Juxtapose the flagrant against Mintz with a comparable play from Duke / VT the previous night | Syracusefan.com

Juxtapose the flagrant against Mintz with a comparable play from Duke / VT the previous night

RF2044

Living Legend
In the Duke / VT game, a VT player scored and then pumped his fist in a celebratory fashion as he turned to run back upcourt, but in doing so blasted a Duke player [Filipowski] in the throat / chin. Full contact. Game stopped, Filipowski went to the bench with a bloody nose, and the refs reviewed.

Refs ended up not only NOT calling a flagrant, but they didn't even call a personal foul on the VT player. Zero penalties / consequences applied for a punch to the face -- admittedly, an inadvertent one, but still.

But we get the shaft. On a night when the refs also "called" a free throw disparity of 23 - 3 in favor or UNC, when we dominated them in terms of points in the paint, playing on our home floor.

Frustrating.

It's definitely inconsistent. Again my main problem is what the hell are we doing in these close games late? It's brutal most of the time.

Yeah, but in fairness that LSU player deserved it.

And in fairness, Riley didn’t actually make any contact with said LSU player with the punch

… who then reacted like he’d been coldcocked.

1674663799502.gif

It's definitely inconsistent. Again my main problem is what the hell are we doing in these close games late? It's brutal most of the time.
Yeah, every basketball game has a ton of borderline calls, bad calls, inconsistent calls, etc. It's not "ACC bias", it's just poor officiating quality. It sucks but it's been part of the game since I began watching a million years ago.

However, we lost that game, it wasn't stolen. How many empty possessions did we have in the last few minutes? How about grabbing a rebound on a missed FT? Or not having your PG race at breakneck speed to the rim with 15 seconds left?

I fully agree with your post and the inconsistent officiating. Just miserable after last night and another L in a big game at the Dome. It feels like it's been years since we have won an important game with fans in the stands at home.

After the rewatch ( why I can't explain), it was pretty bad. 2 of Jesse's fouls occurred on contact that was equivalent to contact by UNC on the other end but not called on several plays around the rim. At a minimum the refs owed us 4 FTs on those plays.

The and 1 charge call cost us 3 pts. Two missed and 1s on Judah buckets were missed- that's now up to 9 pts.

I'm not pointing out the FTs UNC shot because the point isn't they made those calls, it was they made them one way.

The final three calls that sealed it were the in and out Jumper by Judah when we were up two which the defender hit his arm, the obvious shove from behind by Bacot into Hima on the FT rebound that Joe saved( this has been an emphasis to be called in recent years so not calling it is a big issue) and then the flagrant ( which yes was a charge but flagrant it was not- watch the WVU game from the sweet 16 run where Jesse is called for a foul- Judah was driving the other guy was moving but it's the same concept).

We are talking double digit points there in a game where analytics separate these two teams by a few points.

We have to be better but we aren't good enough to overcome all of that right now. We shouldn't have to but because of how the quality of officiating has regressed in really all sports, you must be good enough to overcome that as well and work it into your game plan. It's not a mystery anymore how so many calls and crews dictate segments of games. Have to adjust.

You watch the current top programs over the past decade and you can see how many coaches will test the officiating and adjust. Nova won two titles playing their foul happy defense until its called then adjust. It's just part of the game now much like adjusting to defending the 3pt line better and not allowing for open set shots.

Last edited:
In the Duke / VT game, a VT player scored and then pumped his fist in a celebratory fashion as he turned to run back upcourt, but in doing so blasted a Duke player [Filipowski] in the throat / chin. Full contact. Game stopped, Filipowski went to the bench with a bloody nose, and the refs reviewed.

Refs ended up not only NOT calling a flagrant, but they didn't even call a personal foul on the VT player. Zero penalties / consequences applied for a punch to the face -- admittedly, an inadvertent one, but still.
Frustrating.
I think it was a no call because Filipowski faked the head flop.

But we get the shaft. On a night when the refs also "called" a free throw disparity of 23 - 3 in favor or UNC, when we dominated them in terms of points in the paint, playing on our home floor.

Frustrating.

A round house closed fist celebration punch is not avoidable lol

Yeah, every basketball game has a ton of borderline calls, bad calls, inconsistent calls, etc. It's not "ACC bias", it's just poor officiating quality. It sucks but it's been part of the game since I began watching a million years ago.

However, we lost that game, it wasn't stolen. How many empty possessions did we have in the last few minutes? How about grabbing a rebound on a missed FT? Or not having your PG race at breakneck speed to the rim with 15 seconds left?
Conversely it would be interesting how relevant those mistakes would have been if the free throw disparity wasn’t 23 attempts to just 3 for SU? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a game, less a highly competitive game like this one, where one team only had 3 foul shots an entire game less the opponent having 7+ times their opponent’s free throw attempts.

Conversely it would be interesting how relevant those mistakes would have been if the free throw disparity wasn’t 23 attempts to just 3 for SU? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a game, less a highly competitive game like this one, where one team only had 3 foul shots an entire game.

Especially one in which there were 34 total 3pt shots taken and the two top true post players in the conference playing.

Generally speaking as well there is usually at minimum a balance at home if not a slight edge.

At one point in the first half the fouls were 5 to 1 UNC having more and it was like a switch went off. We were more aggressive inside but still not getting the calls but since it wasn't being called the other way it wasn't a huge concern , plus they were lights out from 3 early.

After that point the fouls went 16-6 and there were two different games being played in the halfcourt in terms of how it was called. It was bizarre even with our period of time shooting jumpers. That had to increase once the way they called it put Jesse on the bench.

All true except it also matters when poor officiating occurs.
There seems little question that Bacot did push Hima on Nance's missed foul shot.
That was not a ticky-tack meaningless play-on non-call.

Conversely it would be interesting how relevant those mistakes would have been if the free throw disparity wasn’t 23 attempts to just 3 for SU? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a game, less a highly competitive game like this one, where one team only had 3 foul shots an entire game less the opponent having almost 7 times their opponent’s free throw attempts.
Exactly. It's like context and nuance are irrelevant.

Bad plays by SU players or coaching decisions (of which there are many) are beaten to death, while with bad calls - the specifics are rarely discussed - it's "who cares?!?! Play better!!! Oh gee golly, stuff happens!".

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a game, less a highly competitive game like this one, where one team only had 3 foul shots an entire game less the opponent having almost 7 times their opponent’s free throw attempts.
So I had a few spare minutes and an idea based on this. These are only quick looks based on the BBRef's play index, but I searched for games by these teams where they had more than 15 FTAs and the opponent had fewer than 10 FTA. It's quick and dirty and only goes back to 2010-11:

Duke
55 games, 52-3 (the three losses were by a combined 8 points against UVAx2 and Kansas).
The biggest conference game gap was 17 (GaTech[4 FTAs] @ Duke[22 FTAs]) in 2021. Duke won that game.
They had six games where they had more than 20 FTAs and their opponent had fewer than 5 FTAs.

UNC
62 games, 58-4 (the four losses were non-conference teams on the road, Illinois, Michigan, and Tenn plus Wofford at UNC).
The biggest conference game gap was 20 (last night).
They had four games where they had more than 20 FTAs and their opponent had fewer than 5 FTAs.

Syracuse (this is all games to 2010-11, not just ACC games)
63 games, 55-8 (8 losses were all since 2014 and against a mix of good P5 teams except for the 25-0 BC debacle where SU had +14 FTAs, but still lost in OT).
The biggest conference game gap was 19 (21 to 2 @Louisville in 2016). The biggest gap for SU is 28 (32 to 4) against Colgate in 2012 when we used to dismantle them on the regular.
SU has had six games where they had more than 20 FTAs and their opponent had fewer than 5 FTAs. Three were Colgate, the others were @Louisville, UVA, and USF

UVA
51 games, 47-4 (the four losses were VT, Clemson and then Navy and San Francisco).
The biggest conference game gap was 20 (against BC in 2020).
UVA has had just one game where they had more than 20 FTAs and their opponent had fewer than 5 FTAs.

And for a non-ACC team:
Kansas
39 games, 36-3 (two losses were NCAAT games against Oregon and Nova, and then the third was a November game against Tenn).
The biggest conference game gap was (LOL) 33 against WV in 2018 (35 to 2) which they won by 8.
They had five games where they had more than 20 FTAs and their opponent had fewer than 5 FTAs.

Jesse and Judah don't get calls because they finish moves like the Scarecrow being freed from his post in the Wizard of Oz.
Keep your feet, hold your position and attack the rim ... whistles will follow.

Jesse and Judah don't get calls because they finish moves like the Scarecrow being freed from his post in the Wizard of Oz.
Keep your feet, hold your position and attack the rim ... whistles will follow.
Excellent simile!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom