Just finished watching Syracuse dismantle #1 Nebraska | Syracusefan.com

Just finished watching Syracuse dismantle #1 Nebraska

CuyahogaCuse

2nd String
Some thoughts:
  • This was the first Syracuse game I ever watched. Stumbled across it as a high school freshman and originally watched on my 12” black and white TV that I had bought with my own money made from paper routes and other odd jobs, etc.
  • Had no idea at the time that I would end up at Syracuse, but remember the stories of that day (and night) from the seniors in The Pride of the Orange, who recalled that day to us when we arrived as freshman to band camp in 1987
  • The 1959 Championship team was celebrated that day. It had been 25 years. Hard to believe we are 36 years to the other side now.
  • Tim Greene. Legend. My son met him when he came to our elementary school to promote his children’s book. But I’d never really seen him play. What a day he had.
  • It wasn’t a national ABC game. But we had Curt Gowdy and Len Dawson on the call. Does it get any bigger in 1984 than Curt Gowdy? Maybe if Keith Jackson shows up. But still. Huge game. A Team announcers.
  • Dome Ranger cameos, in his prime. And Otto, well, he’s come a long way.
  • Norley to Siano! There should be some type of mural or statue, forever memorializing that catch.
  • Doug Dubose. I completely forgot about him. But he came from Montville High School of the Eastern Connecticut Conference. Montville. A longtime ECC rival of my alma mater, Killingly. Dubose was a later Heisman candidate and Super Bowl winner with the 49ers. But we bottled him up that day. Sadly, the kid ended up a drug addict and seemed to have lost everything by 2005, based in the last published info I could find on him, from The Hartford Current.
  • Tom Osborne had never lost a game by more than 7 points. Until that day.
  • Multiple shout outs to “Doug Marrone and the right side of the Cuse offensive line” during the 4th quarter.
  • Ted Gregory has himself a heck of a game. He dominated as a senior during my 1987 freshman year. Until Colgate. I couldn’t help but think that he was but one difference that Nebraska saw from the 1983 team they destroyed in Lincoln. Glad I got to see him in person
  • Caught a couple glimpses of Donnie Mac on the sidelines. This game taught those young guys how to win. 1987 was no joke. It was built on the foundation laid against Nebraska
  • Dome roof #1. Still relatively new and bright. Quite nostalgic to obverse it, given what we know is going on now
  • Early on the game, they mentioned Nebraska’s O-Line was huge, averaging 262 pounds. In one of the many covid-19 threads, I made note that we are starting down the D3 recruiting path with my high school junior. He’s 6-2, 260. Will be a 3-year starter if they play this fall. He’d fit right in, if it were 1984. He’d walk to Syracuse if he could play for Dino. But my 5-8 genetics is probably working against his D1 options, even though he’s more than held his own out here in Ohio, even against D1 level opposition (Cincy, OSU, WVU recruits)
  • Bottom line. Loved watching this game again. Love the Dome and love Syracuse. So hoping we somehow get to enjoy football again in the fall.

If I’m not mistaken, that was when you could still smoke in the seats at the Dome. When you walked up the ramps to your seats you could see a blue/gray cloud hanging over the field. They moved smoking out to the concourse soon after, and then outside.

I watched that entire game holding my 2-year old nephew, who incredibly enough, slept throughout almost the whole game. We would stand up, sit down, stand up again, from beginning to end, and he slept. He might have been jarred awake by the crowd on the catch by Siano. I don’t know. I was too busy yelling and jumping up and down.

If I’m not mistaken, that was when you could still smoke in the seats at the Dome. When you walked up the ramps to your seats you could see a blue/gray cloud hanging over the field. They moved smoking out to the concourse soon after, and then outside.

I watched that entire game holding my 2-year old nephew, who incredibly enough, slept throughout almost the whole game. We would stand up, sit down, stand up again, from beginning to end, and he slept. He might have been jarred awake by the crowd on the catch by Siano. I don’t know. I was too busy yelling and jumping up and down.
blue gray fog at the syracuse nats games at the war memorial.

Some thoughts:
  • This was the first Syracuse game I ever watched. Stumbled across it as a high school freshman and originally watched on my 12” black and white TV that I had bought with my own money made from paper routes and other odd jobs, etc.
  • Had no idea at the time that I would end up at Syracuse, but remember the stories of that day (and night) from the seniors in The Pride of the Orange, who recalled that day to us when we arrived as freshman to band camp in 1987
  • The 1959 Championship team was celebrated that day. It had been 25 years. Hard to believe we are 36 years to the other side now.
  • Tim Greene. Legend. My son met him when he came to our elementary school to promote his children’s book. But I’d never really seen him play. What a day he had.
  • It wasn’t a national ABC game. But we had Curt Gowdy and Len Dawson on the call. Does it get any bigger in 1984 than Curt Gowdy? Maybe if Keith Jackson shows up. But still. Huge game. A Team announcers.
  • Norley to Siano! There should be some type of mural or statue, forever memorializing that catch.
  • Doug Dubose. I completely forgot about him. But he came from Montville High School of the Eastern Connecticut Conference. Montville. A longtime ECC rival of my alma mater, Killingly. Dubose was a later Heisman candidate and Super Bowl winner with the 49ers. But we bottled him up that day. Sadly, the kid ended up a drug addict and seemed to have lost everything by 2005, based in the last published info I could find on him, from The Hartford Current.
  • Multiple shout outs to “Doug Marrone and the right side of the Cuse offensive line” during the 4th quarter.
  • Ted Gregory has himself a heck of a game. He dominated as a senior during my 1987 freshman year. Until Colgate. I couldn’t help but think that he was but one difference that Nebraska saw from the 1983 team they destroyed in Lincoln. Glad I got to see him in person
  • Caught a couple glimpses of Donnie Mac on the sidelines. This game taught those young guys how to win. 1987 was no joke. It was built on the foundation laid against Nebraska
  • Dome roof #1. Still relatively new and bright. Quite nostalgic to obverse it, given what we know is going on now
  • Early on the game, they mentioned Nebraska’s O-Line was huge, averaging 262 pounds. In one of the many covid-19 threads, I made note that we are starting down the D3 recruiting path with my high school junior. He’s 6-2, 260. Will be a 3-year starter if they play this fall. He’d fit right in, if it were 1984. He’d walk to Syracuse if he could play for Dino. But my 5-8 genetics is probably working against his D1 options, even though he’s more than held his own out here in Ohio, even against D1 level opposition (Cincy, OSU, WVU recruits)
  • Bottom line. Loved watching this game again. Love the Dome and love Syracuse. So hoping we somehow get to enjoy football again in the fall.

Some things just never get old.

We were listening to the game on the radio as my dad drove the family to visit my grandmother. My dad was going crazy happy. I probably was, too.

The USA today poll after the game we entered the poll at #22. It only lasted one week as the team traveled to Gainesville and lost to UF.

First time in a poll since the preseason poll in 1971.

The USA today poll after the game we entered the poll at #22. It only lasted one week as the team traveled to Gainesville and lost to UF.

Mark, I am pretty sure it was still a Top 20 poll at that time, and remember entering the poll for the first time in decades shortly before Penn State in 1987.

So I looked back at Sports-reference.com in their 1984 polls page, and confirmed that it’s only a Top 20, so I assume at 22, we were in the Also Receiving Votes category.

As an aside, 1984 was a real big boy schedule:
  • At Maryland, at Northwestern, at Florida, at West Virginia, at Penn State, at Boston College
  • Home games with Rutgers, Nebraska, Army, Pitt and Navy
Coming home 6-5 wasn’t too shabby. How would our current team do against that schedule?

The USA Today poll was always 25. We didn't crack the AP/UPI in 1984

I watched the Nebraska game from Gainesville FL. Living there at the time. And I went to the Gators/CUSE game . It was crazy hot that day

My first ever game in dome! A bunch of folks came from utica/Rome area to watch a relative who played for SU at the time

Some thoughts:
I was at the game. Today was the first time I ever watched a replay. First, a little history. The previous season SU went out to Nebraska and got crushed by something like 67-7. We’d have them with a 4th down and 5 and they’d go for it and make it. After the game everybody was praising Nebraska.

The week before the 1984 game Nebraska went out to play #3 UCLA and beat them 41 to 3. It was going to be areal beat down. I got my tickets from friend whose boss didn’t want to witness the blood letting.

When Nebraska came to town it was like a love fest. On the morning of the game Osborn was so confident, he went to a prayer breakfast at some church instead of being with his team

Now go to UTube and watch the game to see what happened

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom