Kauai | Syracusefan.com

Kauai

Guy Fawkes

2023-24 Iggy Winner NCAA Record
Heading to Kauai in March for seven days. Already booked a split hotel & airbnb.

Has anyone ever gone? Any recommendations on food, or activities? Must do's, hidden gems, pros & cons?

I got nothing on Kauai (I'm Big Island specific), I hope to change that in the near future though.

Honeymoon was there.

Princeville for a cocktail, then over to a local restaurant on one of the north shore beaches one night

The helicopter is amazing, I'd do it first day, only way to actually see the island

Kauai, best place I have ever been.

We tried to pack too much to do in Kauai and ended up spending too much time in the car. It's so beautiful there though. I'd go back to do it right. We stayed up on the north shore and it was fantastic up there.

Big Island...

I live N Shore on Oahu. Go see the volcano, green sand and black sand beaches on Hawaii...

Some more folks with HI and Kauai info.

I'll reiterate what I said there. We were only there for a few days and we ended up spending far too much time driving.

We did the hike on the Na Pali Coast on the Kalalau Trail. It was grueling but beautiful. We didn't do the whole thing, just from the trailhead in Haena State Park to the Hanakoa Falls. It was a great day.

We stayed in a VRBO house up in Princeville. It was nice, had it's own pool and was in a neighborhood so the wife and I could do some running. There was even a basketball court nearby and the house had a ball so my son and I had some epic games there. I really liked Hanalei. Ate at Tahiti Nui, which was great. Tahiti Nui Hanalei Restaurant

We did some hiking in Waimea Canyon State Park, which is a haul from Princeville and that's where my planning failed. Its a great hike when you can see, but it's subject to getting cloudy because of the elevation. We still had a great time bouncing around in the red clay. Waimea Canyon on Kauai | Hawaii.com

I'll try to remember other places we ate and post more later.

Heading to Kauai in March for seven days. Already booked a split hotel & airbnb.

Has anyone ever gone? Any recommendations on food, or activities? Must do's, hidden gems, pros & cons?

We were there in '98 - so 20 years ago.

We stayed at the Hyatt. Loved it.

We are going back this summer and I will look at both the Hyatt and the Princeville. Princeville is supposed to be very nice but, if I remember correctly, the weather is a bit sketchier on that side of the island. More pop-up showers.

Helicopter ride is a must do. The Juarassic park falls are wondrous.

We don't hike so cannot comment on hiking trails.

I cannot remember the names of any of the restaurants. Who knows if they still exist. Hyatt food was good but we ate dinner off the grounds most nights. There were some really good restaurants.

Kauai is quieter than Maui (at least it was 20 years ago) and there is less to see than on the Big Island.

I think of Kauai as a place to go to relax.

One other thing, if I remember correctly, Princeville much more isolated relative to Hyatt...as far as restaurants etc...

Last edited:
Just grabbed the Ultimate Kauai Guide Guidebook from my bookshelf. This was one of the books we bought (kind of our pre-trip thing) to get some inside info.

For food, we ate one night at the Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant. Okay, nothing outstanding there. We hit the Village Snack Shop & Bakery for breakfast a couple times. Food was good, coffee not so much, but I walked across the street to get better coffee at the Hanalei Bread Company.

As far as beaches, waves were pretty big at Secret Beach. That's a fun one, but did see a couple folks au naturel so keep that in mind if traveling with kids. We did both Tunnels and Ke'e'. Snorkeling was okay at both if I recall.

The St. Regis there is definitely worth the money. Awesome breakfast, cleanest place I have ever stayed, and the beach front is spectacular! The weather is supposed to be more sporadic in the North, but we stayed in the north and the south and had better weather up north so I think it is a crap shoot anyways.

Helicopter ride is a must, we did a solo one, but it was a little too long. About an hour is more than enough in my opinion. There are some group ones that land and go to the Jurassic Park spot, heard that is pretty cool. Both my wife and I almost got sick by the end of it because they are going in and out of the coast line.

Waterfalls and hikes are a real attraction obviously. If you're not into hiking you can drive to the top of the one mountain there and take pictures / walk around etc.

I didn't golf, but would love to try next time we go. Really, the trip goes so fast, just enjoy yourself and don't put too much on the schedule.

If you drive to the north towards princeville, there is this great road that almost reminds me of the road they show in the Masters commercials on CBS. There are a ton of areas that you can just pull over and check out sites. It really is the most beautiful place in the world.

Traffic is tough through the main areas, we did the sports car thing for a rental but could never really go over 50 anywhere haha. Sunscreen! I was so burnt laying out in the sun for like 2 hours.

Food:

Tidepools at the Hyatt is great. The crabcake (not a huge fan, but loved these ones) and the lava cake are well worth it.

Somebody there will probably recommend Beach House Restaurant, we found it kind of touristy / not really worth the price. Calamari was weird there. They do have people there to take your picture and what not, very nice looking place, but I wouldn't go back.

Ask a local what's their favorite spot, I can't remember the name but it was like a local pub that we went to that was great. It was near some local shops.

We did a luau, figured we had to while we were there. I think it was at the Hyatt?? It was good, pretty entertaining and met some people. Went on stage and danced with some people.

I had a local beer there, but can't remember what it was. Not bad though.

Have fun, super jealous!

Went to Oahu and Maui last year (1st time to Hawaii) at this time (sorry not Kauai but would love to go their another time). Had a great time!

The best part was taking a catamaran to see the humpback whales, and we saw a lot!

“Really, the trip goes so fast, just enjoy yourself and don't put too much on the schedule”

Earlier quote and I agree...it’s been said over and over but here’s where you do the helicopter ride and do it early in the trip the. You can relax

Just noticed this thread, so hopefully you haven't left already.

I have been to Kauai many, many times going back to my honeymoon in the early 80's. We presently have a timeshare and have traded into Kauai the last three years and we will be going again in the fall.

Big question is where are you staying on the island ? Our last visits we have stayed in poipu. Have also stayed in princeville less recently.

If staying in poipu, here are some favorites:

Dining for great seafood - Keoki's (fabulous hula pies) and Gaylords (best ahi and i am very fussy about ahi). Also, excellent Luau at Gaylords.

Activities - I love Captain Andy dinner cruise. leaves from the south part of Kauai and goes around to Napili. real dinner, not just snacks or buffett food.

Hiking - There are beautiful lava cliffs to hike just past Shipwreck beach.

Beaches for swimming - Poipu Beach or if you like it a bit rougher there is a public beach just past the Sheraton.

Near Kapaa there is an old Hawaiin Village to go through right near the falls.

Don't miss Lapperts for ice cream.

Enjoy !!!

Thank you all for the feedback.

Leaving Tuesday. Staying in Poipu (Hotel then airBnB) for the entire trip. I'll be sure to leave a trip overview. I hope we can make it to a lot of your favorites and they become our favorites. If any of you come to San Diego then let me know and I'll buy you a beer/wine/ginger-ale.

Leaving Tuesday. Staying in Poipu (Hotel then airBnB) for the entire trip. I'll be sure to leave a trip overview. I hope we can make it to a lot of your favorites and they become our favorites. If any of you come to San Diego then let me know and I'll buy you a beer/wine/ginger-ale.
forgot to add, i have not been this time of year, so i do not know if you will see the same, but on poipu beach, particularly in the am, you may be able to see monk seals (endangered) and also sea turtles right on the beach. i think you will also be there in whale watching season, which we always miss because we go late spring or early fall.

you should see dolphins on the capt andy cruise. one year we even fortunate to see a straggling hunchback whale.

also kalapacki joes for bar food and march madness, time zones permitting !!!

Last edited:
Right this is primarily why I said the helicopter ride is worth it

Prob only place on earth I'd do it
heli ride on kauai is second to the big island heli ride over volcanos.

Need a trip report from you, I believe.