Key West Recommendations | Syracusefan.com

Key West Recommendations

SUFaninNJ

Living Legend
I went to Key West for Spring Break back in the late 80;s and my buddies and I are looking to do a reunion trip there. If anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated. We don't have a date in mind, but we're all antsy as Hell to travel somewhere once we feel safe traveling again and things open up a bit.

I've actually never been to Key West, but I've spent a lot of time in South Florida. One thing that I'd recommend is flying in Ft. Lauderdale (it is usually cheaper than Miami), and then driving down to Key West. I've only made it about 2/3rd of the way to Key West, but the drive was truly special. Listen to the local radio on the way. Very cool to hear addresses simply referred to "Mile Maker X"

I went to Key West for Spring Break back in the late 80;s and my buddies and I are looking to do a reunion trip there. If anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated. We don't have a date in mind, but we're all antsy as Hell to travel somewhere once we feel safe traveling again and things open up a bit.
It’s very expensive to stay there, and hard to rent a place. From experience, plan early, real early. Also, if one of your buddies, or their parents, own a timeshare somewhere, see if you can use there week to book a timeshare. There are a couple there and we have done this a few times. A little easier to book than houses.

My mom, two sisters and wife are doing a 3-day Key West trip in a few weeks. Any can't-miss restaurant recommendations I could pass on to them?

My mom, two sisters and wife are doing a 3-day Key West trip in a few weeks. Any can't-miss restaurant recommendations I could pass on to them?
Blue Heaven for brunch is a must. Music, free range chickens, bloody Mary’s. It’s awesome. Santiago’s Bodega is solid too.

Haven't been since Spring Break 1988. I'm sure a few things have changed since then. :p

Salute! has a laid-back vibe, good food (featuring fresh seafood & Italian fare), and is located right on Higgs Beach. Someone mentioned Blue Heaven, which is Salute's sister restaurant.
Salute!

Key West is super expensive right now. I think it is because a lot of people are avoiding international travel.

My wife and I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on the east end of the island. Very nice property and it had a free shuttle to downtown on a scheduled rotation.

I've actually never been to Key West, but I've spent a lot of time in South Florida. One thing that I'd recommend is flying in Ft. Lauderdale (it is usually cheaper than Miami), and then driving down to Key West. I've only made it about 2/3rd of the way to Key West, but the drive was truly special. Listen to the local radio on the way. Very cool to hear addresses simply referred to "Mile Maker X"
I've done that FLL to Key West drive three times. I highly recommend people put it on their bucket list. It's a real road trip. We stay a few nights in South Beach, stay in Islamorada and then a few nights in Key West. Key West has so many classic bars/restaurants to go to but South Beach and Islamorada are also great. Just writing this makes me want to book a trip.

Key West is super expensive right now. I think it is because a lot of people are avoiding international travel.

My wife and I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on the east end of the island. Very nice property and it had a free shuttle to downtown on a scheduled rotation.
I just looked at prices and got sticker shock. Prices are almost double what they should be.

I've done that FLL to Key West drive three times. I highly recommend people put it on their bucket list. It's a real road trip. We stay a few nights in South Beach, stay in Islamorada and then a few nights in Key West. Key West has so many classic bars/restaurants to go to but South Beach and Islamorada are also great. Just writing this makes me want to book a trip.
I had a long relationship with someone whose car broke down on the 7 mile bridge.

I just looked at prices and got sticker shock. Prices are almost double what they should be.
It's been awhile but last time visiting Key West we stayed in the next town up at a place where some of the rooms are floating on (inland) water. It was a funky eclectic place but saved a bit of money.

Last time I was in Key West was April 2018. Three couples rented a house with pool for 5500$/week. What are the comparables now?

We stayed at this small inn about 1/2 block north of there so we passed it everytime we went out since we walked everywhere. We didn't know what it was and was a little intimidated to ask. All I remember is that you couldn't see in the windows.

We stayed at this small inn about 1/2 block north of there so we passed it everytime we went out since we walked everywhere. We didn't know what it was and was a little intimidated to ask. All I remember is that you couldn't see in the windows.
A dessert restaurant. I believe only open at night. Sinful desserts.

In light of how expensive Key West is...I do have an option for you. If you guys are looking for the Duval St freakshow and nightlife...this isn't it though. However, have you guys thought about doing a Florida Fish Camp? Most are for freshwater fishing but that might be an option. You could hire a guide and take you fishing. Then have a shore dinner. Another option is staying in the keys but near Islamorada or even in Miami...a lot more choices in Miami for pricing and excitement levels.

Another possible option (though not overnight) is taking a large catamaran to Key West for the day. Believe it leaves from West Palm Beach or thereabouts.

In light of how expensive Key West is...I do have an option for you. If you guys are looking for the Duval St freakshow and nightlife...this isn't it though. However, have you guys thought about doing a Florida Fish Camp? Most are for freshwater fishing but that might be an option. You could hire a guide and take you fishing. Then have a shore dinner. Another option is staying in the keys but near Islamorada or even in Miami...a lot more choices in Miami for pricing and excitement levels.
Not sure where we'll end up or if we ever end up going. I'm sure my pal in Seattle is hoping for something a bit closer. If he brings up the distance I'll just regal him with stories of CuseTroop and his lengthy trips.

Another possible option (though not overnight) is taking a large catamaran to Key West for the day. Believe it leaves from West Palm Beach or thereabouts.
On that note: You could stay somewhere around Ft Myers/Naples and take the Key West Ferry (you park your car at the ferry launch). Go over and maybe spend 1 or 2 nights and return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom