Just some thoughts.. | Syracusefan.com

Just some thoughts..

Jake

Mod
DVR’d the game and just finished up.

Va Tech is a good matchup for us. No dominant big man and smallish guards. It was clear our game plan was to punish their small back court and attack with the bounce. We will beat this team 7 of 10.

We will have success against teams that can’t punish our smallish front court.

Marek drew what seemed like 10 fouls today. We had a somewhat friendly whistle in the first half especially.

Dear Buddy. No more 12 dribble back down iso fadeaway 12 footers please. It’s a horrible pct play. I know it was probably part of the game plan to post up their little guts, but it’s not what he can do.

Quincy is the most improved player in the league right? He’s climbing the pantheon of post players quickly. His footwork might be top five already. Wallace, Otis Hill, Hak are my top 3 here...Q might be 4...I’m sure I’m leaving a couple out.

Watch the difference in off the ball movement when Kadary is running the point. Players cut because they know they’ll get the ball EXACTLY where they can do the most with it. That kind of feel is rare.

Nice energy by Griffin early. Set the tone. He’s a good player, needs seasoning though.

Not having Sidibe really limits our upside. At some point we’re gonna run into a team with a post presence who will murder us.

I’d love to see 4-8 minutes per game with Kadary Griffin up top, with Q, Marek and Jesse. ...and press. Use up Jesse’s fouls trying to protect the rim.

Va Tech is a good matchup for us. No dominant big man and smallish guards. It was clear our game plan was to punish their small back court and attack with the bounce. We will beat this team 7 of 10.

Marek drew what seemed like 10 fouls today. We had a somewhat friendly whistle in the first half especially.

Dear Buddy. No more 12 dribble back down iso fadeaway 12 footers please. It’s a horrible pct play. I know it was probably part of the game plan to post up their little guts, but it’s not what he can do.

Quincy is the most improved player in the league right? He’s climbing the pantheon of post players quickly. His footwork might be top five already. Wallace, Otis Hill, Hak are my top 3 here...Q might be 4...I’m sure I’m leaving a couple out.

Watch the difference in off the ball movement when Kadary is running the point. Players cut because they know they’ll get the ball EXACTLY where they can do the most with it. That kind of feel is rare.

Nice energy by Griffin early. Set the tone. He’s a good player, needs seasoning though.

Not having Sidibe really limits our upside. At some point we’re gonna run into a team with a post presence who will murder us.

I’d love to see 4-8 minutes per game with Kadary Griffin up top, with Q, Marek and Jesse. ...and press. Use up Jesse’s fouls trying to protect the rim.

We ran into that team in UNC, and get to run into them again.

Had to listen to the VT radio broadcast today, they went from feeling they could steal it at the 16 minute mark in the second half to wanting to be at their local Cracker Barrel at the 10 minute mark.

hard to argue after a big win, but up 20 with several minutes left and braswell and edwards couldn’t get any playing time to close the game out? Get them more comfortable, never know when you might need people. Marek always plays hard, maybe sub him out and get him some rest. He is smaller, he doesn’t need the extra bruising and hits the last couple mins. He played all 40 today.

Really happy with the big win. Just never really understand the lineups.

hard to argue after a big win, but up 20 with several minutes left and braswell and edwards couldn’t get any playing time to close the game out? Get them more comfortable, never know when you might need people. Marek always plays hard, maybe sub him out and get him some rest. He is smaller, he doesn’t need the extra bruising and hits the last couple mins. He played all 40 today.

Really happy with the big win. Just never really understand the lineups.
Pittsburg says hello.

We will have to try and roll with Jesse against those bigger teams. Sure it will be up and down with him but at least he provides a real counter to their size vs essentially throwing in the towel and hoping to win it from the perimeter and generating turnovers with Marek at the 5.

I’m going to nitpick a bit with Q. He’s been fantastic this year but if he could just develop some confidence in his left hand and not have to pump fake until he can get back to his right hand, he would be unstoppable inside. Again, he’s been great and the least of our concerns. Just an observation.

Good summary. That pressing lineup would be fin, and if Woody ever gets back, add him to the mix.
BTW when you’re talking about big man footwork, Arinze has to be near if not at the top of the list.

Good summary. That pressing lineup would be fin, and if Woody ever gets back, add him to the mix.
BTW when you’re talking about big man footwork, Arinze has to be near if not at the top of the list.
Throw in Otis Hill man could he score in the paint.

Otis Hill

The 12 dribble backdown may be low percentage but the pull up or quick backdown for a mid range is a great addition to Buddy’s game.

Dude got into foul trouble in the first half.

Yeah, and?

He didn’t go back in during the 2nd half until very late.
Only played 6 in the 2nd half, after 9 good ones in the first (sans the fouls, of course)

Also - once we were up 20 with like 4 minutes to go, why did only AG get pulled?
Woulda been a great time to get Jesse, Bras &/or Woody some run.

I’m the biggest Doley fan in the world, and he had a great game, but why did he play all 40 mins? In a blowout?

And again- ditto for Buddy w 38, and he didn’t earn them.
Jackson was 3/13. Woof.

Let's find stuff to bitch about after the team trashed the number 12 team in the country. This is semi-professional sports, not little league. The coaching staff does what they do to win games, not cater to players feelings.

I’m going to nitpick a bit with Q. He’s been fantastic this year but if he could just develop some confidence in his left hand and not have to pump fake until he can get back to his right hand, he would be unstoppable inside. Again, he’s been great and the least of our concerns. Just an observation.

His pump fake gets opponents to leave their feet then Q goes up and creates contact and the opponent picks up a foul. It's one of the many things I like about him.

Yeah, and?

He didn’t go back in during the 2nd half until very late.
Only played 6 in the 2nd half, after 9 good ones in the first (sans the fouls, of course)

Also - once we were up 20 with like 4 minutes to go, why did only AG get pulled?
Woulda been a great time to get Jesse, Bras &/or Woody some run.

I’m the biggest Doley fan in the world, and he had a great game, but why did he play all 40 mins? In a blowout?

And again- ditto for Buddy w 38, and he didn’t earn them.
Jackson was 3/13. Woof.
All those minutes knowing there was another game, against a better team, just two days later. Seems like a lot of short term thinking over long range goals. In my opinion.

Let's find stuff to bitch about after the team trashed the number 12 team in the country. This is semi-professional sports, not little league. The coaching staff does what they do to win games, not cater to players feelings.
Your right. This is a fan forum. We shouldn’t discuss what we thought about the game.

All those minutes knowing there was another game, against a better team, just two days later. Seems like a lot of short term thinking over long range goals. In my opinion.
Except there has been so little practice time as well as lost games, your best guys have to get their legs and get into form.
Plus, many in here sound like parents of high school kids not playing. This is big boy sports. If you’re not playing, play better in practice.

Last edited:
Except there has been so little practice time as well as lost games, your best guys have to get there legs and get into form.
Plus, many in here sound like parents of high school kids not playing. This is big boy sports. If you’re not playing, play better in practice.
Then they advocate for putting these guys in during walkon time when the other team has given up to salve their fragile ego's which would be much less valuable to their development than the practice games and is really an insult to them.

Except there has been so little practice time as well as lost games, your best guys have to get there legs and get into form.
To quote millhouse, this is dumb. Do better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom