Killington this weekend | Syracusefan.com

Killington this weekend

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Anyone got a condo there they'd like to rent to me last minute?

Scored free lift tix and this powder is calling to me.

Anyone got a condo there they'd like to rent to me last minute?

Scored free lift tix and this powder is calling to me.
Just look up my cousin Sunny. She'll take care of you.
hot-dog-the-movie-6.png

Trying to get one more trip in this season. Got a few days in earlier but heading to poconos if anything. But Killington still one of my favorite east coast mountains. Add Sunday River, Maine.
The snow is just ridiculously good still. We ended up at Pico on Sat and it was one of the best days we've had. Everyone was so happy. Was afraid of the hordes at Killington and I think we made the best choice.

The snow is just ridiculously good still. We ended up at Pico on Sat and it was one of the best days we've had. Everyone was so happy. Was afraid of the hordes at Killington and I think we made the best choice.
It has been a long time for me, but i thought Killington bought Pico and that they now had interconnected trails. Is that correct - just curious. When i was back east that was not the case.

Again, it has been over 20 years for me, and maybe things have changed, but when we skiied, no matter how crowded, we could always find someplace at Killington away from the maddened mobs.

By the way, if anyone is heading up there this weekend, don't stay at the Cortina Inn and Resort. It sucks. They are closing it in April to make into an assisted living facility.

It has been a long time for me, but i thought Killington bought Pico and that they now had interconnected trails. Is that correct - just curious. When i was back east that was not the case.

Again, it has been over 20 years for me, and maybe things have changed, but when we skiied, no matter how crowded, we could always find someplace at Killington away from the maddened mobs.

Not sure. We didn't even try to go to the other. We ended up sleeping until 7:30, so we didn't get there until 10:30 or 11 or so. Had free tix so thought Saturday at Pico would be a good way to ease into the weekend. And then it got cold overnight and we wanted to get going so we bailed on Sunday.

I just noticed from the pic that you ride. 22+ years and still going for me. Arbor element black, 155
arbor-element-black-snowboard.jpg

My Mountain List (order of preference, experience, conditions, etc)
  • Mammoth Mountain, CA
  • The Canyons, UT
  • Snowbird, UT
  • Copper Mountain, CO
  • Park City, UT
  • Killington, VT
  • Sunday River, ME
  • Big Bear, CA
  • Okemo, VT
  • Stratton, VT
  • Big Boulder, PA
  • Belleayre, NY
  • Hunter, NY
  • Ski Windham, NY
  • Jack Frost, PA
  • Shawnee, PA
  • Camelback, PA
  • Bromley, VT
  • Pico, VT
  • Mount Snow, VT
  • Campgaw, NJ
  • Butternut, MA
  • Mountain Creek, NJ

Might still try to get another day or two in. Killy, Okemo, Sugarbush, or Mt Sn. All of them are peak conditions right now and tickets are cheaper if you buy advance online

Might still try to get another day or two in. Killy, Okemo, Sugarbush, or Mt Sn. All of them are peak conditions right now and tickets are cheaper if you buy advance online

I've got a Sugarbush pass left to use. I might try to sneak a day in as well.

I have had a season pass to Stratton the past 3 years. Moved to NC this year and have only rode on one day on my property when we got 11" of snow! Looks like this Spring has been pretty epic for Vermont, very jealous.

I just noticed from the pic that you ride. 22+ years and still going for me. Arbor element black, 155
View attachment 125007

My Mountain List (order of preference, experience, conditions, etc)
  • Mammoth Mountain, CA
  • The Canyons, UT
  • Snowbird, UT
  • Copper Mountain, CO
  • Park City, UT
  • Killington, VT
  • Sunday River, ME
  • Big Bear, CA
  • Okemo, VT
  • Stratton, VT
  • Big Boulder, PA
  • Belleayre, NY
  • Hunter, NY
  • Ski Windham, NY
  • Jack Frost, PA
  • Shawnee, PA
  • Camelback, PA
  • Bromley, VT
  • Pico, VT
  • Mount Snow, VT
  • Campgaw, NJ
  • Butternut, MA
  • Mountain Creek, NJ

Hard to say what my preference is but I've skied the following mountains in my life (besides the NY mtns)

Stowe, VT
Jay Peak, VT
Sugarbush, VT
Mad River, VT
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Mount Snow , VT

I have to say, of VT I'm partial to Okemo. Not sure why I just like it. They're all great in their own way though.

Breckenridge, CO
Arapaho Basin, CO
Keystone, CO
Loveland, CO
Copper, CO
Vail, CO
Steamboat Springs, CO
Winter Park, CO
Eldora, CO

Of all the mountains I've ever skied, the best days skiing were Steamboat 1, ABasin 2, Vail 3, Breck and Keystone. The first day at Steamboat was NYE Day '94 and we had something like 30" of fresh snow and not a cloud in the sky. It was glorious. Bumps were as big as Volkswagen beetles and covered with the freshest powder I've ever seen in my life. We had 2 days of that.

I lived out there for a few years. In fact, I ski bummed one winter in Breck. Never made it to Butte or Telluride other than the Bluegrass Fest. Had a free ticket to Aspen and never used it.

My 14 year old son has been begging to go out West since he could board. I figure for his senior year I'll take him West as a graduation gift. But I have my eye on Utah. A week of Snowbird, Alta, Park City would be fun. And who knows, If I can hit the lottery by then I'll hit those three and then make the 8 hour drive over to Squaw Valley & Heavenly for a couple of days. Bucket list stuff.

Last edited:
I do have a buy 1 get one at Bromley but I'm thinking Sugarbush b/c my kid has never been. I'll hit you up if I go. Would likely happen next week.

That would be great!

Hard to say what my preference is but I've skied the following mountains in my life (besides the NY mtns)

Stowe, VT
Jay Peak, VT
Sugarbush, VT
Mad River, VT
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Mount Snow , VT

I have to say, of VT I'm partial to Okemo. Not sure why I just like it. They're all great in their own way though.

Breckenridge, CO
Arapaho Basin, CO
Loveland, CO
Copper, CO
Vail, CO
Steamboat Springs, CO
Winter Park, CO
Eldora, CO

Of all the mountains I've ever skied, the best days skiing were Steamboat 1, ABasin 2, Vail 3, Breck and Keystone. The first day at Steamboat was NYE Day '94 and we had something like 30" of fresh snow and not a cloud in the sky. It was glorious. Bumps were as big as Volkswagen beetles and covered with the freshest powder I've ever seen in my life. We had 2 days of that.

I lived out there for a few years. In fact, I ski bummed one winter in Breck. Never made it to Butte or Telluride other than the Bluegrass Fest. Had a free ticket to Aspen and never used it.

My 14 year old son has been begging to go out West since he could board. I figure for his senior year I'll take him West as a graduation gift. But I have my eye on Utah. A week of Snowbird, Alta, Park City would be fun. And who knows, If I can hit the lottery by then I'll hit those three and then make the 8 hour drive over to Squaw Valley & Heavenly for a couple of days. Bucket list stuff.
By the way, great list!
Always wanted to get up to Jay Peak and of course, Breck and Vail.
Me and my buddy bailed on a Jackson Hole trip due to injury many years ago :(

And yeah, my preferences get a little "wonky" towards the bottom third. Mammoth CA will never be usurped on my list as we got the snowfall record (first La Nina pattern) in either 1998 or 1999.
MOST SNOW EVER BELOW ALASKA!
7 feet in less than 48 hours, over 5 feet in 24 hours.
Twice that happened to me that season. Was insane.

By the way, great list!
Always wanted to get up to Jay Peak and of course, Breck and Vail.
Me and my buddy bailed on a Jackson Hole trip due to injury many years ago :(

And yeah, my preferences get a little "wonky" towards the bottom third. Mammoth CA will never be usurped on my list as we got the snowfall record (first La Nina pattern) in either 1998 or 1999.
MOST SNOW EVER BELOW ALASKA!
7 feet in less than 48 hours, over 5 feet in 24 hours.
Twice that happened to me that season. Was insane.

My brother hit Mammoth last year and said it was awesome! I completely forgot about Jackson Hole. I didn't ever make it there either (turned down an opportunity when I was in Boulder - stupid me a measly 8 hr drive) but it's on my bucket list. And the other mountain I want to hit is Taos, NM (4 hours from Denver). Wish I had hit these places when I lived out there :(

Last edited:

Stowe, VT
Jay Peak, VT
Sugarbush, VT
Mad River, VT
Killington, VT
Okemo, VT
Mount Snow , VT

Breckenridge, CO
Arapaho Basin, CO
Keystone, CO
Loveland, CO
Copper, CO
Vail, CO
Steamboat Springs, CO
Winter Park, CO
Eldora, CO

I finally got my wife to go out west last winter and she not only loved it, but she killed it out there. Improved her skiing immensely in that one trip. Finally started embracing the speed and that's made all the difference.

I love Breck. Ridden there twice now, and the second time was 3 days last winter and we had a blast. We also did Vail and Beaver Creek. Really need to spend a few more days at Vail to try and get more of a feel for it. It's so monstrous, but so great.

We started skiing later in life so my first mountain was Pat's Peak in NH. It was fine. Good small mountain to learn on. I switched to boarding when we moved to VT in 2000.

I like Sunday River as well. That place was our annual trip when we lived in Boston. Always went up on Thursday night so we could get the Friday on the mountain before the hordes arrived. There really is nothing better than skiing/riding a mountain on one of their 'off' days.

Favorite place for me here in VT is Jay Peak, but the wife doesn't like it there. Combination of too many really good skiers, French-Canadians, and the miserable cold the place often gets. The long lift there is the coldest I've ever been on a mountain, so I understand a lot of that. But when it's good, it's so very good.

Sugarbush is my go to now.
Bolton Valley is where we went when the kid was younger and learning. Great family mountain, which means you always run into multiple people you know.
Stowe is awesome for the mountain, but it's so corporate it can be overwhelming. Too many brokers from Manhattan and Boston on the lifts who really feel the need to tell you how much they spent on their house in Stowe...
We've done Stratton, Killington and now Pico.
We did Okemo one long weekend a couple years ago and it was great. I think it's the one that reminds me of riding out west the most - big wide trails is probably why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom