Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy

I know Lustig is really well respected as a ST coach but perhaps we weren’t getting enough out of WR and Recruiting to justify keeping increasing his price tag?

I find it hard to believe Vandy made an offer we couldnt match when we have shown the willingness and ability to bump everyone’s comp plus the 9 figures we are pumping into the program.

I have a hunch this has more to do with Sterling needing something else on offense

Also, maybe Lustig wants to become an OC as his next step and since he was just passed over (like Standard last year) he felt his upward mobility here was limited.

Anyways, lots of theories but I just doubt we wouldn't match Vandy if that is all it took

I don't find it difficult to believe Vandy could/would out-spend SU on assistant coaches' salary.

They have a lot of cash (not just SEC money).

Also, define "match Vandy."

Even if SU matched salary Lustig would still make significantly more moving out of NY (no income tax in TN).

I know Lustig is really well respected as a ST coach but perhaps we weren’t getting enough out of WR and Recruiting to justify keeping increasing his price tag?

I find it hard to believe Vandy made an offer we couldnt match when we have shown the willingness and ability to bump everyone’s comp plus the 9 figures we are pumping into the program.

I have a hunch this has more to do with Sterling needing something else on offense

Also, maybe Lustig wants to become an OC as his next step and since he was just passed over (like Standard last year) he felt his upward mobility here was limited.

Anyways, lots of theories but I just doubt we wouldn't match Vandy if that is all it took

With the impact of COVID in 2020, it's possible that SU wasn't willing to match whatever Vandy offered but I agree that it was about more than just more money and all of your theories seem very likely.

Tough to lose him but congrats to him. SEC, likely more money and more stable going into a new staff. This is a no brainer for him to do and as Money said could open more doors for him. Good luck coach.

God please dont bring back Martin or anyone without strong east coast recruiting chops. Im actually expecting some grad assistant from AZ or Tx

I think you already just kinda debunked your own statement.
This is a big loss. It amazes me that the orange fans dont realize that we need great coaching in order to COACH UP 2 and 3 star recruits. It is the only way we can hope to be competitive. Losing a great coach hurts us more than teams that recruit well. This is a huge loss.

I think we will very much miss him as ST coach, but if there are other reasons, then this is perhaps an opportunity. Hey, if we are going to bolster our recruiting chops, let's get that NJ connection so many have been craving! If they can hit NYC, PA, and/or DelMarVa, too, all the better.

I knew they would come eventually, posts that losing Lustig would be the equivalent of the Patriots losing Bill Belichick. ( i did acknowledge that he is a very good assistant coach)

Considering that three DBs are about to be drafted and he's our best recruiter, I'm going with Monroe. That being said, Lustig is a really good coach, so hopefully we can find a good replacement. I know this is highly unlikely, but wasn't Acosta a WR coach and NJ recruiting ace?

I don't find it difficult to believe Vandy could/would out-spend SU on assistant coaches' salary.

They have a lot of cash (not just SEC money).

Also, define "match Vandy."

Even if SU matched salary Lustig would still make significantly more moving out of NY (no income tax in TN).
We matched the last SEC school who poached our coach and they spend a lot more than Vandy. (We still didn't retain said coach)

West, White, Achuff, Ferri and Gilbert.

look Lustig is a good coach but the best assistant is ridiculous. Outside wide receivers are arguably the 2nd worst player development spot on the team.
Lets just agree to disagree.

You would think that since they play half the season’s games in a dome, it shouldn’t require a lot of the coaching budget to return an average ST unit.
Better than average is obviously nice but when there’s a finite number of dollars, you have to pick and choose.

Lustig is a huge loss. No doubt. But obviously having stellar special teams is not the sole key to success ...and that's not even close.

Get someone who can bolster the interior of the offensive line and can at least adequately coach special teams

No doubt we're gonna miss Lustig. Great Special Team Coordinator. But coaches always leave. We're not going to hire a better STC, but maybe we'll get someone with Jersey ties to better recruitment there, or maybe someone who can develop depth at the outside receiver position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom