Just wanted to say I love this staff

sufan4eva13

2nd String
They’re just so impressive and keep impressing every single day as coaches. We are ascending as a program into the next tier, and I think we can make an even bigger jump in 2019. I really believe we are watching this turn into what will be a perennial top 25 program under Dino Babers.

RF2044

Living Legend
They’re just so impressive and keep impressing every single day as coaches. We are ascending as a program into the next tier, and I think we can make an even bigger junk in 2019. I really believe we are watching this turn into what will be a perennial top 25 program under Dino Babers.
Bringing in a quality QB and a 3* D-lineman this late in the process (on back to back days) is so huge. LGO!
Agree 100% with both of these posts.

Staff is high performing.

Head coach is charismatic as hell, and a proven winner.

We literally could not have made a better hire.

CA Monk

2nd String
Not sure how we didn’t lose any position coaches after this season. These guys know they’re in a really good spot right now.
I know. Zero turnover as of this date. I think they got bumped when HCDFB did. No more Mike Harts looking for gr$$ner pastures.

Finwad32

All American
This staff sucks.

In all seriousness, there was a handful of us standing around the other day talking about how lucky we are to have the people in place we do now. JDub to DB and on down.

An SU Football alum said point blank that his group did not think a turnaround of this magnitude was possible this fast, if possible at all.

This is going to be a fun ride. And I’m very grateful to be a witness.

Good times fam.

shu 49

All Conference
This staff sucks.

In all seriousness, there was a handful of us standing around the other day talking about how lucky we are to have the people in place we do now. JDub to DB and on down.

An SU Football alum said point blank that his group did not think a turnaround of this magnitude was possible this fast, if possible at all.

This is going to be a fun ride. And I’m very grateful to be a witness.

Good times fam.
I just never understood how we could not think a turnaround is possible. Maybe not as quickly as it happened but we were really good al” of 90’s and showed with good coaching we could get guys and place them in nfl. That is the key also is once our guys start sticking on nfl teams consistently our recruiting will bump up even more. We have a place and school where the pressure to win is good but not crazy like some schools and when we do win we really appreciate it as a fan base. I knew we could win again, just wasn’t sure when. Love our coaches.

NJCuse97

Starter
I'm reminded that there was a lot of angst on this board when Babers came in and totally cleaned house and brought in his own people (incl. the S&C coach).
That’s not how I remember it, especially S&C. Most hated our S&C and were excited to see that change. The only concern I recall about moving on from Hicks was the connection to Freeney.

ForeverOrange

Scout Team
As much as I am a fan of this lovefest, I will brace myself for possible setbacks next season. If we take a few steps back season, I hope you all keep the same energy we have now. Regardless of results next season, we definitely have the right coach and are headed in the right direction.

AAM62

Starter
As much as I am a fan of this lovefest, I will brace myself for possible setbacks next season. If we take a few steps back season, I hope you all keep the same energy we have now. Regardless of results next season, we definitely have the right coach and are headed in the right direction.
I hear you. The good thing is the step back may just be a 6-7 win season, which is still progress.

CuseCactus

Starter
I'm setting my expectation at 7 wins - hoping for 10 (regular season). Not yet convinced about Devito - especially with the line issues. I'll gladly and happily eat a lot of crow when I'm wrong.

SoBristol

All Conference
The love fest coming off a good November and a bowl win is a welcome change for sure. Now, we close out an ok recruiting class with a QB and adding another DE/DT and people are on a cloud. Not caring that our class is sitting below most of the conference.

Last year at this time, few could see the team was stronger everywhere except wr and lb, and were only a few steps (Martin, Guthrie, Curtis — good health for Dungey) from our best season in 16 years. It is the November effect, good or not so hot.

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate
My expectations set at 8 wins, considering our ooc schedule and the fact that FSU and UL are still complete question marks.

Squeezing on more down year out of even one of those two would be huge considering each game is on the road

PhatOrange

Living Legend
The love fest coming off a good November and a bowl win is a welcome change for sure. Now, we close out an ok recruiting class with a QB and adding another DE/DT and people are on a cloud. Not caring that our class is sitting below most of the conference.
people don't care where the class sits in the rankings because they can see who's offering the kids. it's not that hard to understand.

SoBristol

All Conference
people don't care where the class sits in the rankings because they can see who's offering the kids. it's not that hard to understand.
In fairness, many care how we compare, and I am not knocking the staff or any of our recruits. Can go by national rankings, or compare who had offers, or whether we won head to head battles. Not as if the kids electing Pitt didn't have a bunch of offers.

My point, of course, is that fans are feeling extra happy coming off a strong season. Head coaches always want to win in November to give their fans a happy off-season.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
In fairness, many care how we compare, and I am not knocking the staff or any of our recruits. Can go by national rankings, or compare who had offers, or whether we won head to head battles. Not as if the kids electing Pitt didn't have a bunch of offers.
Anybody who cares about the rankings by just looking at the sites is ignorant about it.

Funny you should mention Pitt because that's the school I looked at. They're a close peer school and Rivals has them #9 in the conference (#45 nationally) and has us #13 conference and #59 nationally. Pretty substantial difference.

Pitt's class is lacking top end offers. Some of their highest rated kids have the worst collection of offers (their QB and New York Offensive Lineman for example.) Any impartial observer would have to give Syracuse the nod but if you're comparing from recruiting sites without context you'd think they blew us away. They didn't.

Liam Dick - OL - Burlington, ON
(O) Fresno St, Howard, Kent State, Liberty

Daniel Carter - RB - St Thomas Aquinas, FL
(O) Auburn, BC, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Kansas, KSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, Ohio St, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, VT, WVU

Will Gipson - WR - Aliquippa, PA 5.6
(O) Ball State, Howard, Miam(OH), Rutgers, Toledo

Nate Temple - DE - Abbeville, SC
(O) Middle Tennessee State

Jared Wayne - WR - Clearwater, FL
(O) Bowling Green, South Florida

Matt Goncalves - OL - Manorville, NY
(O) Bryant, Buffalo, Connecticut, Stony Brook (NO SYRACUSE OFFER)

AJ Woods - CB - Germantown, MD
(O) Air Force, Army, Buffalo, Campbell

Jason Collier - TE - Westville, NJ
(O) Duke, Maryland, Syracuse, Virginia

Kyi Wright - LB - Farrell, PA
(O) Akron, Cincinnati, Maryland, Miami (OH), Syracuse, Temple, Toledo, UCLA, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Youngstown St

Bam Brima - DE - Williamsport, PA
(O) Albany, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Fordham, Kent St, UMass, Towson

Vincent Davis - RB - Ft Lauderdale, FL
(O) Applachian St, BC, Bowling Green, Buffalo, FIU, Georgia St, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Marshall, Miami OH, NIU, Syracuse, Toledo, UNLV, Wake Forest

Brandon George - LB - Reading, PA
(O) Albany, Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Holy Cross, Howard, James Madison, New Hampshire, Temple, Towson, Wake Forest

Davis Beville - QB - Greenville, SC - 4* 5.8
(O) Applachian State, Campbell, Cincinnati, Colorado St, Dartmouth, Georgia St, Northwestern, Rutgers, Toledo, Western Kentucky, Yale

Deandre Jules - DE - Germantown, MD
(O) BC, ECU, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, UNC, Purdue, Rutgers, Wake Forest

Brandon Hill - S - Apopka, FL
(O) BC, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, FAU, FIU, GT, Iowa State, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, NC St, Purdue, USF, Toledo, Troy, Tulane, UCF, UVA, Western Kentucky

Bryce Nelms - DE - West Orange, NJ
(O) BC, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, UConn, Kent State, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, UCF, UVA

Calijah Kancey - DT - Miami, FL
(O) Applachian St, Florida A&M, FAU, FIU, Georgia St, GT, Kansas St, LVille, Marshall, Old Dominion, Rutgers, South Carolina, USF, Southern Miss, Toledo, Tulane, UAB

Leslie Smith - LB - Miami, FL
(O) Air Force, Buffalo, Colorado St, Dartmouth, FAU, Harvard, Holy Cross, Kent State, Morgan St, Princeton, Rhode Island, USF, Southern Miss, Temple, UAB

Nick Malone - OL - Morgantown, WV
(O) Eastern Kentucky, Robert Morris, Rutgers

Last edited:

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Syracuse

Mikel Jones - LB - IMG Academy, Bradenton FL *** O/D ALL AMERICAN***
(O) Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Iowa St, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, NC State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Purdue, Utah, WVU, FIU, Temple

Lee Kpogba - LB - Parkland HS, Winston Salem, NC
(O) Duke, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, East Carolina, Old Dominion

Jawhar Jordan - RB
(O) Arizona, Iowa St, Kansas, Louisville, Missouri, Oklahoma St, Rutgers, Texas, Fresno St, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico St, UMASS, UNLV

Andrew Tuazama - DE - North Carolina
(O) Florida St., Maryland, Miami (FL), Mississippi, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, East Carolina

Courtney Jackson- WR - Gateway HS, Monroeville, PA
(O) Baylor, BC, Kentucky, Northwestern, West Virginia, Akron, Army, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Eastern Michigan, Memphis, Temple, Toledo

Adrian Cole - CB - Plantation HS, Plantation, FL
(O) Kansas, Kansas St, Maryland, Pitt, Rutgers, Bowling Green, Buffalo, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Toledo, UAB, UMASS, USF, Western Michigan

Cooper Dawson - DL - Hanahan HS, Hanahan, SC
(O) Clemson, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Virginia, UCLA, App. St., Army, Coastal Carolina, Colorado St, Navy, ODU, Tulane, UCF, USF

Anthony Red- OT - St. Thomas More HS, Oakdale, CT
(O) Buffalo, Temple, UMass

Cornelius Nunn - S - Miami Palmetto HS, Miami, FL O/D ALL AMERICAN*** (Decommit from Miami)
(O) Alabama, Auburn, BC, Baylor, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami, Nebraska, NC St, Oklahoma, Pitt, Tennessee, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, FAMU, FIU, FAU, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB, UMass, USF

Jason Munoz - DL - St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale, FL (Decommit from Miami)
(O)Boston College, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, Pitt, Cincinnati, ECU, FAU,

Aman Greenwood - S/CB - St. John's HS, Washington, DC
(O) Boston College, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pitt, Rutgers, ECU, Temple

Darius Tisdale - OT - Lackawanna CC, Scranton, PA
(O) Arkansas, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, Marshall

David Summers - QB - St. Joseph’s HS, Trumbull, CT - (Decommit from Maryland)
(O) Maryland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo

Garrett Williams - CB - Hickory Ridge HS, Harrisburg, NC
(O) Maryland, West Virginia, Air Force, App St., Army, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, Georgia Southern, James Madison

Joe Rondi- DT - Wayne Hills HS, Wayne, NJ
(O) Rutgers, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kent St, Temple

Ishmael Goulbourne - DE - Dwyer HS, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
(O) Buffalo, Cincinnati, Georgia State, Tulane, UAB, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan

Luke Benson - TE - Central Bucks West HS, Doylestown, PA
(O) Army

Matthew K. Bergeron - OT - Cegep De Thetford, Quebec, Canada
(O) None. #2 ranked player in Canada. Camp offer.

Geoffrey Cantin-Arku - LB Cegep Garneau, Quebec, Canada
(O) None. #1 ranked player in Canada. Camp offer.

RF2044

Living Legend

Last year at this time, few could see the team was stronger everywhere except wr and lb, and were only a few steps (Martin, Guthrie, Curtis — good health for Dungey) from our best season in 16 years. It is the November effect, good or not so hot.
We were picked to finish last in our division of the ACC last year, and came within a play of winning it en route to 6 wins.

Paper-based prognostications don't mean squat. Our class is much better than #13 in the conference, and that will prove out on the field. This staff knows what they are doing. The rest of the country will catch on soon, if they haven't already.

SoBristol

All Conference
We were picked to finish last in our division of the ACC last year, and came within a play of winning it en route to 6 wins.

Paper-based prognostications don't mean squat. Our class is much better than #13 in the conference, and that will prove out on the field. This staff knows what they are doing. The rest of the country will catch on soon, if they haven't already.
I think you are missing part of the point. We were picked last, and many posters were down, because they couldn't get past the way the 2017 season ended. They did not see what we actually had with Dungey and a strong veteran OL and all the multi-year starters. We needed to stay healthy and get a few breaks.

Now, many posters here are way optimistic. Paper-based prognostications don't mean squat, either way, including what you wrote. Devito and this new bunch have to prove it on the field, as we all know. And I sure hope the recruiting class is every bit as good as some of you believe.

RF2044

Living Legend
I think you are missing part of the point. We were picked last, and many posters were down, because they couldn't get past the way the 2017 season ended. They did not see what we actually had with Dungey and a strong veteran OL and all the multi-year starters. We needed to stay healthy and get a few breaks.

Now, many posters here are way optimistic. Paper-based prognostications don't mean squat, either way, including what you wrote. Devito and this new bunch have to prove it on the field, as we all know. And I sure hope the recruiting class is every bit as good as some of you believe.
I think you're missing part of the point -- basing your opinion of our class upon paper-based prognostications is a mistake. It isn't "faith without evidence" anymore -- I've seen this coaching staff far exceed the last place predictions. I've seen the roster turned over from a talent, size, speed, and athleticism standpoint in just a few short years [and the roster isn't even optimized yet], and I've seen an improvement in our players' ability to compete with the elite teams in our conference. Those things are not going to evaporate in the off-season -- our coaching staff is building something formidable.

I don't know what next year's team's ceiling is -- time will tell -- but I am optimistic because the footprint is in place, the coaching staff has shown that they can identify talent that allows us to compete at the top of the conference, and because the offers of the players we are reeling in has improved.

The last thing any fan of the program should feel compelled to do is wring their hands over the state of recruiting relative to our peers. That's the point.

Last edited:

Ish88888

All American
Agree 100% with both of these posts.

Staff is high performing.

Head coach is charismatic as hell, and a proven winner.

We literally could not have made a better hire.
Well said and that's why , as doushy as he is, i cant have ultimate hate for Mark Coyle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom