Class of 2014 - Kiy Hester to FIU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Kiy Hester to FIU

Chaz Cervino's alma mater...definitely some relationships SU is going to have to mend at DePaul. The staff was not happy at all with the way Chaz was treated at SU.

Chaz Cervino's alma mater...definitely some relationships SU is going to have to mend at DePaul. The staff was not happy at all with the way Chaz was treated at SU.

Did Chaz transfer before DM got here? I know he was recruited by GROB...

Did Chaz transfer before DM got here? I know he was recruited by GROB...

He was one of the kids not asked back by HCDM when he got hired. Transferred to Hofstra then they dropped football. Tough break for a great kid. His father is also very well connected to the North Jersey high school football scene with a son at Bergen Catholic now.

It's too bad they didn't invite him back and Marrone might have a fence or two to mend at DePaul but those coaches should recognize and be thankful that somebody gave Cervino a D1 scholarhip. He was at best a D1AA player and should've never been at Syracuse to begin with. Those high school coaches know Syracuse isn't running a charity and sometimes things don't work. Lord knows Schiano and Rutgers screwed over their fair share of NJ players.

It's too bad they didn't invite him back and Marrone might have a fence or two to mend at DePaul but those coaches should recognize and be thankful that somebody gave Cervino a D1 scholarhip. He was at best a D1AA player and should've never been at Syracuse to begin with. Those high school coaches know Syracuse isn't running a charity and sometimes things don't work. Lord knows Schiano and Rutgers screwed over their fair share of NJ players.
I agree with most of this but don't equate Cervino as being "screwed over". My understanding is that Marrone was honest with players who he thought would never see the field but given that information, they chose to leave. As we are seeing now...some, like Meldrum, stayed. I don't think anyone was screwed over here.

I agree with most of this but don't equate Cervino as being "screwed over". My understanding is that Marrone was honest with players who he thought would never see the field but given that information, they chose to leave. As we are seeing now...some, like Meldrum, stayed. I don't think anyone was screwed over here.

I never said he was screwed over. Cervino was darn lucky to ever have had a D1 offer and should be thankful he got the chance.

Who said anything about Rutgers? And as for the bolded comment, it's easy for a message board hero to say but HS coaches are always biased about their kids. Especially kids as well liked as Chaz was. It takes a lot to work to get HS guys to look past that. Not saying it can't be done but that is the temperature at the moment.

Who said anything about Rutgers? And as for the bolded comment, it's easy for a message board hero to say but HS coaches are always biased about their kids. Especially kids as well liked as Chaz was. It takes a lot to work to get HS guys to look past that. Not saying it can't be done but that is the temperature at the moment.

Hopefully the Staff is trying to mend those fences. HS coaches are very protective of their kids, but a lot of them need a reality check as well. A lot of times i think its more important for a HS program and a coach's ego to get a d1 offer than it is for the kid. To admit their kid wasnt d1 material might reflect poorly on them. I could be wrong but im sure it happens.

Hopefully the Staff is trying to mend those fences. HS coaches are very protective of their kids, but a lot of them need a reality check as well. A lot of times i think its more important for a HS program and a coach's ego to get a d1 offer than it is for the kid. To admit their kid wasnt d1 material might reflect poorly on them. I could be wrong but im sure it happens.

You are 100% right. Especially when you are talking the North Jersey parochial schools. They are all "recruiting" against each other for the younger talent. Part of their sell is where their previous kids have gone. The staff at DePaul is one of the best staffs at getting their kids recruited. Shakim Phillips a few years back is a perfect example. At one time Shakim was ranked in the top 100 recruits in the country by recruiting services. He wasn't top 100 good (or even close) but he had coaches who knew how to get his name/tape out there. They are good guys. I'm sure Coach and his staff will be able to mend the fences there.

You are 100% right. Especially when you are talking the North Jersey parochial schools. They are all "recruiting" against each other for the younger talent. Part of their sell is where their previous kids have gone. The staff at DePaul is one of the best staffs at getting their kids recruited. Shakim Phillips a few years back is a perfect example. At one time Shakim was ranked in the top 100 recruits in the country by recruiting services. He wasn't top 100 good (or even close) but he had coaches who knew how to get his name/tape out there. They are good guys. I'm sure Coach and his staff will be able to mend the fences there.

I hope so. Recruiting New Jersey was such an integral part of our success in the 90s, that I'd love to see us get our foot back in the door. I know, I know--the landscape has changed, with Rutgers, Uconn, etc. now all mining that same area--but New Jersey IS a hotbed [can't be disputed], and we haven't yet re-established enough of a footprint there for my liking.

I hope so. Recruiting New Jersey was such an integral part of our success in the 90s, that I'd love to see us get our foot back in the door. I know, I know--the landscape has changed, with Rutgers, Uconn, etc. now all mining that same area--but New Jersey IS a hotbed [can't be disputed], and we haven't yet re-established enough of a footprint there for my liking.

Exactly. This is also one of the reasons why the USC game makes me nervous. While it is nice to bring a game down to the NYC metro area for the fans, a blow out loss in NJ is not going to help the local perception of SU football.

Exactly. This is also one of the reasons why the USC game makes me nervous. While it is nice to bring a game down to the NYC metro area for the fans, a blow out loss in NJ is not going to help the local perception of SU football.

While i wont disagree with you, but kids and coaches are smart. I mean the game is against USC which is a Top 3 team. I will be more concerned if the loss is to PSU or ND as they actively recruit NJ.

I never said he was screwed over. Cervino was darn lucky to ever have had a D1 offer and should be thankful he got the chance.
No problem. I was with you until the part about " Lord knows Schiano and Rutgers screwed over their fair share of NJ players." ...which seemed to imply an SU "share" in this.

While i wont disagree with you, but kids and coaches are smart. I mean the game is against USC which is a Top 3 team. I will be more concerned if the loss is to PSU or ND as they actively recruit NJ.

USC has had some pretty decent NJ players as well. Brian Cushing and Dwayne Jarrett most recently. But I get your point. I agree losing to USC is better than PSU and ND, however I was speaking more in generalities regarding the perception of the program. HS kids now have never known a good SU football team.

I heard he has some nagging injuries that is effecting his play. I would pass. If he was any good. Rutgers wouldnt let him go.

I heard he has some nagging injuries that is effecting his play. I would pass. If he was any good. Rutgers wouldnt let him go.

Grad transfer they have no choice. 3 yr starter and all big ten honorable mention.

I don't think he liked your post coach. ;)

I know they are playing Kansas next year but blocking a kid from transferring to Kansas sums up Rutgers quite well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom