Just one more shot!!!? | Syracusefan.com

Just one more shot!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

20plus

2nd String
When Jim said we need Buddy to make one more shot I literally realize that what issues we have with Jim and Buddy arebigger than at the surface.
You could plug and play any guard in Buddy’s spots in his many minutes and the other guard will do more things including
  • better defense
  • better ballhandling
  • better playmaking
  • rebounding
  • blocking shots
  • 50-50 balls
  • Starting a break
  • Finishing a break

• We’re not looking for Buddy to shoot low to mid 30s Jim! He needs to be up over 37 and it would be nice if he shot like Matt Roe in the 40s

When Jim said we need Buddy to make one more shot I literally realize that what issues we have with Jim and Buddy arebigger than at the surface.
You could plug and play any guard in Buddy’s spots in his many minutes and the other guard will do more things including
  • better defense
  • better ballhandling
  • better playmaking
  • rebounding
  • blocking shots
  • 50-50 balls
  • Starting a break
  • Finishing a break

• We’re not looking for Buddy to shoot low to mid 30s Jim! He needs to be up over 37 and it would be nice if he shot like Matt Roe in the 40s
I’m really surprised he’s not better with the ball. It’s what made Andy so good.

JB is approaching the Little League and Pee Wee football Dad/Coach level. You know the Dad who's kid pitches and hits clean up when he is a left field gap hitter. Or the QB/MLB who should be a Split End and safety.

He has to know what is going on right? Is everyone surrounding the program that much of an enabler?

JB is approaching the Little League and Pee Wee football Dad/Coach level. You know the Dad who's kid pitches and hits clean up when he is a left field gap hitter. Or the QB/MLB who should be a Split End and safety.

He has to know what is going on right? Is everyone surrounding the program that much of an enabler?
This is a great post and perspective. I love the word enabler here and that’s really what this town is so bad.

This is a great post and perspective. I love the word enabler here and that’s really what this town is so bad.
The staff and local media are enablers but the fan base just doesn’t care anymore. We know there’s nothing we can do. It’s not like we can stop going to the games and hit them in the wallet.

• better defense
  • better ballhandling
  • better playmaking
  • rebounding
  • blocking shots
  • 50-50 balls
  • Starting a break
  • Finishing a break

Funny you bring up Matt Roe.

Matt Roe, while at Cuse, never shot over 8 FGA/game, but he shot 47% (!!!!!) from three his junior year before transferring.

Went to Maryland, jacked up almost 15 FGA/game, and his 3PT % dropped to 31%.

Buddy has the green light to get to 8 FGA in a single game before the second TV timeout. Maybe, just maybe, he should be re-purposed in our offense. Maybe he should be junior year Matt Roe, not Maryland Matt Roe.

• better defense
  • better ballhandling
  • better playmaking
  • rebounding
  • blocking shots
  • 50-50 balls
  • Starting a break
  • Finishing a break

The "one shot analysis" is pretty much message board coaching. I do this all the time, I take my favorite player, make their stats better, and then proceed with my argument. It does help.

How does anyone expect to practice their way in front of Buddy when:

Late last year: JB said as a team we were struggling to shoot, except for Buddy who'd been over 40% the last ___ games.

I don't recall the exact number of games. I looked, I laughed, I posted lots of LOLs, because he was at 33% or something during that stretch. Pretty much the same as the guys that weren't hitting shots from three.

His misses are like passes!

If he just made one more shot each game, he'd be shooting pretty well, and that would certainly come closer to justifying his usage.

How you get a guy like that less minutes? His misses can be like makes, and he makes more than he makes.

JB needs to put him in a better position - he's not a volume shooter and doesn't create all that well. Trying to use him as such is not paying great dividends.

Last edited:

It is scary and its embarrassing now. After games like this, I feel like he is running the program into the ground worse than Pasqualoni did.

I wonder if the assistants ever say, Jim, we need to get bigger, move AG to 2, play Jesse some at 5 or Jim, we need to recruit another scoring guard, we have only recruited 1 for 3 recruiting cycles now and he transferred out.

Jim: Buddy just needs to hit 1 or 2 more shots a game and were good.

Maybe when JB said one more shot he was thinking there was a 20 point shot like those old MTV basketball games used to have (I'm assuming they don't do them anymore, maybe they do).
This made me laugh

It is scary and its embarrassing now. After games like this, I feel like he is running the program into the ground worse than Pasqualoni did.

I wonder if the assistants ever say, Jim, we need to get bigger, move AG to 2, play Jesse some at 5 or Jim, we need to recruit another scoring guard, we have only recruited 1 for 3 recruiting cycles now and he transferred out.

Jim: Buddy just needs to hit 1 or 2 more shots a game and were good.

From what I’ve heard from good sources, Boeheim really isn’t listening to assistants.

BTW, after last night's game, Buddy is now (out of the six guys that play):

35.7 mpg (first on the team)
15.0 FGA/game (first on the team)
14.5 PPG (third on the team)
38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
TS% 46% (last - remember, this includes FT shooting)
eFG 44% (last)

His BPM is lowest out of the six guys by a country mile. JGIII is second to last at 2.6. Buddy is at 0.4.

His WS (win share) is lowest. His WS/40 is lowest.

JGIII absolutely has a case that he should be playing over Buddy.

So JB's 'one shot' comment is hilariously out of touch with reality.

The lack of defense that Buddy puts effort into is so glaring. I did noticed the last few games that when Kadary is in that he does seem to pick up his his own defensive play. It is really amazing and I do think it is because of how much effort Kadary puts into it. At this point it is so apparent that JB cannot see what is really happening on the floor and visions his son as the next Carmelo. This is destroying any team chemistry and any reference to "team" basketball. I think the majority of us on this board see it and was on full display for all last night. I am really having an issue with JBs ripping into players on the sideline and no longer "teaches" during the game. To me he has become the new Bobby Knight and it is highly inefficient for todays youth. JB has been unable to adjust to the games evolution and the players skills. The 2-3 is no longer a novelty or an advantage. College players are just to good at shooting from the outside in today's game. Before the 3 point line it was a good defense, after the 3 point line was introduced it was still good because the line was closer which meant that the shooter would be closer for the center/forward to get out to the wing quicker.

Unfortunately, I will have to except that SU is now in the same company as Indiana and UCLA (a has been program living on past achievements). There will be no change until JB retires and Buddy is playing in China, Russia or some foreign land.

For those that say "then don't watch" are just as bad as JB. Those want to live in the past hoping that some kind of miracle will happen because JB is a hall of famer. I have just as much pride and love for SU sport as anyone but I am not going to kid myself into thinking that JB is still in his prime. The program can no longer recruit the right kind of players in the middle for the zone that JB will only play/teach. It seems very clear that no skilled big man wants to play in that system. Especially when JB, himself has stated many times that freshman/sophomore big men are not ready to play consistently.

Losing games is not what gets me down so much, it is the way JB coaches the game in progress. When SU is blowing out an opponent he refuses to get some much need game time minutes for younger players. When they are getting blown out he refuses to make any changes other then the press. No new players to the lineup for chemistry change, no defensive switches, and only making sure that Buddy gets his 35+ minutes even when he is 3 for 18 from the floor.

Sorry for the rant, but I do feel better getting it out.

It’s what I’ve heard from at least one person who would know. The thing is the assistants do see what is going on and do have thoughts and suggestions. They have to play good cop, which is something Hop did so well for so long.
I'm sorry, I thought your first post was suggesting Buddy Boeheim was not listening to the assistants. I'm guessing now that the HOFHC is not listening to his assistants.

I'm sorry, I thought your first post was suggesting Buddy Boeheim was not listening to the assistants. I'm guessing now that the HOFHC is not listening to his assistants.

Ha yeah, Buddy listens. Sorry for confusion.

If BB is the coach's kid, JG is the coach's neighbor's kid. KR is the talented outsider that JB is making sure he doesn't look too good come all-star selection time. You can't make this stuff up...it's like the local youth rec league!
I think the JG3 stuff is not accurate anymore. I think he has made strides and frankly I like that he looked to be giving it back to JB last night. Kadary needs minutes but I don't think its a given that it should always be at JG3's expense.

38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
eFG 44% (last)

His BPM is lowest out of the six guys by a country mile. JGIII is second to last at 2.6. Buddy is at 0.4.

Thing is, we've all seen Buddy have great games. When he is on, he is capable of carrying the O for stretches. I don't think he's the biggest problem with this team (that's the appalling lack of center recruiting), but the job of a coach is to put his players in the best position to succeed, and JB is not doing that.

It's so weird, because it seems like JB sees Buddy as a senior year Cooney or Rautins, but he is demonstrably not that player. He's a catch-and-shoot SG, who can attack the rim against certain teams. His passing and defense are mediocre on his best days. Why he's taking more shots than anyone on the team is totally beyond me.

38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
eFG 44% (last)

Jimmy don't do advanced stats

38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
eFG 44% (last)

Based on both the numbers and what we've seen when they've played together there's absolutely argument that our starting backcourt should be Kadary and JG3.

Shooting is the only thing that Buddy does better on a basketball court than Joe and even when he's shooting well he's not that much of a better shooter than Joe. JG3 does just about everything else at a considerably higher level.

Based on both the numbers and what we've seen when they've played together there's absolutely argument that our starting backcourt should be Kadary and JG3.

Shooting is the only thing that Buddy does better on a basketball court than Joe and even when he's shooting well he's not that much of a better shooter than Joe. JG3 does just about everything else at a considerably higher level.

To me, JGIII has an awareness about his abilities and has been trending the right way since the beginning of the year.

Buddy does not. Again, maybe JB is pushing him to this spot, maybe it's Buddy thinking he's Kobe, maybe it's both. I don't know. But he's just way, way, way too inefficient for him to be shooting this much.

JG3 is a 2 (and better there then Buddy at the 2) and that is where he should be playing with Kadary at the point.

38% FG
27% 3PT
USG 23.6% (2nd to AG)
eFG 44% (last)

Saying this stuff doesn’t make a person a hater.

The numbers show the points.
Go read the My Take from Tomcat after the Miami game. Saying this stuff gets you accused of being a hater.

When we all just want the team to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom