Just remembered why I can't stand watching Duke games | Syracusefan.com

Just remembered why I can't stand watching Duke games

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Just to preface what I'm going to say I want to reiterate something I said before. This Syracuse basketball team rarely makes a face when the officials make a call. No embarrassing tantrums or negative body language. I have to believe the officials take notice.

Yesterday I tuned into the Duke-Florida State game, an historic one for coach K as he was going after his 900th win at the school. As per usual there were those calls that favored the Blue Devils where replays showed no offense against the Seminoles. That has just been a way of life in the ACC for decades. Just as Dean Smith before him, K gets the benefit of most of the 50-50 calls. As a neophyte Krzyzewski protested against the silver spoon treatment the Tar Heels coach received. After several years K was able to get his way.

Just about seven minutes was enough to reinforce the old feelings. The whistle blows, the call is against Duke, the camera goes to K, he makes one of his terrible faces. The camera then goes to the offending Duke player who is having holy conniption that the ref dare accuse him of foul play. The student section then comes into focus where a hundred privileged kids are screaming about this egregious happening on the court.

You wash rinse and repeat that scene numerous times throughout the game and it's enough to make you ill.

Yes Saturday seven minutes was all I could take, afterall I have been watching this act since 1980 when K took over.

Conversely, you watch 19 games involving this edition of Syracuse University and you can hardly think of one such incident.

Last edited:
Just to preface what I'm going to say I want to reiterate something I said before. This Syracuse basketball team rarely makes a face when the officials make a call. No embarrassing tantrums or negative body language. I have to believe the officials take notice.

Yesterday I tuned into the Duke-Florida State game, an historic one for coach K as he was going after his 900th win at the school. As per usual there were those calls that favored the Blue Devils where replays showed no offense against the Seminoles. That has just been a way of life in the ACC for decades. Just as Dean Smith before him, K gets the benefit of most of the 50-50 calls. As a neophyte Krzyzewski protested against the silver spoon treatment the Tar Heels coach received. After several years K was able to get his way.

Just about seven minutes was enough to reinforce the old feelings. The whistle blows, the call is against Duke, the camera goes to K, he makes one of his terrible faces. The camera then goes to the offending Duke player who is having holy conniption that the ref dare accuse him of foul play. The student section then comes into focus where a hundred privileged kids are screaming about this egregious happening on the court.

You wash rinse and repeat that scene numerous times throughout the game and it's enough to make you ill.

Yes Saturday seven minutes was all I could take, afterall I have been watching this act since 1980 when K took over.

Conversely, you watch 19 games involving this edition of Syracuse University and you can hardly think of one such incident.
That's why this Duke - Pitt match-up will be fascinating. Will the Dukie royalty treatment prevail, or will the refs look the other way as Pitt & Jamie Dixon regularly bend the rules? Something's gotta give.

There will be no Dukie royal treatment at Pitt as evidenced by our last several trips to the PEC...

There will be no Dukie royal treatment at Pitt as evidenced by our last several trips to the PEC...

That's us going to the Pete. Not Duke. Pitt may set an all time foul record. The whole team may foul out.

It is pretty sad when you watch the whole thing go down. Its basically every call against them and now with Dixon always on the court woofing at the refs the game Monday will be hard to watch but at least we will likely be able to see one very upset coach who is used to getting his way not get it. Which one that is I'm not sure but I suspect Duke crumbles at the Pete although I prefer they win.

That's why this Duke - Pitt match-up will be fascinating. Will the Dukie royalty treatment prevail, or will the refs look the other way as Pitt & Jamie Dixon regularly bend the rules? Something's gotta give.

Makes me hear Bodies by Drowning Pool in my head.

Last edited:
Exhibit A: Think it speaks about how much character our players have.

BZ9CR92CIAAhM0D-594x418.jpg

We all know the face. It's a famous face.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/virginia-student-section-coach-k-face-cutout/177246

And I'm old enough to remember Dean Smith's whining all the time. Those two have mastered the art of working the refs. Rick Barnes when he coached at Clemson got into brawls with Dean Smith and the refs. It almost came to blows at one of the ACC Tournaments one time. Here's a segment with Rick Barnes talking about it. Tonight at 6:00 Clemson takes another shot against UNC in Chapel Hill where UNC leads the series 56-0. Clemson has never won a basketball game in that town. I hope they get over the hump tonight.

We do have some characters in this league and have over the years. We've had lots of other strong personalities too like Jim Valvano, Bobby Cremins, Lefty Dreisel, and Gary Williams. It's still a fun league to follow though.