Just talked to Lowell re Parking | Syracusefan.com

Just talked to Lowell re Parking

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Said that while officially on hold till June, based on previous years he thinks it is very unlikely anything more than Skytop will be avail to a first timer. So. .. my question is, if I wanted to join the sfan tailgaters in Fine, can I being sh_t on the shuttle? Beer, food, etc? Disposable bags, styro coolers, etc? Would this be allowed?

Said that while officially on hold till June, based on previous years he thinks it is very unlikely anything more than Skytop will be avail to a first timer. So. .. my question is, if I wanted to join the sfan tailgaters in Fine, can I being sh_t on the shuttle? Beer, food, etc? Disposable bags, styro coolers, etc? Would this be allowed?

Depends on how much, but yes. And I anticipate needing to do the same thing this fall. No open containers, obviously, and it's usually easier to haul some stuff earlier - the later it gets, the more crowded the shuttles are (and the more likely you are to find a driver who doesn't want you crashing into a packed bus with a couple coolers).

How early before the game does skytop open. I wanted to get a tailgate up there with a bunch of buddies

Skytop opens pretty early...they allow overnight RV parking there. I've been told you can get there as early as you want...anyone confirm?

As for parking near the Fine Lot there are options. Our fella that works in the booth is very good at letting folks drive in and do dropoffs. We always get folks dropping off things and passengers, leave and go park and walk back.

There is parking nearby the Fine Lot. Garages, very small amount on street for the early birds, parking under I-81 and off Adams. Also Retro44 has parked at the King School on the other side of I-81. That lot might become more popular as Stadium West is restricted (Note: I would probably only park there for daylight games). The lot off East Castle is the shortest walk to the Fine Lot and the Dome.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=king...8&panoid=tvFRjQs7ug2O6maoPFF_4w&cbp=11,0,,0,0

How early before the game does skytop open. I wanted to get a tailgate up there with a bunch of buddies
Lot is open all the time.

We get there early (6 hours or so before game time) and beat the parking staff there.

We get there early (6 hours or so before game time) and beat the parking staff there.
Do they just come by to check for passes or ask for $$$ when they arrive?

Do you notice the lot getting close to capacity for any games?

Do they just come by to check for passes or ask for $$$ when they arrive?

Do you notice the lot getting close to capacity for any games?
It depends, some times they have come over and asked for money but mostly they don't bother and we park for free.

Only game in recent memory where I recall parking issues was Penn State. The smaller lots when you first pull in get packed before the game but the large lot in the back doesn't.

Did you request Stadium West parking and become a member of the Orange Pack? If you did both you qualify for Level A Parking which even if Fine and Standart are full would put you at another A level lot farther out from the Dome but certainly not all the way to Skytop. OrangeExtreme is well versed in the parking situation, hopefully he will chime in and can correct any errors in my original statement. If the new parking lots are good to go by this season ( it appears they will be), there maybe some extra space over in Stadium West and that would like likely mean you would get a West parking pass which will now be good for the Fine and Standart lots. The main issues yet to be resolved are whether or not the new parking lot will be accessible, how many can make the move, and what is the cost, if the fine lot regualars can make the move over the parking situation will become clearer.

As Mark noted you can usually drop off food and other items without to much of a hassle if we are still at the Fine lot this year. There is some on street parking but it is very minimal and SU/SPD has closed off parking on the lower portion of the main road that goes up to the Dome and due to construction the whole street will probably be closed off this fall. The other option is the public garage next to the VA garage, its $15 a game I believe but your right next to the Dome and a 5 min walk to the fine lot.

Any idea what time the parking staff gets there?

As to the OP, open containers on the bus are a no no and not even worth the time to try. Ive seen multiple folks made to hand their beers off the bus and a few that refused were made to leave the bus. You can take a roadie on your walk to the bus line and finish it before boarding. I usually grab a closed one as well for the walk through the quad after getting off the bus. Anything more than that and you may want a backpack and really that is 2 beers in a half hour max window after however long you spent prior to that tailgaiting so anything more would be excess unless you're sneaking them into the dome.

Did you request Stadium West parking and become a member of the Orange Pack? If you did both you qualify for Level A Parking which even if Fine and Standart are full would put you at another A level lot farther out from the Dome but certainly not all the way to Skytop. OrangeExtreme is well versed in the parking situation, hopefully he will chime in and can correct any errors in my original statement. If the new parking lots are good to go by this season ( it appears they will be), there maybe some extra space over in Stadium West and that would like likely mean you would get a West parking pass which will now be good for the Fine and Standart lots. The main issues yet to be resolved are whether or not the new parking lot will be accessible, how many can make the move, and what is the cost, if the fine lot regualars can make the move over the parking situation will become clearer.

As Mark noted you can usually drop off food and other items without to much of a hassle if we are still at the Fine lot this year. There is some on street parking but it is very minimal and SU/SPD has closed off parking on the lower portion of the main road that goes up to the Dome and due to construction the whole street will probably be closed off this fall. The other option is the public garage next to the VA garage, its $15 a game I believe but your right next to the Dome and a 5 min walk to the fine lot.
Took a close look at the status of the lot SU is creating to replace the Standart Lot last week when I parked in the area to attend the Spring Game.

All the houses have been leveled and most of the ground in that block has been smoothed to a relatively flat surface. They have some work to do with a few big boulders, stone walls and maybe a tree or two, but I would think if they wanted, it could easily be ready by the end of June. Should be no problem having it ready for football season.

Skytop opens pretty early...they allow overnight RV parking there. I've been told you can get there as early as you want...anyone confirm?

As for parking near the Fine Lot there are options. Our fella that works in the booth is very good at letting folks drive in and do dropoffs. We always get folks dropping off things and passengers, leave and go park and walk back.

There is parking nearby the Fine Lot. Garages, very small amount on street for the early birds, parking under I-81 and off Adams. Also Retro44 has parked at the King School on the other side of I-81. That lot might become more popular as Stadium West is restricted (Note: I would probably only park there for daylight games). The lot off East Castle is the shortest walk to the Fine Lot and the Dome.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=king school&hl=en&ll=43.034329,-76.143558&spn=0.003278,0.01929&sll=43.033859,-76.141927&sspn=0.00756,0.01929&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hq=king school&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.034331,-76.143558&panoid=tvFRjQs7ug2O6maoPFF_4w&cbp=11,0,,0,0

Why don't we all just chip in, buy that abandoned house across from the lot on East Castle and create the greatest man cave in the history of mankind. I have visions of a wall in the living room with 40 beers on tap. Think Old School.

As to the OP, open containers on the bus are a no no and not even worth the time to try. Ive seen multiple folks made to hand their beers off the bus and a few that refused were made to leave the bus. You can take a roadie on your walk to the bus line and finish it before boarding. I usually grab a closed one as well for the walk through the quad after getting off the bus. Anything more than that and you may want a backpack and really that is 2 beers in a half hour max window after however long you spent prior to that tailgaiting so anything more would be excess unless you're sneaking them into the dome.
If I had to guess I would say they are there about 3-4 hours before game time. I actually think they started coming earlier last year to try and beat us but it doesn't work.

Correct, we usually put a beer in the pocket for the Quad walk, though most times if you get in the back of the bus you can sneak on an open one.

This will not help for being near the Fine lot but based on last year's numbers, I would be surprised if Harrison and Lehman don't have available slots. It's a bit of a walk to the dome but not too bad and also great for stopping at a bar or Cosmos on the walk back.

If you are in shape and don't mind a walk...I always like North Manley. If the weather is crappy you can take the shuttle but on nice days I loved that walk on game day.

Hate to be an "I told you so." But the early adopters in the Fine Lot have been beating the drum to every one to get in while there was space 2-3 years ago. Better team + less parking and now everyone wants in.

Why don't we all just chip in, buy that abandoned house across from the lot on East Castle and create the greatest man cave in the history of mankind. I have visions of a wall in the living room with 40 beers on tap. Think Old School.
Yeah and we can house our Fine Lot bottle collecting crew there year round to watch the place for us!

Took a close look at the status of the lot SU is creating to replace the Standart Lot last week when I parked in the area to attend the Spring Game.

All the houses have been leveled and most of the ground in that block has been smoothed to a relatively flat surface. They have some work to do with a few big boulders, stone walls and maybe a tree or two, but I would think if they wanted, it could easily be ready by the end of June. Should be no problem having it ready for football season.

I've been told the lot will be ready for Football Season. The bad news is SU has ignored all our inputs for tailgating at the new lot: water, electric, opening bathrooms in the new Law Building. Maybe building a pavillion behind the law building, etc...We'll see but SU doesn't get it (creating a tailgate friendly lot which would get a higher fee). The good news is they are building an addition to the Dining Hall next door which I heard might have easy access to some bathrooms.

I've been told the lot will be ready for Football Season. The bad news is SU has ignored all our inputs for tailgating at the new lot: water, electric, opening bathrooms in the new Law Building. Maybe building a pavillion behind the law building, etc...We'll see but SU doesn't get it (creating a tailgate friendly lot which would get a higher fee). The good news is they are building an addition to the Dining Hall next door which I heard might have easy access to some bathrooms.

No suprise about SU not coming through with those additions, some things SU just doesnt get, and tailgating is certainly one of them. As long as they have a couple port a johns set up everything else will work itself out, though power and water would have been nice.

No suprise about SU not coming through with those additions, some things SU just doesnt get, and tailgating is certainly one of them. As long as they have a couple port a johns set up everything else will work itself out, though power and water would have been nice.
For guys usually yes...me thinks the gals don't agree. However, SU's porta-johns are the SEC of porta-johns.

If you are in shape and don't mind a walk...I always like North Manley. If the weather is crappy you can take the shuttle but on nice days I loved that walk on game day.

Hate to be an "I told you so." But the early adopters in the Fine Lot have been beating the drum to every one to get in while there was space a 2-3 years ago. Better team + less parking and now everyone wants in.
As the Commissioner of the North Manley Lot I appreciate the kind words. It obviously pales in comparison to the Fine lot from an atmosphere standpoint and its pretty far, but we are able to get anyone we want into the lot which works well. And, on decent days the walk through the cemetery with a roadie is a piece of cake.

As the Commissioner of the North Manley Lot I appreciate the kind words. It obviously pales in comparison to the Fine lot from an atmosphere standpoint and its pretty far, but we are able to get anyone we want into the lot which works well. And, on decent days the walk through the cemetery with a roadie is a piece of cake.

And sometimes angels from the Fine Lot hand deliver free North Manley Lot passes. Any idea if your lot is filled this year?

And sometimes angels from the Fine Lot hand deliver free North Manley Lot passes. Any idea if your lot is filled this year?
It helps to have friends in high places Mark.;) I'm not sure if the lot is sold out or not. Normally, if you don't specify, they give you a South Manley pass by default. I'll have to check.

I'd guess if they're putting all the newbies into Skytop, there must be no room left in Manley North or South.

I don't know if they were selling any new West lot passes or if they're at capacity. Maybe the new lot will be student parking only, which should free up Fine for more gameday traffic.

It helps to have friends in high places Mark.;) I'm not sure if the lot is sold out or not. Normally, if you don't specify, they give you a South Manley pass by default. I'll have to check.
Hopefully you can be in position to accept some refugees...it will be good to have Syracusefan.com sponsored tailgates on the west and south flanks.

Hopefully you can be in position to accept some refugees...it will be good to have Syracusefan.com sponsored tailgates on the west and south flanks.
I think we could also acquire the high ground surrounding the Thornden Park water tower with a small force carrying light arms. Would be an excellent place to position cannons, would open up a new flank from the East and the walk to the Dome is mostly downhill.

Parking in the park is legal, I think. If not, the police could surely be bribed by some of OE's delicious hummus.

Football_under_watertower.jpg

Linkage