Just some thoughts from this past three games... | Syracusefan.com

Just some thoughts from this past three games...

Jake

Mod
obviously the team has stepped it up the past three games in terms of offensive execution. You could visibly see the confidence growning in Ennis and Grant as the games played on. They had the most room for improvement since he early games and they've each stepped up.

I'm tempering my enhusiasm because i'm not convinced any of the teams we played are tremendous on the defensive end of the court. Especially Baylor. Teams will zone us, and track Cooney better and we will have to rely on ball movement and hitting the glass.

Defensively we need to get better both on the perimeter and on the interior. i love all that Baye has given us for four years, great kid and great motor, but both Rak and Coleman have reached a point where they have to play over Keita. This team can't play long stretches of 4-5 on the offensive end.

Cooney has been better than anyone envisioned. I can live with a couple of deep threes if he keeps shooting 40%+ from 3. His ability to add interior scoring is such a bonus. He's playing efficiently on the offensive end like Rautins...and gets enough deflecions not to be a weakness on the defesnive end.

After Tuesday, i think you'll see Paterson and Roberson woven into the rotation again. JB likes winning these tournaments and wasn't going to go deep this week.

Not much can be said about Grant that hasn't been covered - his athleticism is off the charts. His one dribble spin move reminds me of Hak, but he's SOOO much further along than Hak as a soph. hope he doesn't fall in love with his j, cause he does too much damage with the bounce.

Ennis might control the tempo of a game better than anyone since Sherm. Not saying he's the best pg since him, just that he really controls the offensive end like a veteran. Its sooo comforting as a fan to watch.

There are a ton of very hard games on this year's schedule...lets not annoint this team yet.

Bingo re: Grant's spin move. Hard to see him do that and not think big things are ahead for him.

Still very puzzled by Coleman. Not writing him off, but I'm seeing nothing from him that makes me think he will add significant value as the year progresses.

Last edited:
I've been pretty impressed with TE's ball handling. He is so silky smooth with the ball and has a fantastic stutter step. He is mixing in different speeds really well and just seems to flow with the game. Gonna be great watching him grow.

He
Bingo re: Grant's spin move. Hard not to see him do that and think big things are ahead for him.

Still very puzzled by Coleman. Not writing him off, but I'm seeing nothing from him that makes me think he will add significant value as the year progresses.
couldn't handle 2 games in 2 nights let alone 3 in 3

obviously the team has stepped it up the past three games in terms of offensive execution. You could visibly see the confidence growning in Ennis and Grant as the games played on. They had the most room for improvement since he early games and they've each stepped up.

I'm tempering my enhusiasm because i'm not convinced any of the teams we played are tremendous on the defensive end of the court. Especially Baylor. Teams will zone us, and track Cooney better and we will have to rely on ball movement and hitting the glass.

Defensively we need to get better both on the perimeter and on the interior. i love all that Baye has given us for four years, great kid and great motor, but both Rak and Coleman have reached a point where they have to play over Keita. This team can't play long stretches of 4-5 on the offensive end.

Cooney has been better than anyone envisioned. I can live with a couple of deep threes if he keeps shooting 40%+ from 3. His ability to add interior scoring is such a bonus. He's playing efficiently on the offensive end like Rautins...and gets enough deflecions not to be a weakness on the defesnive end.

After Tuesday, i think you'll see Paterson and Roberson woven into the rotation again. JB likes winning these tournaments and wasn't going to go deep this week.

Not much can be said about Grant that hasn't been covered - his athleticism is off the charts. His one dribble spin move reminds me of Hak, but he's SOOO much further along than Hak as a soph. hope he doesn't fall in love with his j, cause he does too much damage with the bounce.

Ennis might control the tempo of a game better than anyone since Sherm. Not saying he's the best pg since him, just that he really controls the offensive end like a veteran. Its sooo comforting as a fan to watch.

There are a ton of very hard games on this year's schedule...lets not annoint this team yet.

Jake: I'm curious why you think Patterson might see some time at the 2 instead of BJ? Do you think it's because BJ is projecting to be a 3 in the long term?

Jake: I'm curious why you think Patterson might see some time at the 2 instead of BJ? Do you think it's because BJ is projecting to be a 3 in the long term?

obviously i'm not Jake, but that's exactly what i am thinking.

I just think he's more game ready right now. i think BJ ends up being the better player though.

Jake
Do you see any reasoning that any could transfer this year? Coleman or Roberson?
For some reason, i have an odd feeling that someone will.

Also, what are your thoughts on MG? do you think he puts it together some time this year?

Having a feeling is one thing a rumor is another. Having a feeling is nothing more then our subconscious worries about things that really aren't there.

I had the same feeling about Mccullough when he verballed, and I have the same feeling about Dajuan ever actually playing center in the 2-3. I had the same feeling about Fab Melo playing in the 2-3. I had the same feeling about cooney every being a good shooter and knocking 2 shots down a game as a senior. I have a feeling bj and roberson looked alittle frustrated on the bench waiting, but so did mcw, and some others.

I had a feeling syraucse was cursed and couldn't make a final four run without it being some blessing from heaven instead of on their own strength, now I have a feeling that curse is fading away.I had a feeling we were a hated team for awhile despite our athleticism and fun system becuase of the media. I have a feeling that is fading away as well.

I have a feeling jb won't be scheduling a hard game schedule like this ever again. Either Cuse needs to start beating teams out by 20 plus with his zone or he won't for recruits. BJ, Ron, and Roberson just have to be patient becuase we aren't right now, if the defense was there we would be able to insert 1-2 of them in here and there but its not as it is. It sucks that happened this year instead of last where someone like Grant could get in some because of the defense, but thats the way it is.

Last edited:
I think we have to wait until at least the beginning or middle of conference play to get a good handle on Gbinije. I mean he didn't see time at Duke, then he sat out last year.

Give him some time. He's shown flashes of great athleticism, he has a good handle, he plays good d and he looks comfortable at the point.

Scoring etc. will come.

The play that stands out for me is Ennis receiving the ball in the left corner, dribbling slowly around the horn, over to the right elbow extended and just absolutely blowing by his defender for a layup. So deceptive with that first step, and he's got a bounce when he's scoping out his point of attack that really enables him to get by his defender effortlessly.

Having a feeling is one thing a rumor is another. Having a feeling is nothing more then our subconscious worries about things that really aren't there.

I had the same feeling about Mccullough when he verballed, and I have the same feeling about Dajuan ever actually playing center in the 2-3. I had the same feeling about Fab Melo playing in the 2-3. I had the same feeling about cooney every being a good shooter and knocking 2 shots down a game as a senior. I have a feeling bj and roberson looked alittle frustrated on the bench waiting, but so did mcw, and some others.

I had a feeling syraucse was cursed and couldn't make a final four run without it being some blessing from heaven instead of on their own strength, now I have a feeling that curse is fading away.I had a feeling we were a hated team for awhile despite our athleticism and fun system becuase of the media. I have a feeling that is fading away as well.

I have a feeling jb won't be scheduling a hard game schedule like this ever again. Either Cuse needs to start beating teams out by 20 plus with his zone or he won't for recruits. BJ, Ron, and Roberson just have to be patient becuase we aren't right now, if the defense was there we would be able to insert 1-2 of them in here and there but its not as it is. It sucks that happened this year instead of last where someone like Grant could get in some because of the defense, but thats the way it is.

You know..u don't have to be a jackass when you respond to my question

Hey Jake, welcome back!!! Speaking about defensive pressure/intensity do you think any of it has to do with the new rules and coaches afraid that their players are going to foul out. We've seen some key guys get into foul trouble and this has helped us. Or do you think these teams are just poor defensively. CJ and JG could make a lot of players look bad.

Last years team was so good on defense and Baye was a big part of that. We played a lot of low scoring games last year so Baye's lack of production on the offensive end didn't hurt us.

This year, it's starting to look like we are going to have to outscore people. That means the lineup of CJ at 3, Grant at 4 and Rak/Coleman at 5 gives us the best chance to do that

He is a lot better than i was expecting, for sure.

He also needs to learn to stop trying to slap the backboard on every block. He really needs to go to the Etan Thomas school of blocking... Not that he has to be the best shot blocker in school history, he just needs to learn that there is an ENORMOUS difference b/w a block that leads to Syracuse ball vs the 1 out of 10 sportscenter highlight reel blocks that leads to goaltends, fouls, or (best case scenario) block out of bounds and still their ball.

Ennis seems to have his own speed... Its not lightning fast, but its not slow either. The best part is that no one has been able to change that speed either. He has been constant and in control.

To compare it to football, Ennis reminds me of a WR who doesn't necessarily run a great 40 time but somehow always manages to get open, or a RB who never appears to be running hard but just glides and somehow starts running away from people while never shifting gears.

To compare it to football, Ennis reminds me of a WR who doesn't necessarily run a great 40 time but somehow always manages to get open, or a RB who never appears to be running hard but just glides and somehow starts running away from people while never shifting gears.
Kinda like Alec lemon and Walter Reyes

Bingo re: Grant's spin move. Hard to see him do that and not think big things are ahead for him.

He had a good game vs. Minnesota. Let's not forget. He can help us this year.

I'm just gonna sum the whole Ennis thing up.

If I had any doubt in Syracuse recruiting prior to this year, it's gone.

I'm just gonna sum the whole Ennis thing up.

If I had any doubt in Syracuse recruiting prior to this year, it's gone.

huh? our recruiting has basically been top notch the last 12 years.

huh? our recruiting has basically been top notch the last 12 years.
It'd crazy to say we haven't had some serious misfires. Then again, so has every program. Also for your information, the doubt I had was minuscule :D

The play that stands out for me is Ennis receiving the ball in the left corner, dribbling slowly around the horn, over to the right elbow extended and just absolutely blowing by his defender for a layup. So deceptive with that first step, and he's got a bounce when he's scoping out his point of attack that really enables him to get by his defender effortlessly.

All of that is very impressive; great vision and a very even pace in moving into his spots. His ability to finish after getting to the rim will continue to be a concern. We've got another month to iron that out, though leaps and bounds in that area might not occur as a freshman.

He is a lot better than i was expecting, for sure.

He also needs to learn to stop trying to slap the backboard on every block. He really needs to go to the Etan Thomas school of blocking... Not that he has to be the best shot blocker in school history, he just needs to learn that there is an ENORMOUS difference b/w a block that leads to Syracuse ball vs the 1 out of 10 sportscenter highlight reel blocks that leads to goaltends, fouls, or (best case scenario) block out of bounds and still their ball.

Ennis seems to have his own speed... Its not lightning fast, but its not slow either. The best part is that no one has been able to change that speed either. He has been constant and in control.

Ennis is the Greg Maddux of basketball. Others look better on the jugs gun but as long as the other guy doesn't know when he's going to make his move, (which pitch is coming), he's in control.

Kinda like Alec lemon and Walter Reyes
And he actually kinda looks like Alec so yes, let's go with that one. He doesn't seem that fast or quick but he always manages to beat his defender and make a play.

jekelish said:
And he actually kinda looks like Alec so yes, let's go with that one. He doesn't seem that fast or quick but he always manages to beat his defender and make a play.

Yep, I've made that comparison before. Especially from a distance Ennis and Lemon look alike kind of. And they do share the performance traits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom