Kristen Sharkey joins Women's Staff as Assistant Coach | Syracusefan.com

Kristen Sharkey joins Women's Staff as Assistant Coach

CoopSwoop

2nd String
1650043025645.png

LONGTIME UB ASSISTANT SHARKEY JOINS LEGETTE-JACK AT SYRACUSE​

4/15/2022 1:00:00 PM | Women's Basketball

SHARE:FACEBOOK BUTTONTWITTER BUTTONEMAIL BUTTON...
Kristen Sharkey, University at Buffalo alum and longtime assistant on Felisha Legette-Jack's UB staff, is joining the Syracuse women's basketball program as an assistant coach and the team's recruiting coordinator.

"Kristen has been with me for 10 years," Legette-Jack said. "The first three as a player and the last seven as my assistant. To be on this journey with Coach Sharkey has been pure joy. Her work ethic, attention to detail and her passion for what we stand for is second to none. She is so ready to be a head coach, I am grateful that she decided to join me here at SU. Coach Sharkey will be our recruiting coordinator and will also oversee our post players. Orange Nation, please join me in welcoming Kristen Sharkey and her family to Syracuse University."

For the last seven seasons, Sharkey helped build the Buffalo program into a perennial contender in the Mid-American Conference (MAC). Buffalo has made four NCAA Tournament appearances during her time as an assistant coach at UB including a run to the Sweet Sixteen in 2018.

"It's an honor and a privilege to be joining Coach Jack here at Syracuse," Sharkey said. "Being her player for three years and on her staff as an assistant for the last seven at Buffalo has been a blessing. Coach Jack continues to grow young people with her intensity for this game and her relationship with her God. She is a master at relationships and pulling the best out of those around her. I love her system on the court and her ability to chess match basketball games. I cannot wait to get to work and squeeze every ounce of potential from our Orange women at Syracuse."

In her first year on the sidelines the Bulls won the MAC Tournament and secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament and mentored All-MAC First Team selection JoAnna Smith and MAC Tournament MVP Stephanie Reid.

She's helped develop nine All-MAC players during her time as an assistant coach including 2019 WNBA draft pick Cierra Dillard who was selected 22nd overall by the Minnesota Lynx. Summer Hemphill earned All-MAC Freshman Team honors in 2017 and was an All-MAC Second Team selection in 2019 and 2022 while being named to the Katrina McClain Award Watch List and the Preseason Cheryl Miller Award Watch List during her UB career.

The 2018 UB squad became the first team in school history, and only the second in MAC history, to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Buffalo advanced to the Sweet Sixteen with upset wins over South Florida and Florida State and finished the season ranked No. 21 in the final USA Today Coaches Poll.

This past season, Buffalo posted a 25-9 record and won the MAC Tournament securing a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2019. Dyaisha Fair was named a finalist for the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year award and Georgia Woolley was the MAC Freshman of the Year.

As a player under Legette-Jack, Sharkey started 85-straight games to end her UB career. She led the Bulls to their first back-to-back winning seasons in 2013-14 and 2014-15 since the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons.

Sharkey averaged 14.1 points and 8.1 rebounds as a senior at UB. She scored 1,264 points and had 758 rebounds during her career and is 10th on Buffalo's all-time scoring list. She is tied for sixth in career games played at Buffalo and is fifth in free throw percentage (.772), eighth in free throws made (305), 11th in rebounds, and 13th in blocked shots (98).

Sharkey graduated from Buffalo with a bachelor's degree in psychology and earned her MBA from UB in 2021.

LONGTIME UB ASSISTANT SHARKEY JOINS LEGETTE-JACK AT SYRACUSE​

4/15/2022 1:00:00 PM | Women's Basketball

SHARE:FACEBOOK BUTTONTWITTER BUTTONEMAIL BUTTON...
Kristen Sharkey, University at Buffalo alum and longtime assistant on Felisha Legette-Jack's UB staff, is joining the Syracuse women's basketball program as an assistant coach and the team's recruiting coordinator.

"Kristen has been with me for 10 years," Legette-Jack said. "The first three as a player and the last seven as my assistant. To be on this journey with Coach Sharkey has been pure joy. Her work ethic, attention to detail and her passion for what we stand for is second to none. She is so ready to be a head coach, I am grateful that she decided to join me here at SU. Coach Sharkey will be our recruiting coordinator and will also oversee our post players. Orange Nation, please join me in welcoming Kristen Sharkey and her family to Syracuse University."

For the last seven seasons, Sharkey helped build the Buffalo program into a perennial contender in the Mid-American Conference (MAC). Buffalo has made four NCAA Tournament appearances during her time as an assistant coach at UB including a run to the Sweet Sixteen in 2018.

"It's an honor and a privilege to be joining Coach Jack here at Syracuse," Sharkey said. "Being her player for three years and on her staff as an assistant for the last seven at Buffalo has been a blessing. Coach Jack continues to grow young people with her intensity for this game and her relationship with her God. She is a master at relationships and pulling the best out of those around her. I love her system on the court and her ability to chess match basketball games. I cannot wait to get to work and squeeze every ounce of potential from our Orange women at Syracuse."

In her first year on the sidelines the Bulls won the MAC Tournament and secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament and mentored All-MAC First Team selection JoAnna Smith and MAC Tournament MVP Stephanie Reid.

She's helped develop nine All-MAC players during her time as an assistant coach including 2019 WNBA draft pick Cierra Dillard who was selected 22nd overall by the Minnesota Lynx. Summer Hemphill earned All-MAC Freshman Team honors in 2017 and was an All-MAC Second Team selection in 2019 and 2022 while being named to the Katrina McClain Award Watch List and the Preseason Cheryl Miller Award Watch List during her UB career.

The 2018 UB squad became the first team in school history, and only the second in MAC history, to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. Buffalo advanced to the Sweet Sixteen with upset wins over South Florida and Florida State and finished the season ranked No. 21 in the final USA Today Coaches Poll.

This past season, Buffalo posted a 25-9 record and won the MAC Tournament securing a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2019. Dyaisha Fair was named a finalist for the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year award and Georgia Woolley was the MAC Freshman of the Year.

As a player under Legette-Jack, Sharkey started 85-straight games to end her UB career. She led the Bulls to their first back-to-back winning seasons in 2013-14 and 2014-15 since the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons.

Sharkey averaged 14.1 points and 8.1 rebounds as a senior at UB. She scored 1,264 points and had 758 rebounds during her career and is 10th on Buffalo's all-time scoring list. She is tied for sixth in career games played at Buffalo and is fifth in free throw percentage (.772), eighth in free throws made (305), 11th in rebounds, and 13th in blocked shots (98).

Sharkey graduated from Buffalo with a bachelor's degree in psychology and earned her MBA from UB in 2021.
Was hoping she would bring a couple of her assistants along, if they could recruit at Buffalo it should be easier here. They already know the area, and now can offer recruits the ACC as a conference to play in.

Was hoping she would bring a couple of her assistants along, if they could recruit at Buffalo it should be easier here. They already know the area, and now can offer recruits the ACC as a conference to play in.
We will also need a strong national and international recruiting presence to compete in the ACC.

Ahhhh, TIL what CAB stood for.

Was wondering that.
I remember posting this after Sue Ludwig was announced as FLJ’s assistant:

It doesn't hurt that she is also a certified New York State school psychologist when a young woman becomes emotionally distraught on the bench. Close to the players, she'll probably be closest.

And now we have another:

Kristen Sharkey, the Shark, graduated from Buffalo with a bachelor's degree in psychology and earned her MBA from UB in 2021.

Not only will they be able to help emotionally with members of our team but I would imagine also be able to “out-psyche” an opponent with plays coming in from Sue, Kristen with approval from FLJ.

We have a very “smart and experienced staff” coming together to give SU women players the best coaching possible, IMO.

Congratulations, Kristen!

Was it cold today because Coach Legette-Jack looks like she's trying to stay warm with that arm cross-over. lol
And our coach has it right CAB for all our young players.
Obviously it resonates with her players, 3 have already followed her to Syracuse.
She will develop great players, but most important will develop great people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom