Just balance the HCDM scales a little bit... | Syracusefan.com

Just balance the HCDM scales a little bit...

OrangeFoo

All American
With the insane amount of HCDM hate flying around this board the last few weeks I thought it would only be fair to point out that this weeks MMQB column on CNN has a section entirely devoted to Marrone and his taking Manuel over Nassib: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_t11_a3#all

Please just stop with all the hate... the man saved this program. Did he leave in a really shitty way? Yup sure did, but that doesn't erase the previous 3 or 4 years. Football both in the NFL and in college is a big business and one thing I've learned is that in today's business world there is no room for loyalty or sentimentality. You take the money and better opportunity when it's there because there is no guarantee it will be there the next day.

Now we can argue whether coaching the Buffalo Bills is a better opportunity than coaching the Syracuse Orange but at the end of the day it's a matter of personal choice.

Football both in the NFL and in college is a big business and one thing I've learned is that in today's business world there is no room for loyalty or sentimentality.

Agree with everything except this. I believe there is room for loyalty in business and can take you far as long as it is done intelligently. But loyalty isn't black-and-white and is dependent on various perspectives. But it is important in the business world, imo.

That said, Marrone was incredibly loyal to Syracuse University by leaving an excellent job in the NFL in 2008 at a time when his career as a football coach was undoubtedly ascending. He was not only willing but emphatic in risking all of that in order to save his alma mater's and home state's flagship football program. And best of all - he was successful at doing it.

And posters here have the gall to trash Marrone's dignity and claim he is disloyal? An absolute crock of sh#t.

Agree with everything except this. I believe there is room for loyalty in business and can take you far as long as it is done intelligently. But loyalty isn't black-and-white and is dependent on various perspectives. But it is important in the business world, imo.

That said, Marrone was incredibly loyal to Syracuse University by leaving an excellent job in the NFL in 2008 at a time when his career as a football coach was undoubtedly ascending. He was not only willing but emphatic in risking all of that in order to save his alma mater's and home state's flagship football program. And best of all - he was successful at doing it.

And posters here have the gall to trash Marrone's dignity and claim he is disloyal? An absolute crock of sh#t.

this post is completely ludicrous

what did he get paid in new orleans and what did he get paid at Syracuse?

just a guess but i guess it was way more for the latter

With the insane amount of HCDM hate flying around this board the last few weeks I thought it would only be fair to point out that this weeks MMQB column on CNN has a section entirely devoted to Marrone and his taking Manuel over Nassib: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_t11_a3#all

Please just stop with all the hate... the man saved this program. Did he leave in a really shitty way? Yup sure did, but that doesn't erase the previous 3 or 4 years. Football both in the NFL and in college is a big business and one thing I've learned is that in today's business world there is no room for loyalty or sentimentality. You take the money and better opportunity when it's there because there is no guarantee it will be there the next day.

Now we can argue whether coaching the Buffalo Bills is a better opportunity than coaching the Syracuse Orange but at the end of the day it's a matter of personal choice.

peter king's entire job depends on coaches liking him

there is no way he's going to be critical of new coach who he needs on his side

and king makes a glaring error about when the first pinstripe bowl was

BS. Regardless of the raise he did or did not get...it was a huge risk from a long-term career standpoint to come to Syracuse from an OC position with the Saints where certain people in the league claim he was already being considered NFL HC material.

BS. Regardless of the raise he did or did not get...it was a huge risk from a long-term career standpoint to come to Syracuse from an OC position with the Saints where certain people in the league claim he was already being considered HC material.

i think it's pretty stupid to talk about risk while dismissing reward.

even if i were to believe those claims, i don't think that taking on risk in exchange for a big raise is any proof of loyalty

even if i were to believe those claims, i don't think that taking on risk in exchange for a big raise is any proof of loyalty
Let's not leave out ego as well... How many of us would pass up the chance to be the HC at our alma mater?

How many college football HC positions did he apply to?

Has nothing to do with his leaving but with the spin he put on things and getting everyone to buy into it when he came to his dream job. Made him seem special. Turns out he is just another coach - nothing more nothing less. Time to move on.

There is room for sentimentality in any business. It gets a bad name - but all businesses revolve around relationships. The NFL is no different. CFB is no different.

Doesn't mean you don't make hard choices sometimes - like Marrone not taking Ryan. But most of the time relationships are the reason for success. See: last season and Ryan's relationship with the coaches.

How many college football HC positions did he apply to?

dear sir or madam,

i'm very excited about the football coach I position posted on careerbuilder. thanks for your consideration

Has nothing to do with his leaving but with the spin he put on things and getting everyone to buy into it when he came to his dream job. Made him seem special. Turns out he is just another coach - nothing more nothing less. Time to move on.

It wasn't spin.

Things that happened that made the job just a job.

dear sir or madam,

i'm very excited about the football coach I position posted on careerbuilder. thanks for your consideration
I always preferred the "To whom it may concern" as a starter...:)

So it makes sense for him to leave his secure NFL job for a difficult rebuilding college job because of the money, but it doesn't make sense for him to do the same when leaving for the NFL?

It wasn't spin.

Things that happened that made the job just a job.[/

quote]
Not sure what to make of that. Are you saying he believed his own BS or he was just naive? or both?

I guess the point was he could have stayed in the NFL and waited for that HC job. But he didn't. And I'm glad he didn't.

So it makes sense for him to leave his secure NFL job for a difficult rebuilding college job because of the money, but it doesn't make sense for him to do the same when leaving for the NFL?
did i say that? no

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Poor Fing Doug. Give me a break. I dont think anybody has any problem with Doug leaving for the NFL. In fact i think that everyone is thrilled for him. The problem remains how he left not that he did.

I honestly think that I've forgotten what was so bad about how he left and replaced it with excitement about the ACC and our new HC/assistants.

Talk about a false choice and premise. Why the assumption that it was BS?

He is trying to sell the same bs to Buffalo fans.
If he has the same success by getting them to a winning record, they'll probably be happy with it.

The way Doug left was crappy but pales in comparison to guys like Rodriguez, Kiffen, etc.
I never like the Bills, and still don't. DM doesn't change that
I love Cuse and still do. DM doesn't change that either.

Here are the things that happened under DM:

SU was in ESPN's bottom 10, now they are 2-0 in bowl games since Doug got here
SU hadn't had a QB drafted since McNabb until Nassib this year
SU hadn't had back to back years with a 1st round draft pick since 2002(Chandler last year, Justin this year
SU dominated WV under DM
2012 Co-BE Champs

Regarding Nassib's so called slide down the draft boards:
Doug Hogue and Delone Carter were selected in the 4th and 5th rounds
Art Jones was selected in the 5th round
Mike Williams was selected in the 4th round
Adam Terry and Anthony Smith were the only 2 players selected higher than the 4th round from Freeney in 2001 until last year when Chandler went in the 1st.

You may or may not like exactly how Doug handled his departure, or how he handled the draft, or undrafted free agents but DM owes us nothing. He resurrected this program to almost McNabb era levels. Doug...Thank you for saving this program, I'd wish you good luck but I still hope Schwartz kicks your ass!