Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Justin Lustig to Vandy

I know Lustig is really well respected as a ST coach but perhaps we weren’t getting enough out of WR and Recruiting to justify keeping increasing his price tag?

I find it hard to believe Vandy made an offer we couldnt match when we have shown the willingness and ability to bump everyone’s comp plus the 9 figures we are pumping into the program.

I have a hunch this has more to do with Sterling needing something else on offense

Also, maybe Lustig wants to become an OC as his next step and since he was just passed over (like Standard last year) he felt his upward mobility here was limited.

Anyways, lots of theories but I just doubt we wouldn't match Vandy if that is all it took
If Babers let Stirling engineer Lustig's departure i would be shocked. Lustig headed to the SEC for more money is a great career move. Wish him luck.

Tough loss for ST, opportunity to upgrade a position that’s lagging at WR

If Babers let Stirling engineer Lustig's departure i would be shocked. Lustig headed to the SEC for more money is a great career move. Wish him luck.
Woah, you put more than a few words in my mouth Crusty. I never said it was engineered by anyone, and I also never said we didn’t think he was a good coach. All I am saying is there could be several reasonable alternatives outside of “well we can‘t/won’t afford to keep coaching talent”. We have shown both a willingness and ability to spend money where we have felt there would be a good return, including increasing/matching salary offers for coaches.

I think we would have loved to keep him but in the overall budget, my bet is they saw other uses for those extra dollars, not that those extra dollars don’t exist.

And of course I wish him the best. He was a great coach for us and by all accounts a great member of the orange family. Not sure why would you imply I would think otherwise?

Woah, you put more than a few words in my mouth Crusty. I never said it was engineered by anyone, and I also never said we didn’t think he was a good coach. All I am saying is there could be several reasonable alternatives outside of “well we can‘t/won’t afford to keep coaching talent”. We have shown both a willingness and ability to spend money where we have felt there would be a good return, including increasing/matching salary offers for coaches.

I think we would have loved to keep him but in the overall budget, my bet is they saw other uses for those extra dollars, not that those extra dollars don’t exist.

And of course I wish him the best. He was a great coach for us and by all accounts a great member of the orange family. Not sure why would you imply I would think otherwise?
Reasonable take.

- Wisconsins Dline coach just left to coach the same position at Vandy.
- Louisville RB coach just left to coach same position at Vandy

Assistant coaches move around. Oh. And living in Nashville >>>>>>>>>> living in Syracuse.

I am not sure anyone in this thread knows specifically how things went down. I do know for a fact that the AD has found the money when needed. See Dino extension. So why must it be that the AD and Dino didn't do anything? How about when a new SEC coach came calling, to play against the best every week and with likely a nice annual increase in salary and at least 4 years of job security that our coach simply said I am in?

With Lustig now gone I wonder who will get the title of ( AHC ) any suggestions ?

I bet our special teams will be just fine.
So you think coaching has nothing to do with it. SWC’s stats every week shows how important ST are. Field position is huge, if this costs us half a game a year due to losing him that adds up a ton

I bet our special teams will be just fine.
I like what Lustig did with ST. Part of that was having kickers and punters who excelled. I’m sure a lot of it was coaching. But some of it was a willingness to put first team guys in key roles on ST. For a while, we seemed to want to save our best offensive and defensive players from the risk of potential injury at ST. I think that lead to a lot of struggles. Our depth is not great enough to be able to do that. And I think all players today know that if they ever want a shot at the NFL, the ability to contribute in other ways may make the difference between sticking and getting cut.

Interesting to note Lustig has AHC at Vandy also. Good for him. I will be keeping an eye on Vandy moving forward to see how they do. Coach Lea used to handwrite notes to players. He is going to need a new pen as HC. Good luck to them both.

I like what Lustig did with ST. Part of that was having kickers and punters who excelled. I’m sure a lot of it was coaching. But some of it was a willingness to put first team guys in key roles on ST. For a while, we seemed to want to save our best offensive and defensive players from the risk of potential injury at ST. I think that lead to a lot of struggles. Our depth is not great enough to be able to do that. And I think all players today know that if they ever want a shot at the NFL, the ability to contribute in other ways may make the difference between sticking and getting cut.

totally agree.

Syracuse has a long history of being very good at special teams, so Lustig was nothing new. It certainly starts with good kickers. Like bringing in a walkon who turns out to be an All American. You have to have good long snappers to. But also, you can't be afraid to put your best athletes on the teams. Coach P started this trend a million years ago putting starters on the ST units, particularly in coverage. Whatever secret sauce Lustig brought to the table - that was different from what any other coach would do - is certainly not leaving with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom