Class of 2019 - SG Khalif Battle (NJ) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Khalif Battle (NJ)

I wouldn't try to sabotage the school that gave him the opportunity he had in the first place. I consider what he is doing to be tasteless. I can't have an opinion
Sabotage? What the F are you talking about? He is doing his job. What if you left McDonald's for Wendy's, wouldn't you still try to sell hamburgers and fries?

I never said hop didn't give his heart and soul to the university either. You make me out to sound like a villain. I just want to understand his thought process seeing as he is thousands of miles away and seems to be targeting only Syracuse players

Now these recruits are ours?

I think it's tasteless that we are still recruiting guys Hop was recruiting before he left SU.

(not really, just thought I'd show how ridiculous your thought process is on this)

Sabotage? What the are you talking about? He is doing his job. What if you left McDonald's for Wendy's, wouldn't you still try to sell hamburgers and fries?

Your not selling the same burger and fry, it's a different brand and different tasting

Now these recruits are ours?

I think it's tasteless that we are still recruiting guys Hop was recruiting before he left SU.

(not really, just thought I'd show how ridiculous your thought process is on this)

Why not establish and nurture something that is your own and not Ride the coat tails of the past? Once the well dries in the northeast what will he do?

Is Dino gutless for going after players he recruited at Bowling Green?

Asking for a friend.

Dino is an established head coach and he isn't targeting only bowling green players. Hop hasn't targeted anyone other than cuse players

Your not selling the same burger and fry, it's a different brand and different tasting
Just like Syracuse and Washington are two different tastes. But they are both selling to the same customers at this point.

Why not establish and nurture something that is your own and not Ride the coat tails of the past? Once the well dries in the northeast what will he do?
He is smart. He knows his long term recruiting will be done in the west. However, to ensure that he has a long term future, he is using his current connections to the best of his ability, while he cultivates his connections in the west. What is so hard about this?

For anyone who has been in sales and left their company to go work for a competitor, what did you do with all your relationships you cultivated over the years? You probably brought that rolodex along with you and they were the first people you reached out to while you were starting at your new company no? This is no different...

Hop has a verrryyy strong relationship with Gary Battle and like Jake said, the distance really is not going to be a factor here... GMac and Red have a good relationship with both Tyus and Gary... It will be an interesting recruitment...

I hope everyone just keeps in mind through this recruitment, and all other recruitments, the sky is still in the sky...

And Washington is still Washington. You can't argue that Syracuse is a top ten basketball program. Washington isn't even close to that. He could have the greatest relationship in the world with Gary but the reality is would you tell your son to go to Washington? I don't think so.

And Washington is still Washington. You can't argue that Syracuse is a top ten basketball program. Washington isn't even close to that. He could have the greatest relationship in the world with Gary but the reality is would you tell your son to go to Washington? I don't think so.

He told his son not to go to Michigan.

Which is:
A - a much better program than UW
B - with a much more experienced coach than UW
C - much closer to NJ than UW

Baby Battle isn't even a Top 100 recruit in his class (yet).
IF he becomes a top recruit, and IF he's a high SU priority guy, and IF we somehow "lose" him to UW, THEN I'll worry about that IF and when it ever happens.
I'm not holding my breath on the lose him to UW part - but not gonna worry about it until those other things happen first.

Im not arguing anything. I'm simply stating WHY Hop is still working his connections on the East coast...

Also, IMHO, kids play for coaches, not schools. It's the coaches that get them to the NBA, not the school...

For anyone who has been in sales and left their company to go work for a competitor, what did you do with all your relationships you cultivated over the years? You probably brought that rolodex along with you and they were the first people you reached out to while you were starting at your new company no? This is no different...

Hop has a verrryyy strong relationship with Gary Battle and like Jake said, the distance really is not going to be a factor here... GMac and Red have a good relationship with both Tyus and Gary... It will be an interesting recruitment...

I hope everyone just keeps in mind through this recruitment, and all other recruitments, the sky is still in the sky...

That's all very fair.

Hopefully, the difference stems from our program's interest. That might be what differentiates recruits that we're competing with Hop against that we have program ties to like Marcus Zagarowski [MCW], who we didn't offer until very late, and Kalif Battle, who we have offered extremely early.

For the record, given our need at lead guard, I think we blew it with Zagarowski.

He told his son not to go to Michigan.

Which is:
A - a much better program than UW
B - with a much more experienced coach than UW
C - much closer to NJ than UW

Baby Battle isn't even a Top 100 recruit in his class (yet).
IF he becomes a top recruit, and IF he's a high SU priority guy, and IF we somehow "lose" him to UW, THEN I'll worry about that IF and when it ever happens.
I'm not holding my breath on the lose him to UW part - but not gonna worry about it until those other things happen first.

Only reason Khalif is not top 100 is because he was hurt last year. He will be top 40 in his class. I don't disagree with most of what you wrote.

Next thing you know, Khalif could go to UW and turn out to be a trash player like Markelle Fultz.

Recruiting is about a lot of things but building relationships is a huge facet of it. We have a great relationship with the Battles but a lot of that was forged by Hop. Yes, they are a close family and would probably prefer Khalif to play close to home but UW will be a player and so will plenty of other schools. This is not and will not be Hop vs. JB. Khalif is a special player.

I never said hop didn't give his heart and soul to the university either. You make me out to sound like a villain. I just want to understand his thought process seeing as he is thousands of miles away and seems to be targeting only Syracuse players

You're allowed to have an opinion. I'm just telling you how naive and ridiculous I think it is. What AD would agree to hire a coach that wasn't allowed to use any of his previous recruiting connections?? And he's not targeting Syracuse players - that would be a problem because it would be tampering.

I'm sure he will do that, but it takes time, and until he does develop those connections, I think his AD would still want him to field a team.

My point is he is waisting valuable time recruiting his own area. As his east coast connections dry up over time he is losing out on how to recruit the west. Let's see how he coaches this year shall we?

My point is he is waisting valuable time recruiting his own area. As his east coast connections dry up over time he is losing out on how to recruit the west. Let's see how he coaches this year shall we?

You think he's not also building a network out West? He already got a local kid specifically for that reason. Your opinion is not well informed which is why people are jumping it.

And consider this. If he doesn't make an impact in short order, he will have no job. He doesn't have the luxury of a slow start. People want to see results quickly and he is doing what he has to, to be successful. If he can convince a kid that Washington is a better place for him than Syracuse, then well done.

Dino is an established head coach and he isn't targeting only bowling green players. Hop hasn't targeted anyone other than cuse players

Good lord you have NO IDEA what the hell you are talking about.

Hop has been working on developing west coast contacts since the moment he stepped foot in Washington. So far he has landed THREE kids from Washington.

He had to re-recruit Nowell, who originally de-committed when Romar was fired. He landed the top PG in Seattle in Nate Pryor, and he landed another Seattle kid in Michael Carter III. And he's also been working on developing midwest contacts too. Last week he got a commitment from Ed Chang, a 6-7 combo forward from Nebraska, the top player in the state.

Hop also went down to the wire with Kevin Porter JR before KPJ chose USC, and he came close to getting J'Raan Brooks too (another WA kid who committed to USC).

His job is to win games. You win games with good players. He has close to 20 years worth of contacts on the East Coast. He'd be a complete idiot not to leverage those contacts. I know for a fact that his long term goal is to fill the roster primarily with West Cost kids, but he will continue to be a factor on the east coast for a long time. Book it.