Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy

At first glance I thought they had coached together at Syracuse but they just missed each other. Is there another connection that I am missing?
Coincidence our and Lea's last game were against each other? I'm betting he was impressed with our Special teams when we played against ND in the last game of the season. Believe that was the game when the announcers were singing Lustigs' praises, stating that other teams have tried to pry him from SU. Bet Lea watched the game afterwards and may have brought it to his attention.
Wouldn't be shocked if Nykeim now ends up at Vandy, too.

After some research on the current staff it looks like seniority wise Monroe has been with Dino for 10 years all the time as a secondary coach and Lynch has been with Dino around 10 years and has served as COC/ RB/ OL. as per Lustig he came on board in 2017 and in his 4 years here he served as STC/Outside Rec. and AHC to me that shows Dino really felt very strong about Lustig's coaching abilities and he did a damn good job the 4 years he was here and taking the Vandy job was a no brainer for many reasons. Now we will find out how Dino realigns his staff ,the most interesting promotion will be who gets the title of ( AHC ) ? I might take a guess and say Tony White ? As for the new hire to fill whatever position becomes available I would like to see us bring in a young proven recruiter with some strong ties in the NJ area.

West, White, Achuff, Ferri and Gilbert.

look Lustig is a good coach but the best assistant is ridiculous. Outside wide receivers are arguably the 2nd worst player development spot on the team.
Our receivers do drop a ton of passes, usually on 3rd down when a catch would move the sticks. Taj Harris, our best receiver, is a culprit. His numbers would have been even better if he didn't drop so many.

Our receivers do drop a ton of passes, usually on 3rd down when a catch would move the sticks. Taj Harris, our best receiver, is a culprit. His numbers would have been even better if he didn't drop so many.
Maybe Lustig was sick of dealing w/ Taj (only half-joking).

Dino gave him the Assistant HC last year to keep him so must really like him and the special teams were great under him.

But the WR’s haven’t been lighting it up with him. I’d trade a good tri-state recruiter that can coach WR’s over good special teams.

Who has he brought in recruiting wise?

After some research on the current staff it looks like seniority wise Monroe has been with Dino for 10 years all the time as a secondary coach and Lynch has been with Dino around 10 years and has served as COC/ RB/ OL. as per Lustig he came on board in 2017 and in his 4 years here he served as STC/Outside Rec. and AHC to me that shows Dino really felt very strong about Lustig's coaching abilities and he did a damn good job the 4 years he was here and taking the Vandy job was a no brainer for many reasons. Now we will find out how Dino realigns his staff ,the most interesting promotion will be who gets the title of ( AHC ) ? I might take a guess and say Tony White ? As for the new hire to fill whatever position becomes available I would like to see us bring in a young proven recruiter with some strong ties in the NJ area.
If DFB has any doubts about Cavanaugh I’d say bring in the OL guy (Mattox?) that Gilbert has worked with and then get a WR coach that can recruit.

We matched the last SEC school who poached our coach and they spend a lot more than Vandy. (We still didn't retain said coach)

You comparing the guy who left after 11 days as DC to the decision Lustig just made?

That guy who chose to take the same position in Starkville with a brand new HC over a fourth year coach who just flushed both coordinators?

Apples & oranges my friend.

All that aside, it still doesn’t mean Vandy didn’t offer Lustig a significant salary bump by virtue of relocating.

Vanderbilt is a very wealthy school in a desirable location. Leaving SU to join a new staff at Vandy was likely not a difficult decision for Lustig even if they offered no salary bump.

Good for him. Wish him all the best when he’s not competing against SU.

Happy New Year!

Special teams were great but I’d take a mediocre ST unit to get a wide receiver corps that catches passes consistently. I don’t know anything about Lustig so maybe wide receiver issues were out of his control to address?

You would think that since they play half the season’s games in a dome, it shouldn’t require a lot of the coaching budget to return an average ST unit.
Better than average is obviously nice but when there’s a finite number of dollars, you have to pick and choose.
Who wants average when we have been among the best in the country?

Special teams were great but I’d take a mediocre ST unit to get a wide receiver corps that catches passes consistently. I don’t know anything about Lustig so maybe wide receiver issues were out of his control to address?
He had outside receivers. He did a good job was was a top 5-10 ST coach. You say you wants mediocre st unit for a good WR Corp until you lose a game and miss a bowl over a missed FG or a blown coverage on a return for a TD

Who wants average when we have been among the best in the country?
People that think ST and the WR are mutually exclusive

If you give almost any football enthusiast the choice of excellent special teams and average WR play or average special teams and excellent WR play, they’re all picking the same thing.

Yes ST is big, but having reliable consistent WR play is much more important to having a winning record.

And happy new year everyone!

Happy 2020. That sucks.
Although this opens a spot for a good young WR coach who can hopefully upgrade the unit.
It's great to have a top tier ST unit but it's more important to have smart WRs who can hold on to the ball.
maybe get a top recruiter????

Some of you are putting way too much stock into Wr coach. You can have stud receivers and a average Wr coach and you can have a great WR coach but average Wr play. They are important for development of fundamentals and all but special teams can win or lose games. No one seems to notice specs until there's a big play but specs are important throughout the game. Whether its field position , protection etc...

Some of you are putting way too much stock into Wr coach. You can have stud receivers and a average Wr coach and you can have a great WR coach but average Wr play. They are important for development of fundamentals and all but special teams can win or lose games. No one seems to notice specs until there's a big play but specs are important throughout the game. Whether its field position , protection etc...
Agree. One third of the game.

Ok you convinced me. How about a good special teams coach with deep tri-state ties and is a great recruiter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom