Keep Clemson to field goals | Syracusefan.com

Keep Clemson to field goals

cali315phan

Starter
Shipley is going to be a matchup nightmare for our D, there's no way around it. Good chance he runs for 150+ if they go even remotely run heavy. One of the saving graces yesterday was holding NC St to field goals, obviously. Clemson will get chunk plays. They'll get their yards. If we can dig in and hold them to field goals, we have a chance. We'll be lucky to have any short defensive possessions. If our D can bend without breaking, we've got a fighting chance. LFGO!!!!

Shipley’s scary. I watched that dude last night and he’s scary. Boy’s movin’ when he hits top gear.

We’re winning this damn game. Clemson is stout but they are very beatable. Hope our injured guys from last night are all available. Clemson has given up plenty of points against Wake, FSU, and NC State that shows we should be able to score. DJ has been very good this year but he’s still a lesser QB than they’ve had the last decade. Maybe I’m still riding the high from the Dome last night, but I like our chances. Never understand the opinion that this game is just gravy. We’re unbeaten and top 15, let’s win this one.

We aren’t going to hold Clemson to just fg’s on the road. Thats less than a pipe dream
Then we might as well say we're going to lose. Because they can run it down the field with impunity against us.

Way I see it, Clemson is really tough at home, but for whatever reason we always seem to play them tough, so who knows what happens Saturday. I feel confident that our coaching staff will have some good ideas on how to attack them and put in a good game plan, and I'm confident in the players to execute it. Even at that, against top teams like that, it might not be enough.

But... Clemson has to do it too. They can't just show up and win. I think the early start helps us a lot and weird things can happen on the football field. Enough things break our way and we can win this one.

And if we do, then things get really interesting. We're solidly in the playoff conversation at that point. We'd have a lot of work left to do because I think we'd need to have a perfect season to get there, but we keep getting tested and we keep passing tests.

We are giving up 95 yards/game in rushing and 269 yards/g. Total! Are you telling me he's going to get almost double what we normally give up and more than half of the total we've been giving up per game? I'm not buying it.
We've played one good offensive team, Purdue, and gave up almost 500 yards of offense. And that was at home, with our D not quite as banged up. So yes, that's what I'm selling. I hope I'm wrong.

We've played one good offensive team, Purdue, and gave up almost 500 yards of offense. And that was at home, with our D not quite as banged up. So yes, that's what I'm selling. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not buying it unless you are telling me he might get 150 in total yards, but I took it to mean you thought rushing yards. That I don't buy even at discount prices.

nc st went to Clem fds were 20-20. NC st committed the only 2 TOs NC st gained 280 and allowed like 360
nc st went to SU fds were 16-20. SU committed the only 2 TOs. NC st gained 260 and allowed 390.

We can hang with them but it would be nice to win the turnover battle in a big game.

Shipley is going to be a matchup nightmare for our D, there's no way around it. Good chance he runs for 150+ if they go even remotely run heavy. One of the saving graces yesterday was holding NC St to field goals, obviously. Clemson will get chunk plays. They'll get their yards. If we can dig in and hold them to field goals, we have a chance. We'll be lucky to have any short defensive possessions. If our D can bend without breaking, we've got a fighting chance. LFGO!!!!
Shipley is a shifty, relentless beast and I'm really surprised by how much better Uiagalelei looks this year.

purdeue had under 300 and then went crazy in the 4th as both teams allowed yds.. But Purdue can move the ball when healthy.

Why is it automatic that Clemson’s going to run all over us?

We have one of the best run defenses in the league?

It just seems that even after 6-0, even after the stats being shown, people can't or won't believe what we have on the field and how we play. I'm willing to bet even if we beat Clemson there will people who will still hedge every game remaining.

Watched the ACCN post game show last night and coach whathisname stated "Still not sure how good Syracuse is". How can you not know after 6 games. What other team in America are we saying that about? 5-1 Oregon who is still Top 10 but got blown out by Georgia? 6-1 USC who's best game was against a 4-2 Utah and lost? 5-1 Wake Forest who lost to Clemson and beat Liberty by 1 point?

I'm really getting tired of this hedging of our accomplishments. We FING good, NO, WE'RE GREAT, on defense and we are very good on offense. Why is that so hard to see and accept by some people?

Way I see it, Clemson is really tough at home, but for whatever reason we always seem to play them tough, so who knows what happens Saturday. I feel confident that our coaching staff will have some good ideas on how to attack them and put in a good game plan, and I'm confident in the players to execute it. Even at that, against top teams like that, it might not be enough.

But... Clemson has to do it too. They can't just show up and win. I think the early start helps us a lot and weird things can happen on the football field. Enough things break our way and we can win this one.

And if we do, then things get really interesting. We're solidly in the playoff conversation at that point. We'd have a lot of work left to do because I think we'd need to have a perfect season to get there, but we keep getting tested and we keep passing tests.
How have our OC's offenses fared against Clemson, if anyone knows

It just seems that even after 6-0, even after the stats being shown, people can't or won't believe what we have on the field and how we play. I'm willing to bet even if we beat Clemson there will people who will still hedge every game remaining.

Watched the ACCN post game show last night and coach whathisname stated "Still not sure how good Syracuse is". How can you not know after 6 games. What other team in America are we saying that about? 5-1 Oregon who is still Top 10 but got blown out by Georgia? 6-1 USC who's best game was against a 4-2 Utah and lost? 5-1 Wake Forest who lost to Clemson and beat Liberty by 1 point?

I'm really getting tired of this hedging of our accomplishments. We FING good, NO, WE'RE GREAT, on defense and we are very good on offense. Why is that so hard to see and accept by some people?
We beat Purdue who’s a top 5 team in the big 10 and who’s QB is levels better than Leary.

We derailed Louisvilles season and Malik’s heisman campaign.

We made NC States defense look like child’s play in a game that we should have won by over 30.

But no we’re pretenders

We beat Purdue who’s a top 5 team in the big 10 and who’s QB is levels better than Leary.

We derailed Louisvilles season and Malik’s heisman campaign.

We made NC States defense look like child’s play in a game that we should have won by over 30.

But no we’re pretenders

I don't think we are viewed as pretenders, but I understand how an unbiased outside observer might not yet be totally sold on us. The past reputation of suckiness will take a while to overcome. For every valid argument we can make for the attractiveness of each P5 win, an unbiased outside observer could also say "yeah, but..." And they could do it with varying degrees of validity.

And that's OK. We can only control what we can control. Polls are always going to be subjective and always have been. We have dug a hole for ourselves with our own past reputation and therefore we have to be a little better than other teams to get the same recognition. Is it fair? No, but that's the way it is and raging against reality doesn't change that.

Beating NCSt WITH Leary would have helped. It would have overlooked SU's own losses in personnel, but when you have a putrid reputation to overcome, you aren't going to get those close calls at home (to mix a baseball metaphor into football). At the end of the day, however, we have 6 games left to convince people that we are as good as we think we are. It is our destiny to control. It is our job to make sure that all doubt is removed.

the perception that hurts us is that we dont tend to win the games pretty that we should be. We played well enough long enough to win Pur/Virg/Nc st by 20+ and didnt.

Heard an interview on the radio this morning with Shipley. They discussed the Syracuse game some. Will was very respectful of SU and mentioned that he knew Garrett Shrader. Said his older brother was really close to Garrett and and Garrett was a great guy. The interviewer mentioned that they were going to talk to Shrader shortly afterwards, and Will said to be sure and let him that Will said hello.

Seems like a good dude.

Most of that came in that wild 4th Q. For 3 quarters the numbers were in the 200s.

I think this is going to be a close game. Probably will come down to turnovers. I think Garrett has to step up and outduel some of these QBs next few games and he can do it vs DJU. More worried about big plays from their WRs than RB Shipley is good but hes more of an all arounder type guy to me than home run threat.

For those that watched the Clemson FSU game- Clemson can be run on. FSU gouged them on cutbacks a ton. Something that is good for us and with How Tucker likes to run. We put up about the same numbers yards wise on NCS as Clemson did.

Tall order but far from impossible.

If anything that should make you feel better, DJ spreads it around better than we do, but Clemson doesn't have the O'Connell/Jones connection. (Remember Weber to Decker?) We have that connection now with Shrader/OG. If they're on, we can win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom