Kentucky Derby picks | Syracusefan.com

Kentucky Derby picks

djcon57

Living Legend
One of the 4 will win imo:
- Classic Empire wins if he's behaving
- Battle of Midway, loved his run at SA with a bad trip
- Gunnevera, needs the trip but has a chance
- Gormley, I don't love his class but just huge heart and if it's him vs one other down the stretch I think he'll take it

Another poor crop of NY horses don't think they have a shot

Thunder Snow might have a serious shot. Not sure Gunnavera can get the distance. Haven't looked at it that much wyet. Best NY horse got hurt along the way as did The best California horse. Wide open field for sure, agreed on Classic Empire horse to beat

Seems like a relatively weak crop this year. Big question marks surrounding everyone, and we're very likely to get an off track on Saturday. Good chance for some chaotic results. Will definitely be shopping for some prices.

I really dont think its an event you can handicap this year, i could see about 10 horses winning it with so many being inconsistent.. payouts should be big as usual.

The one that poops just before the start is the one that will win...shows that the horse is relaxed, plus a bit lighter...

Seriously though, don't know anything about these horses, but gotta go with Battle of Midway, because of the name of course...

The one that poops just before the start is the one that will win...shows that the horse is relaxed, plus a bit lighter...

Seriously though, don't know anything about these horses, but gotta go with Battle of Midway, because of the name of course...
great name and GREAT movie.

while I hate remakes, this is a movie that should be remade, its 1 of my all time...stop whatever it is im doing and watch...movies.

I think the story done properly in 2010s can be vastly better than how it was told in 76 I think.

I know absolutely nothing about horse racing, but the history guy in me has to take Battle of Midway.

Thunder Snow might have a serious shot. Not sure Gunnavera can get the distance. Haven't looked at it that much wyet. Best NY horse got hurt along the way as did The best California horse. Wide open field for sure, agreed on Classic Empire horse to beat

I don't know the schedule for Mastery's return but if he's back for Preakness or Belmont. I'm all in. Saw him live. Had another gear

I don't know the schedule for Mastery's return but if he's back for Preakness or Belmont. I'm all in. Saw him live. Had another gear

I don't think he will be back anytime soon if ever, already sold his stallion rights but he was the best 3 year old. mike Smith did a great job pulling him up so quickly.

I'm obviously going to wait until they draw the posts because I'm going to eliminate whoever draws the rail but I'm down to about 4-5 horses

I am on 4 horses. Irish War Cray, McCracken, Thunder Snow, and IRAP. I don't think McCracken was cranked up for the last race and is 3-0 at Churchill. Thunder Snow has best breeding for the 1-1/4 mile route. Irish War Cry has two best speed figures this year but has thrown the one clunker. IRAP seems to be getting better and has had rave reviews from the sharps at Churchill.

Track looks like it's going to be wet one more to consider is the maiden. trainer and ridden by the Desormeux bros. the breeding to get the distance is a real ?? But the reports are that he was just ripping across the wet track earlier in the week. Horse will be 60-1 minimum. Even a win/place/ show wager and love the desormeaux boys: Kent and keith.

Gun to my head: thunder snow all in

Last edited:
Practical Joke - Nice, accomplished horse, seems set for a top effort and a bit under the radar for some reason; Chad Brown is going to win one of these some day

J Boys Echo - Like this horse making one run from way out of it; will be a huge price for a trainer who knows how to upset in major races

Irish War Cry - Has big shot if he can sit just behind the speeds and not get chewed up in what figures to be a strong, contested pace; trainer knows how to win this race

I am on 4 horses. Irish War Cray, McCracken, Thunder Snow, and IRAP. I don't think McCracken was cranked up for the last race and is 3-0 at Churchill. Thunder Snow has best breeding for the 1-1/4 mile route. Irish War Cry has two best speed figures this year but has thrown the one clunker. IRAP seems to be getting better and has had rave reviews from the sharps at Churchill.
Ernie McCracken?

Ernie McCracken?
Im in on Ogie. Cant resist any Slapshot reference. IB knows his stuff when it comes to Horses. Ill go with Thunder Snow in the mud.

Practical Joke - Nice, accomplished horse, seems set for a top effort and a bit under the radar for some reason; Chad Brown is going to win one of these some day

J Boys Echo - Like this horse making one run from way out of it; will be a huge price for a trainer who knows how to upset in major races

Irish War Cry - Has big shot if he can sit just behind the speeds and not get chewed up in what figures to be a strong, contested pace; trainer knows how to win this race

J Boys Echo is intriguing for sure, I looked at him and you are right Romans can pull the upset, hometown trainer, jock is hot all year as well. If I could add one more in tris I would probably go there as well. I will probably plat around with 6-7 horses in trifectas, but will have McCracken, Thunder Snow and War Cry on top of them all

J Boys Echo is intriguing for sure, I looked at him and you are right Romans can pull the upset, hometown trainer, jock is hot all year as well. If I could add one more in tris I would probably go there as well. I will probably plat around with 6-7 horses in trifectas, but will have McCracken, Thunder Snow and War Cry on top of them all
God bless you playing tris in that race, hope you hit it.

I generally play horizontals (mostly pick 4s and doubles) and make win bets, and only occasionally play exactas. Lots of good betting opportunities Friday and Saturday, and will likely do something with the Oaks/Derby double.

Good luck to you and everyone else here this weekend.

Last edited:
derby is the best time all year to play triples and supers.. you get the best horses and the crazy odds. bets that would pay out hundreds in the summer pay out 10 of thousands on derby day

I generally play horizontals (mostly pick 4s and doubles) and make win bets, and only occasionally play exactas. Lots of good betting opportunities Friday and Saturday, and will likely do something with the Oaks/Derby double.

Salty is my oaks pick for doubles

Salty is my oaks pick for doubles
Very nice steadily improving filly, will have to negotiate her way through big field from off pace; she will be one of several my ticket.

Paradise Woods looked like a superstar last time and will be hard to beat if she runs close to that well again. Miss Sky Warrior just wins and took a big step forward dominating in her last race in NY. I'll use Abel Tasman on my ticket a little bit also.

Really love bets like the Oaks/Derby double with the huge fields.

I play one trifecta a year and that is the KY derby, the payoff is just too big to resist with the odds. I actually dont like them very much at all. I'm with you, play pick 3 a lot and I love the $1 pick 5 which imo is the best bet in horse racing, great value.

I went to keeneland a few weeks ago which I like better than Saratoga and I played pick 3 and five and placed win show bets as I moved through the races. Hit a huge pick 3 and a win place bet on a horse that went off at 18-1, missed the pick 5 in the last race which would have paid almost 6k. Walked out that day up a very decent sum. Gave back a few hundred the next day but was a great run that Friday.

I will play the oaks/ derby double and will try to beat the favorite in oaks who I hope bounces. I'm not sure she will and I think she will be tough to beat if she runs 90% of what she did in the SA derby she will win but I'm just not going to do it in the double. Will probably go with Farrell and miss sky warrior who I think is pretty damn good. I think if you take favorite in oaks you spread in the derby and try to catch a price to make some money. Thought about salty but hate the post in oaks and I just can't see Rosario being aggressive enough in the front end with her to overcome the outside post, think he will leave her with too much work coming in. Love Rosario but he gets too cute for me sometimes

Last edited:
Very nice steadily improving filly, will have to negotiate her way through big field from off pace; she will be one of several my ticket.

Paradise Woods looked like a superstar last time and will be hard to beat if she runs close to that well again. Miss Sky Warrior just wins and took a big step forward dominating in her last race in NY. I'll use Abel Tasman on my ticket a little bit also.

Really love bets like the Oaks/Derby double with the huge fields.

Finalized my double: couldnt leave PW off

PW and Salty with my top 4 above

and that is why exotics rule on derby weekend. 9-1 and 12-1 and you get a 171K super.

i threw out PW and warrior and still didnt come close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom