Kudos to Roy Williams | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to Roy Williams

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Maybe I just never noticed with other visiting coaches, but I thought Williams was very classy pre-game. When the NA was sung, he was intently watching and listening and not just shuffling his feet and looking at the singer. Then he gave her a very nice hand. Then when our players were being introduced he again watched as if he were a fan and gave each player a very nice hand, not just a half hearted clap. Like I said, maybe I have missed others but he just seemed very respectful and classy about the whole pre-game.

dude was an absolute badger on the bench. strange he didn't try to foul down the stretch. implies quiter.

dude was an absolute badger on the bench. strange he didn't try to foul down the stretch. implies quiter.
It looked to me that the team (UNC) gave up early in the 2nd half. No effort, sort of sleep walking.

I agree with this. All too often respect for our opponents, both players and coaches is overlooked in the heat of competition. It doesn't follow that just because we project all things good and noble upon our team, that the competition is inherently bad or defective in some manner. Although it's easy to recognize that goodhearted kidding and portraying the competition in a less than appealing manner is part of the sporting experience, but is seems we see way too much vitriolic name calling and character assassination of other teams coaches and players.

At the end of the day our competition is really a reflection of ourselves enjoying the essence of competitive sports vicariously through their team in exactly the same fashion as we ourselves do. In respecting and honoring the accomplishments and talents of other teams and coaches we demonstrate that the important aspect is not so much winning and losing but acknowledging that sport mimics the triumphs, struggles and adversity that we all encounter and are called to overcome in everyday life.

Its amazing what observations one can make when sitting court side. Me and my fellow common folks will just have to enjoy the game just the same from our 300 level seats. Without the added bonus of making observations like such.

FYI, I don't sit courtside. I sit in the 300's.

Roy was still KU coach the first 5 years I lived here in Kansas. I really like the guy. He does have an annoying habit of referring to himself in the 3rd person occasionally but I think he is genuinely a pretty good person. I know some people get on him for breaking down in tears back in the day, but he's just an emotional guy.

"At the end of the day our competition is really a reflection of ourselves.."

you can either fall on your own sword or go out swingin'

A friend got some near-courtside seats for us for the Villanova game in the 80's, just after VU won the title. As Rollie Massimino was standing in the entrance way waiting to be introduced, several in the crowd saw him and starting applauding. He nodded very graciously as he chewed his gum, then walked out as he was introduced. Nice moment.

realorange said:
From the UNC board: "Well, at least Roy has 5 more timeouts to use at a date to be determined..."
Ok so it wasn't just me that noticed. I was scratching my head

Great observation Bees - my spouse and I actually thought he was scanning the crowd was taking it all in and looked seemingly impressed by the fan turnout.

I agree with this. All too often respect for our opponents, both players and coaches is overlooked in the heat of competition. It doesn't follow that just because we project all things good and noble upon our team, that the competition is inherently bad or defective in some manner. Although it's easy to recognize that goodhearted kidding and portraying the competition in a less than appealing manner is part of the sporting experience, but is seems we see way too much vitriolic name calling and character assassination of other teams coaches and players.

At the end of the day our competition is really a reflection of ourselves enjoying the essence of competitive sports vicariously through their team in exactly the same fashion as we ourselves do. In respecting and honoring the accomplishments and talents of other teams and coaches we demonstrate that the important aspect is not so much winning and losing but acknowledging that sport mimics the triumphs, struggles and adversity that we all encounter and are called to overcome in everyday life.

Nicely put! Basketball as a microcosm of our challenges and values in life.

I took notice of that today bees, and never have I seen a coach do what Roy did, class move by Roy. as a fan I apprectaied it. He was not blowing smoke, he was sincere

One thing I saw on the broadcast was at one point in the game, Trevor Cooney was bumped pretty hard right in front of the UNC bench. He was hit hit pretty hard and foul was called. We were not in the bonus yet so it was just an inbounds. Roy was on one knee right there by the play and I saw him looking back over his shoulder toward Trevor as he sort of slowly got himself gathered. The TV view then changed to a closeup of Roy and it appeared (by lip reading) that he was saying "Trevor" as if to get his attention, presumably to ask him if he was ok.

Funny I noticed something similar, at one point during the game Syracuse was substituting and Roy looked at our guy (Rak I think) as if he were impressed and gave our exiting player (Keita) a genuine round of applause.

Ok, I'll defend Roy on this one. The author says that if Coach K did this we would be all over him for it and I agree. I think Roy exudes his care for his players (and, according to some in this thread, players on other teams) he's a lover, and requesting the fan be thrown out came from that place.

Coach K would not be doing that for those reasons & that is why we would hate him for it.

I posted elsewhere on this board yesterday some criticisms of Roy as a coach but I can't find fault with him as a person. So far ...

I noticed in the handshake line Roy was having a long conversation with Trevor. I assumed he was telling him not to worry about the off shooting day, but maybe it had to do with the hard foul. Anyone else notice this?

Bees, I applaud you for this thread. It's cool that someone looked up to on here did a good job of finding something we can like about someone who has been so maligned on here. It's good to remember that as basketball fans and even as human beings in general, we all have a lot more in common than otherwise. The media and government do their jobs to fan the flames of our differences, so it has be countered from the bottom up. We'd do well to remember at the end of the day our opponents go home to the same problems and joys that we do.

As for Roy, I respected the heck out of the guy for his firm response to Bonnie Bernstein after the title game in 2003 to make it clear his job wasn't done for the season until he went back into that locker room and talked to those hurting kids. He even took care to let her know he wasn't upset at her, and did so in a funny way, by directing it at whoever told her to ask that through her earphone. Sure the guy isn't perfect and makes mistakes, but who among us doesn't? Hats off to Roy, and to Bees for this thread. If I could give you a 100 likes for it, I would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom