Kinda OT: Notes/Impressions from the Duke/NC trip | Syracusefan.com

Kinda OT: Notes/Impressions from the Duke/NC trip

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
First Texanmark is without question the most valuable organizer ever, these tailgates don't happen without him, thanks buddy, it was great fun once again. Spent some time with Orangello for the first time and we all had a ball particularly in taking over Dukes stadium. You da man Kevin. If anyone complains about Cuse fans again I'll know we overall represent well both home and away as it was a pathetic Duke crowd where we probably had half the crowd that was there.

Enough has been said about the game but it was pretty evident McKinley Williams is a "difference maker" type player, The level of energy displayed was noticeably different and improved, hopefully something they can re-create the next two weeks.

Having driven from Charlotte to Durham to Ashville and then back to Charlotte I was able to get a good impression of the highway system in the state. To my shock I saw more abandoned cars on the highway and more trash and debris spread throughout that I've ever seen ever in upstate New York. Very surprising, in fact I saw more abandoned cars then I did in the Bronx in the 70s and 80s. Completely unexpected. Driving through their bible belts was a little uncomfortable. On the other hand Western NC is absolutely gorgeous with the Asheville area particularly beautiful reminding me of a hybrid combination of the Catskill Mountains and Ithaca, especially beautiful with a change in fall leaves.

Supermarket wise Wegmans has nothing over Ingles, the chik fil a chicken sandwiches are as good as advertised, and there is a paradoxical attraction to those waffle houses creating a whole new appreciation for grits. Long winded way of saying this was a really fun road trip and I recommend everybody trying to attend one sometime.

First Texanmark is without question the most valuable organizer ever, these tailgates don't happen without him, thanks buddy, it was great fun once again. Spent some time with Orangello for the first time and we all had a ball particularly in taking over Dukes stadium. You da man Kevin. If anyone complains about Cuse fans again I'll know we overall represent well both home and away as it was a pathetic Duke crowd where we probably had half the crowd that was there.

Enough has been said about the game but it was pretty evident McKinley Williams is a "difference maker" type player, The level of energy displayed was noticeably different and improved, hopefully something they can re-create the next two weeks.

Having driven from Charlotte to Durham to Ashville and then back to Charlotte I was able to get a good impression of the highway system in the state. To my shock I saw more abandoned cars on the highway and more trash and debris spread throughout that I've ever seen ever in upstate New York. Very surprising, in fact I saw more abandoned cars then I did in the Bronx in the 70s and 80s. Completely unexpected. Driving through their bible belts was a little uncomfortable. On the other hand Western NC is absolutely gorgeous with the Asheville area particularly beautiful reminding me of a hybrid combination of the Catskill Mountains and Ithaca, especially beautiful with a change in fall leaves.

Supermarket wise Wegmans has nothing over Ingles, the chik fil a chicken sandwiches are as good as advertised, and there is a paradoxical attraction to those waffle houses creating a whole new appreciation for grits. Long winded way of saying this was a really fun road trip and I recommend everybody trying to attend one sometime.
Are the Ingles better in North Carolina? What we have in Tennessee is fine, but I wouldn't say they're as good as Wegman's.

I'm not surprised by the road debris. The south has a strong attitude of, "You can't tell me what to do/don't tread on me." That's even stronger in the rural/mountain areas.

So you really liked Ingles? I've never been in one. I know you like Hannaford too. Are they similar?

Are you trying to engage in fisticuffs? One does not simply insult Wegmans here.

So you really liked Ingles? I've never been in one. I know you like Hannaford too. Are they similar?
Waaay better than Hannford, and, seriously now, a notch above Wegmans. At least the one in canton, NC and at least as a traditional supermarket. Didn't walk around the entire place to see if there was a essentially a restaurant like Wegmans but kicker was the alcohol they sell, and the mini hardware store in it, along with the full Starbucks in it, along with the gift section that was expansive that allowed me to buy a bday gift bag already filled and put together.

Was SHOCKED to see this type place down there.

Last edited:
How do you know they were abandoned...the families that live in them were probably just away from their "homes" ?
This attitude was just part of the whole discrimination discussion in the other thread.

How many Cuse fans would you say were there? Didn't look like many Duke fans.

And I second TexanMark puts together great events for traveling Cuse fans!
They announced 16k, I'd estimate 8k with 3-4K us. Btw great to finally meet you and your son, what a great time. Look forward to the next time but until then enjoy the greatest city on earth and stop at Carsons ribs for me!

They announced 16k, I'd estimate 8k with 3-4K us. Btw great to finally meet you and your son, what a great time. Look forward to the next time but until then enjoy the greatest city on earth and stop at Carsons ribs for me!
Had a great time at Wallace Wade and it was great meeting you there. Again, hats off to TexanMark and Orangello for all they do to make these tailgates such a success.

I lived in NC for 3 years and the abandoned cars thing always stuck out to me too. So odd.

We made the pilgrimage to the Wegman's in north Raleigh. It was very nice, and very busy. Not as big as the Dewitt Wegmans. It did have an automated Rooster that crowed that was located in the bakery section.

I’ve been here in NC since ‘99. The rule for cars is that you have 5 days to remove your car before they tow it (the time clock starts with the tag being placed on your car by law enforcement, so the time frame might be longer). There is a provision if the vehicle poses a danger, though, that it has to be removed. Having been stationed at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville and working at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, its uncanny the remarkable pattern of vehicles being gone every military payday. This provision has always bothered my northern sensibilities.

Waaay better than Hannford, and, seriously now, a notch above Wegmans. At least the one in canton, NC and at least as a traditional supermarket. Didn't walk around the entire place to see if there was a essentially a restaurant like Wegmans but kicker was the alcohol they sell, and the mini hardware store in it, along with the full Starbucks in it, along with the gift section that was expansive that allowed me to buy a bday gift bag already filled and put together.

Wow. The Ingles where I live, Knoxville, aren't anything like that. They're nice but just normal, somewhere between a nice Price Chopper and Wegman's. The Publix here are nicer than Ingles but not as big.

I think that Ingles was an exception. You get out in the middle of nowhere and it's a basic grocery store.

Ingles HQs is in Asheville...I bet it is their premier store. Maybe even a one off concept for Higher Income suburbs in their footprint.

Nah. They knew the big spender was coming and prettied it up ;)

Much fun was had by all. Kudos to Cuseregular and Jim for manning the grills. By my humble estimation we grilled about 40lbs of various dogs (Hoffmanns, Sahlens, Sabretts, HN and some locals). They were all gone by the time we shut the grills down.

The old parking guy on the golf cart was a total asshat. He was yelling at two people with their trunk open and a cooler on the ground that they had to move back. Might have been a UConn or Butgers fan. Total jerkwater.

The Publix at Ansley Square in Cary where we picked up the sandwich platters pre-tailgate was very nice. Looked pretty new. I walked around it and noted they sold both Hoffmans and Sahlens. Very nice employees.

Supermarket wise Wegmans has nothing over Ingles, the chik fil a chicken sandwiches are as good as advertised, and there is a paradoxical attraction to those waffle houses creating a whole new appreciation for grits.
The one, nearby, Ingles is a dumpster. The upcoming Wegmans, albeit 30 minutes away, will bow it away.

The Ingles is Plan-Z for me... as in all of the other stores are closed.

The one, nearby, Ingles is a dumpster. The upcoming Wegmans, albeit 30 minutes away, will bow it away.

The Ingles is Plan-Z for me... as in all of the other stores are closed.
Must be as mark said their flagship. Scroll through the pics in this link, this would be plan A for me...
"ingles" canton north carolina

Must be as mark said their flagship. Scroll through the pics in this link, this would be plan A for me...
"ingles" canton north carolina
Good for them.
Every local Kroger, Publix, Sprouts, Whole Foods & Fresh Market would have to be closed for me to go there.

So far, it has happened only once, on one of the holidays.

looking forward to the first ATL Wegmans to open soon...

Good for them.
Every local Kroger, Publix, Sprouts, Whole Foods & Fresh Market would have to be closed for me to go there.

So far, it has happened only once, on one of the holidays.

looking forward to the first ATL Wegmans to open soon...
Mental note to self...Jurrie is not a fan of Ingles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom