,000 times. We're Syracuse, they're Akron, it's really that simple."

Fortunately, that was the last year of our living hell. He got canned after that season. But not before he still won in South Bend, lol.

It was a very unfortunate era. The coach deserves his share, but there were so many other factors. He is a good man, and his wife and son are good people. He was surely in the wrong place at the wrong time (think Terry Shea at Rutgers), and his failings helped create a perfect storm, but his late hire and rush to hire a staff that turned out to be of little assistance (especially on offense) put him behind the 8-ball from the get-go. I believe this was a program failure in which the coach was merely one symptom. If there is any good to come out of it, it sent notice in no uncertain terms that the university's policy of robbing football revenues for the general fund had to end immediately and a significant infusion of capital would be needed to at least approach the creation of an equal playing field. The good news is 1.) they recognized that and have made strides to correct the situation and 2.) they hired the right man for the job at that crisis moment, one who whether he succeeded or failed W/L-wise would create a foundation for long-term competitiveness. It appears the crisis is over, although in this world it seems you're only as good as your last game.

It was a very unfortunate era. The coach deserves his share, but there were so many other factors. He is a good man, and his wife and son are good people. He was surely in the wrong place at the wrong time (think Terry Shea at Rutgers), and his failings helped create a perfect storm, but his late hire and rush to hire a staff that turned out to be of little assistance (especially on offense) put him behind the 8-ball from the get-go. I believe this was a program failure in which the coach was merely one symptom. If there is any good to come out of it, it sent notice in no uncertain terms that the university's policy of robbing football revenues for the general fund had to end immediately and a significant infusion of capital would be needed to at least approach the creation of an equal playing field. The good news is 1.) they recognized that and have made strides to correct the situation and 2.) they hired the right man for the job at that crisis moment, one who whether he succeeded or failed W/L-wise would create a foundation for long-term competitiveness. It appears the crisis is over, although is this world it seems you're only as good as your last game.

Great post Dave...

The good news is 1.) they recognized that and have made strides to correct the situation and 2.) they hired the right man for the job at that crisis moment, one who whether he succeeded or failed W/L-wise would create a foundation for long-term competitiveness. It appears the crisis is over, although in this world it seems you're only as good as your last game.
I really like when you post here, Dave. You gave us some nice perspective on Robinson punctuated with "The Crisis Is Over". Many thanks...

I really like when you post here, Dave. You gave us some nice perspective on Robinson punctuated with "The Crisis Is Over". Many thanks...

Good thing he didn't post that the corner was turned...

It was a very unfortunate era. The coach deserves his share, but there were so many other factors. He is a good man, and his wife and son are good people. He was surely in the wrong place at the wrong time (think Terry Shea at Rutgers), and his failings helped create a perfect storm, but his late hire and rush to hire a staff that turned out to be of little assistance (especially on offense) put him behind the 8-ball from the get-go. I believe this was a program failure in which the coach was merely one symptom. If there is any good to come out of it, it sent notice in no uncertain terms that the university's policy of robbing football revenues for the general fund had to end immediately and a significant infusion of capital would be needed to at least approach the creation of an equal playing field. The good news is 1.) they recognized that and have made strides to correct the situation and 2.) they hired the right man for the job at that crisis moment, one who whether he succeeded or failed W/L-wise would create a foundation for long-term competitiveness. It appears the crisis is over, although in this world it seems you're only as good as your last game.
This is dead-on. A lot of people want to put the blame on just one person or circumstance but you correctly point out it was the culmination of several things that contributed to the demise of the program. I think a lot of fans demonize Robinson because he was at the helm when everything crashed.

I genuinely felt bad for him at the end because I think his heart was in the right place. But, I was happy for the change.

This is dead-on. A lot of people want to put the blame on just one person or circumstance but you correctly point out it was the culmination of several things that contributed to the demise of the program. I think a lot of fans demonize Robinson because he was at the helm when everything crashed.

I genuinely felt bad for him at the end because I think his heart was in the right place. But, I was happy for the change.

Met Robinson a few times, great guy. Truly. He is clearly the poster child for SU's downfall because he was at the helm when we hit rock bottom. Alot of blame can also be placed on P's shoulders for failing to adequately recruit down the stretch, and the fact the school treated the football program like a castaway.

All in all, things are on the up and up in a big way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom