Justin was there for the game winner | Syracusefan.com

Justin was there for the game winner

This is a definitely an area where Judah can improve. He has the moves to get deep into the paint, but too often he tries to push through the double team and he's not strong enough to take the contact or bails off to the side (and to the floor). If he could learn to recognize his options in that situation and pass to an open shooter or dump off to his post players, it would be a huge improvement. It's not something that will work every time, but convert a couple of turnovers or empty possessions into 5-7 points and that's a winning score margin.

and its the real reason why Judah if he jumps to the NBA is gonna struggle.. the players are bigger/better and games like last night are gonna be more often until he can play more under control and make some jumpers with consistency.
I don’t know if he’ll go or not. If he does declare, he will be the most ill prepared entrant from SU I can ever remember. He struggles mightily with college guards of any strength. Good luck against man strength

Joe was taken away. We all know what happened but JTaylor was by himself behind the line…….and he would have buried it.
I’m going to try and sleep now.

It wasnt just Judah and not just that play. There were plays where Bell was sitting wide open and others didn't pass the ball (but we got points at the rim, so c'est la vie).

We actually have guys open sitting on the perimeter a lot. Eyes just have to be open for them.

It wasnt just Judah and not just that play. There were plays where Bell was sitting wide open and others didn't pass the ball (but we got points at the rim, so c'est la vie).

We actually have guys open sitting on the perimeter a lot. Eyes just have to be open for them.
Judahs biggest problem in my eyes. Definitely his biggest opportunity for improvement.

I don't know much about high school and aau basketball but anyone playing pg here should also play pg in high school and aau. If a good scorer needs to be on the wing to avoid getting locked up in high school, what are we doing playing them there a year later here?

It's the biggest problem with the zone. The height we need to defend leaves us without ball handling on offense. We keep hoping to find a tall combo guard who can learn to shoot and play point guard. Unicorns. Biggest reason why I hope the zone goes when boeheim goes, zone hurts our offense

Last edited:
He’s not an nba player, now or in the near future.

he’s doesn’t have a single league level talent.

Joe was taken away. We all know what happened but JTaylor was by himself behind the line…….and he would have buried it.
I’m going to try and sleep now.

I watched it over after reading your post. Justin wasn’t really open when Judah would have been able to make a pass to him. When Justin’s man left him and went towards the lane, Judah was surrounded and wouldn’t have been able to make that pass.

THIS! When Judah drives the defense collapses on him and our wings are left with significant space to get a much much better shot. He’s got to make that pass. This isn’t even giving up a good shot for a better shot more often than not it’s giving up an awful shot for a better shot

JB needs to have the hero ball eye to eye conversation with Judah, and then we move on. If not the players might have to.
Seriously? Who's going to have this conversation with him and how's it going to go?

Joe: "Stop with the hero ball shots. I've been doing it for 3+ years now, and it's me who takes them."
JB: "Stop with the hero ball stuff like Buddy did for the last 4 years..."

I disdain what SU's offense has become over the last few years. I'd agree with the poster above about PGs having a point guard background. They got lucky with MCW and the ability of MGB to become a PG, but
they really need to find true PGs to bring in, regardless of their size and how they fit in the zone. A short
quick jitterbug PG can be hidden in the zone - I mean, they've been doing it or trying to with Girard for
years - but they need to offensive flow.

Kev

and its the real reason why Judah if he jumps to the NBA is gonna struggle.. the players are bigger/better and games like last night are gonna be more often until he can play more under control and make some jumpers with consistency.
+1 on your point regarding developing a jump shot.
As important as comments about learning to distribute the ball IMO.
To excel at PG, need to be multi-threat.

Figured that screen shots would help this discussion.

Couple of things:
1) No shot clock, ~17 seconds left when Judah set up at the 3 pt line.

2) Girard runs a loop through the paint, drags his man out of the arc and is basically absent from the rest of the play.

3) Benny is absent from the play

4) Jesse calls for a pass, and flashes to the basket, but that would require Judah to throw an alley oop over two defenders, which is a bad idea considering the size differential.

5) Bees is right that Justin isn't in position for Judah to make a pass when he gets into trouble, no one else is either.

6) Judah dribbles into a double-team and then slows down which pulls a third defender into him. Instead of, best case, kicking out to what should be an open Joe or Justin, or basic offense to pull back, reset and try to get an open jumper with 12 seconds, it's game-ending turnover.

7) This is what infuriates me about JAB's offensive philosophy about ISO basketball and deferring to his skill players making plays. Judah puts himself in a bad position, no one is in the right spot to help him, and with nearly 18 seconds to operate, they use 5 seconds with 1-on-3 game-ending TO. No passes, no purposeful movement, just pure pick-up ball ISO. Just looking at the stills, Benny could move to the foul line as Jesse flashes to the post. He'd be going directly to where Judah is looking, and he could wipe his man off on Jesse and be open for a jumper. It's easier in hindsight, but that doesn't change the fact that there is zero plan here other than Judah trying to get a layup and no plan B.

1673969665166.png

1673969473966.png

1673969241430.png

Couple of things:

2) Girard runs a loop through the paint, drags his man out of the arc and is basically absent from the rest of the play.

4) Jesse calls for a pass, and flashes to the basket, but that would require Judah to throw an alley oop over two defenders, which is a bad idea considering the size differential.

5) Bees is right that Justin isn't in position for Judah to make a pass when he gets into trouble, no one else is either.

6) Judah dribbles into a double-team and then slows down which pulls a third defender into him. Instead of, best case, kicking out to what should be an open Joe or Justin, or basic offense to pull back, reset and try to get an open jumper with 12 seconds, it's game-ending turnover.

7) This is what infuriates me about JAB's offensive philosophy about ISO basketball and deferring to his skill players making plays. Judah puts himself in a bad position, no one is in the right spot to help him, and with nearly 18 seconds to operate, they use 5 seconds with 1-on-3 game-ending TO. No passes, no purposeful movement, just pure pick-up ball ISO. Just looking at the stills, Benny could move to the foul line as Jesse flashes to the post. He'd be going directly to where Judah is looking, and he could wipe his man off on Jesse and be open for a jumper. It's easier in hindsight, but that doesn't change the fact that there is zero plan here other than Judah trying to get a layup and no plan B.

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218
Plan B was to reset, as it always is. The answer is never to dribble into a double team

I don't know much about high school and aau basketball but anyone playing pg here should also play pg in high school and aau. If a good scorer needs to be on the wing to avoid getting locked up in high school, what are we doing playing them there a year later here?

It's the biggest problem with the zine. The height we need to defend leaves us without ball handling on offense. We keep hoping to find a tall combo guard who can learn to shoot and play point guard. Unicorns. Biggest reason why I hope the zone goes when boeheim goes, zone hurts our offense
Silent G says hello.
Copeland could be the answer if he takes a chill pill.
Mintz at crunch time is a disaster. He is not strong with the ball and does not react to the defense. I miss our old big strong points like Waiters.

Couple of things:

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218

View attachment 224217
Benny and Jesse were setting screens for Girard and as soon as girard came around the screen, Mintz didn't feel like he was open enough and dribbled wildly into a double team with with 15 seconds left

Mintz panicked because he was melting down. I think Girard had the guy on his back enough to draw a foul putting up a 3 but ok Mintz thought it was too risky, fine. From there, we have no idea what else they could've done because he went 1-3 head down with 15 sec left

but it only looked like iso ball because Mintz didn't know what he was doing. Torrence would've known

Silent G says hello.
Copeland could be the answer if he takes a chill pill.
Mintz at crunch time is a disaster. He is not strong with the ball and does not react to the defense. I miss our old big strong points like Waiters.
Gbinje is like 38 now and probably wouldn't have been the answer as a freshman

Couple of things:

View attachment 224220

View attachment 224218

View attachment 224217
I'd like to see the still shot around 15.5s

Benny and Jesse were setting screens for Girard and as soon as girard came around the screen, Mintz didn't feel like he was open enough and dribbled wildly into a double team with with 15 seconds left. Mintz panicked because he was melting down. I think Girard had the guy on his back enough to draw a foul putting up a 3 but ok Mintz thought it was too risky, fine.
Correct that it was double screen for Joe, but it was executed horribly. There's zero chance Joe gets a quality shot off here.

1673972340500.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom