Kevin Ollie charged by NCAA on ethics violations | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Ollie charged by NCAA on ethics violations

UConn fans have been killing other schools for years for "Cheating"; love the irony.

UConn will probably get credit from the NCAA for firing Ollie beforehand (although they kind of lucked into it, let's be honest if Ollie was winning this never would have happened).

It will be interesting to see how schools use this to recruit against Hurley.

Some random thoughts...

I dislike uconn as much as anybody, but arranging phone calls with recruits and your famous alumni in the NBA? I feel like i'm missing something obvious, but what is wrong with that? A phone call? I thought everyone did that openly...no? Especially when one was a former teammate of the coach(Allen). A coordinated phone call with the coach is different than those guys openly recruiting. Must be one of those "representative of athletic program" classifications that then has about 20 pages of stipulations involving any communication.

It also sounds kind of like what happened at Tressel. The violations could be the most minor or unintentional ever, but if the NCAA says you lied in any way at all, you're done, whatever the violations are. Also, most of this doesn't scream to me "Ollie cheated", just that he wasn't very up to speed on the famous huge NCAA rulebook. I remember a newspaper article before accusing Ollie of arranging for a recruit's family to move to CT, which was the worst one mentioned, but I don't see that here.

This is going to get worse before better. One fired assistant coach, who gave evidence, now being accused by another assistant of wrongdoing, with proof. All while a lawsuit which can make all of this hard evidence and testimony hangs over all of this, with no sign of either side backing down.

This is good for uconn, right? Helps support their for cause argument.

This is good for uconn, right? Helps support their for cause argument.
Yes.

I don't know the details but basically at a high level this is what's happening:

- Ollie's contract had a $10M buyout if he was fired; however, if he was fired for just cause (aka NCAA violations), UConn wouldn't have to pay him anything
- Ollie was fired for poor performance, but when UConn fired them they listed violations as the reason for the firing
- Ollie denied the allegations and the 2 ended up in court
- I believe UConn tried to settle and offer an amount smaller than the $10M but Ollie said no
- Meanwhile, with a possible $10M bill looming over their head, UConn still pays Hurley. Which tells you have much faith they had that Ollie wouldn't be getting a cent of his money. And the fact that Hurley took the job shows that UConn wasn't worried about any serious NCAA violations against the university.
- This report comes yesterday which clearly indicated Ollie did commit violations and that (as of now) it appears UConn is clear of any wrongdoing
- It seems that UConn will not have to pay anything to Ollie anymore. However, it is still not good to have your name on ESPN like this. Ollie was still in charge of the program and committed the violation while on staff so I'd have to imagine something (even minuscule) could still happen to UConn

Yes.

I don't know the details but basically at a high level this is what's happening:

- Ollie's contract had a $10M buyout if he was fired; however, if he was fired for just cause (aka NCAA violations), UConn wouldn't have to pay him anything
- Ollie was fired for poor performance, but when UConn fired them they listed violations as the reason for the firing
- I believe UConn tried to settle and offer an amount smaller than the $10M but Ollie said no
- Meanwhile, with a possible $10M bill looming over their head, UConn still pays Hurley. Which tells you have much faith they had that Ollie wouldn't be getting a cent of his money. And the fact that Hurley took the job shows that UConn wasn't worried about any serious NCAA violations against the university.
- This report comes yesterday which clearly indicated Ollie did commit violations and that (as of now) it appears UConn is clear of any wrongdoing
- It seems that UConn will not have to pay anything to Ollie anymore. However, it is still not good to have your name on ESPN like this. Ollie was still in charge of the program and committed the violation while on staff so I'd have to imagine something (even minuscule) could still happen to UConn

The question becomes, do these violations count as just cause? I wonder if/how its defined in his contract. Im sure i could look it up but too lazy to care.

Edit: i found an excerpt from hartford current that summarizes it well:

“The contract warns Ollie that if UConn or the NCAA concludes that he violated NCAA rules, he would be subject to suspension without pay. Further, in the event of significant or repetitive violations, Ollie would be subject to termination of employment.”

My personal take is the ncaa violations alone wouldnt qualify as just cause but the fact ollie lied to ncaa is going to sink him. The ncaa takes lying very seriously.

The ironic part of this is i believe uconn self reported and fired ollie at the same time. If true, ollie got bad counsel and is an idiot for lying.

Last edited:
The question becomes, do these violations count as just cause? I wonder if/how its defined in his contract. Im sure i could look it up but too lazy to care.

Edit: i found an excerpt from hartford current that summarizes it well:

“The contract warns Ollie that if UConn or the NCAA concludes that he violated NCAA rules, he would be subject to suspension without pay. Further, in the event of significant or repetitive violations, Ollie would be subject to termination of employment.”

My personal take is the ncaa violations alone wouldnt qualify as just cause but the fact ollie lied to ncaa is going to sink him. The ncaa takes lying very seriously.

The ironic part of this is i believe uconn self reported and fired ollie at the same time. If true, ollie got bad counsel and is an idiot for lying.

Definitely. Glen Miller, Ollie's former assistant coach, ratted him out. If Ollie was winning there was no chance this would have happened. UConn wanted to get rid of Ollie and not pay him so they pulled this.

Yes.

Bingo.

9C2BC355-59CE-40A7-B3B7-0F658031875C.gif

They really thought Ollie wouldnt go scorched earth? Thats what happens when you treat someone like dirt. “But he committed violations” yea and the only reason they self reported was because they were losing . Mickey mouse operation over there

UConn should have reached a deal where Ollie gets paid a sum every year till they repay him.
If they owed him 10 million.
Negotiate it down 5 million.
He gets 500k in July 1st for a decade.

The bullchit that they fired him for cause is so low class. He should make do everything he can to be a pain in the a$$ to Hurley and everyone at that school.

Pay that man his money.

if hurley has committed any of the ethical violations that uconn turned ollie in for, but the uconn a.d. has ignored them, then ollie's bias case is made.

i don't know whether or not hurley has done so, but this being d1 basketball and hurley & uconn desperate to get back among the elite, i would not expect that a law firm & their investigators have to kick over too many rocks to find something

if hurley has committed any of the ethical violations that uconn turned ollie in for, but the uconn a.d. has ignored them, then ollie's bias case is made.

i don't know whether or not hurley has done so, but this being d1 basketball and hurley & uconn desperate to get back among the elite, i would not expect that a law firm & their investigators have to kick over too many rocks to find something
Hurley had Preston Murphy on his staff at URI. Murphy was the guy at Creighton that offered Bowen $100K. Murphy was the lead recruiter for Hurleys biggest get ever at URI, EC Matthews

If UConn contacted Hurley while Ollie was still employed that could be an issue

Yep ollies claim is likely the ncaa violations were a pretext for his firing. That is exactly what ollies lawyers would be looking into.