Just took a random sampling of ACC boards... | Syracusefan.com

Just took a random sampling of ACC boards...

44cuse

All Conference
Generally positive I would say with the large exception of UNC. The folks on their board are negative across the board. And from reading the posts, not sure we should care that much. I would say they discuss their FB program as if they were at VT's, or Wisc's level. Pretty weak football posts across the board.

Now, I think we are fairly realistic about where we are right now, but there was a complete lack of any sense of college football history on their site. That said, 1 poster did post some facts comparing our history to theirs which is clearly better. And from the basketball side of things...it was almost comical how far ahead they thought ACC basketball was in comparison to other conferences. To the point where some of their posters were saying we brought nothing to the table in either sport. Odd...particularly since the BE has been the far better conference in hoops top to bottom.

Enough about UNC...Duke was easily the most positive. Pretty simple...best school in the conference...they get it. Clemson fairly positive as well but more than anything because they are likely looking to get out of the conference. BC pretty positive s well for the most part.

Ultimately, I don't expect a warm welcome to the ACC. Good.

44cuse

Generally positive I would say with the large exception of UNC. The folks on their board are negative across the board. And from reading the posts, not sure we should care that much. I would say they discuss their FB program as if they were at VT's, or Wisc's level. Pretty weak football posts across the board.

Now, I think we are fairly realistic about where we are right now, but there was a complete lack of any sense of college football history on their site. That said, 1 poster did post some facts comparing our history to theirs which is clearly better. And from the basketball side of things...it was almost comical how far ahead they thought ACC basketball was in comparison to other conferences. To the point where some of their posters were saying we brought nothing to the table in either sport. Odd...particularly since the BE has been the far better conference in hoops top to bottom.

Enough about UNC...Duke was easily the most positive. Pretty simple...best school in the conference...they get it. Clemson fairly positive as well but more than anything because they are likely looking to get out of the conference. BC pretty positive s well for the most part.

44cuse

UNC fans are almost always negative towards other programs. Extremely arrogant, condescending fanbase. Almost every conversation I've had with a Tarheel fan down here quickly turns into them talking about how great UNC is in everything and how much my team sucks in everything. They have no interest in facts, they are ACC royalty.

I hope we are playing in 2012 in the ACC so nassib can rip them apart!!
Best way to show you belong is to win in competition

UNC fans are almost always negative towards other programs. Extremely arrogant, condescending fanbase. Almost every conversation I've had with a Tarheel fan down here quickly turns into them talking about how great UNC is in everything and how much my team sucks in everything. They have no interest in facts, they are ACC royalty.

That's why they are 'affectionately' known as "The Tarholes" by most of the other ACC fans. They have an overinflated sense of self. They forget that Dean Smith had to beg Roy Williams to leave Kansas and come back. Imagine where they would be now if he hadn't?

I've been living in the Charlotte area suburbs for over 16 years now and have been to the Raleigh/Durham area on many occasions as well. UNC fans (Duke too) are very passionate about their team and, as noted, there's an air of arrogance. However, there are so many people living in these areas that are from NY, NJ, New England, etc., that in no way is it/will it be a North vs. South thing. Today that's fable, not fact, especially in these metropolitan cities. I guarantee Duke/UNC/NC State fans will continue to spend more negative energy against each other vs. SU or any of their new northern brothers.

If you're trying to get an accurate account of the general consensus here in the carolinas, you may be a bit surprised as it will not be one of dominant hostility/negativity...remember fan(atic) internet forums reflect only a very very minute percentage of the general population... :)

44cuse

I spent a lot of time down there and I recall the local sports on TV and in the paper barely covered anything that wasn't UNC/Duke/NC State or Wake. They think that's the universe.

The NC State board seems to be unanimously against the addition of Yankee schools to the conference. Probably because it will drive both their football and basketball brand further into irrelevance.

Well their world is crumbling and with it the level of their influence. As the ACC expands beyond being a southern league the votes in NC start to mean less and less. So it is not surprising they are lashing out.

Our best bet is to get a few more BE schools in there and have them create separate 8 team North/South conferences. We can play the BBall tournament at Gettysburg.
As long as it's 4 Days----- Not 2

Well their world is crumbling and with it the level of their influence. As the ACC expands beyond being a southern league the votes in NC start to mean less and less. So it is not surprising they are lashing out.
^this. They went from half the league (before FSU in '92) to one third, and now it looks like they're going down to 25%. Finally every decision the league makes won't have to go down Tobacco Road.

I was in Chapel Hill for the SU FB game some years back. My brother (who is about 6'3.5 and 185 and a former pro athlete) Tim Lane's dad, a former D-1 FB player and about 6'3 240 still solid pounds, and myself, a shade under 6' with a 18" neck and while a few pounds over my ideal weight, not a total cream puff, were weighting in line to get into an eating/drinking establishment. These 2 college kids (yes two) who probably didn't outweigh me, start giving us crap when they see our SU stuff. It was good natured, until they really started in. Tim's dad grabbed the biggest of the two by the arms, pinning them to his side, picks him up, moves him about 5 feet from where he was standing, says through clinched teeth, " I will crush you" then sets the kid down. We had no more trouble after that. I was SOOOOO glad we won that game, arrogant bastards.

I was in Chapel Hill for the SU FB game some years back. My brother (who is about 6'3.5 and 185 and a former pro athlete) Tim Lane's dad, a former D-1 FB player and about 6'3 240 still solid pounds, and myself, a shade under 6' with a 18" neck and while a few pounds over my ideal weight, not a total cream puff, were weighting in line to get into an eating/drinking establishment. These 2 college kids (yes two) who probably didn't outweigh me, start giving us crap when they see our SU stuff. It was good natured, until they really started in. Tim's dad grabbed the biggest of the two by the arms, pinning them to his side, picks him up, moves him about 5 feet from where he was standing, says through clinched teeth, " I will crush you" then sets the kid down. We had no more trouble after that. I was SOOOOO glad we won that game, arrogant bastards.
We will be happy to take them down a notch or two this weekend... You're welcome to watch the magic happen on ESPN at noon. :)

I was there - recall seeing Mr. Lane.

I had no trouble in Chapel Hill - really liked the campus and the sorority girls in their best summer dresses, rushing the houses.

That was a fun experience - I look forward to getting back there.

BC pretty positive as well for the most part.

44cuse

Show me a BC fan who isn't happy about this and I'll show you either:

A. Someone who isn't really a BC fan
B. Someone who probably either can't spell their name, or really struggles with the tying of the shoes.

The BC AD has made clear his desire to schedule the SU game on Thanksgiving every year - sounds happy to me.

The AD has made clear his desire to schedule the SU game on Thanksgiving every year - sounds happy to me.

Now doesnt that sound like a true rivalry - we play no matter what or how each team is doing we play Thanksgiving every year! Where in the Big East did we have that in football?

You gotta love the power that brute force can bring to things like that. Being the son of a former Syracuse lineman, I can say I've done my fair share of using brute force at sporting events. I went to the Wake Forest game a few years back (we lost sadly) and I about had to kill a few of their fans and I was still like 14 or 15.

ACC fans can be a pain in the arse... that said so can we

Wake Forest alum here. I know Wake's is probably not the first ACC board you'd go to, but there has been nothing but positive reaction to Syracuse joining the conference there. I have not read a post nor have I spoken with anyone from Wake who is not delighted to have Cuse.

IMO, you guys are a better fit than any of the three BE schools we took in in 2003. Syracuse and Pitt are both great additions, academically and athletically. I think UConn will be as well. Not sure who number 16 will be, though.

I was given a big "Good morning new ACC member" by a resident UNC fan when I walked into the office today. My experience with UNC fans has been nothing but good despite my being a Yankee.

Wake Forest alum here. I know Wake's is probably not the first ACC board you'd go to, but there has been nothing but positive reaction to Syracuse joining the conference there. I have not read a post nor have I spoken with anyone from Wake who is not delighted to have Cuse.

IMO, you guys are a better fit than any of the three BE schools we took in in 2003. Syracuse and Pitt are both great additions, academically and athletically. I think UConn will be as well. Not sure who number 16 will be, though.
That doesn't surprise me one bit. I was really impressed with how classy Wake fans were a couple of weeks ago when we played WF. Which makes me happy, considering Wake was one of the only schools I ever even considered attending other than SU.

Tar Heel fan here: VERY excited to have you guys & Pitt joining the ACC. Great fit academically & athletically, good gridiron & hoops tradition, etc. The lax will be just silly... I'm especially relieved to reduce the chance of the SEC or B1G poaching current members, and to get some natural geographic rivals for BC & Maryland. Bring in UConn & Rutgers, divide into North and South divisions to increase fan interest, and start raking in the $$$... what's not to like?

Well, having Rutgers remain with us is something not to like...

Rutgers.

Always liked Wake. Thanks for the note.

44cuse

The BC AD has made clear his desire to schedule the SU game on Thanksgiving every year - sounds happy to me.
That sounds like a great idea. I really really like that idea.

44cuse