Knicks and Phil.... | Syracusefan.com

Knicks and Phil....

newmexicuse

All Conference
There has been lot's of Phil criticism. Could Phil have done better ? Of course, nobody is perfect.

However, everybody forgets how little Phil had to work with in assets when he took over the Knicks - flawed roster, no young stars, not many draft picks.

As far as I am concerned Phil is now playing with a full deck for the first time since he took control.

With minimal assets Phil has made four very strong moves

1. He drafted Porzingus
2. He has not traded away future draft picks. It would have been easy to do so when he got Rose to pair with Anthony and everybody thought they were going to be a playoff team.
3. He traded for and drafted Hernangomez.
4. He has for the most not given out bad contracts. Noah was a clear mistake. You could argue that Melo's contract was a mistake, but at the time how could you have let him walk for no return ?

So, now for the first Phil will have a full complement of draft picks plus cap room assuming they let Rose walk.

My only real gripe with Phil is his apparent insistence on using the triangle. Well, if he really wants to play the triangle then he needs to find the next Kobe or Michael in the draft. My other gripe with Phil is his treatment of Melo. There was no call for public embarrassment. If he wants to dump Melo, it all could have been done behind the scenes. I think while Melo is still a very good player, but that his superstar days are behind him. If he was willing to accept a reduced role, he could still help the Knicks going forward. I would definitely not just give Melo away, but if they could get back something like a mid round #1 and a rotation player back, I would not object to trading him to some place where he would have a shot at a ring.

The Knicks should be in a great draft position to add an important piece. If Phil gets the draft right again, then he will have given the Knicks the foundation they will need to move forward.

Nothing matters until he gets past having to use the triangle.

Everything else is secondary. We are looking at a draft where the Knicks might be able to get a stud PG and we'll waste him in the triangle.
I don't know what you mean. All that the triangle requires to be successful is two all-time greats, incredible depth and role players, and Phil Jackson to get two decades younger and move from being the GM to being the coach. That all seems within reach of the Zen master.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom