Kudos to the OL | Syracusefan.com

Kudos to the OL

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
They were great yesterday. I don’t see a lot of mention of them except for the usual negative posts. But yesterday was their best game of the season.

All 5 of them graded in the very good 80-89 range for pass blocking. Each one of them except for Bleich had their highest pass blocking grade of the season. Bleich graded slightly higher vs UVA and BC. Villari also was graded in that same range.

While the run blocking didn’t grade nearly as well as the pass blocking they were all average to high average.

57 drop backs and 51 attempts and only 2 sacks. And only the Wagner game did the offense gain more yardage.

Job well done guys.

I thought they played great to and all I saw were negative comments so I didn’t say anything. I thought maybe I watched a different game.

Thought Shrader mostly had a ton of time to pass the ball and Allen had room.

Final game improvements are a good thing and a foundation to build from. That said only 4 other teams per PFW had worse sack rates then Syracuse this past season. It’s good that there was transfer focus there. Both our line and QB need to do better in that specific area and our WRs need to do better getting open. Hopefully the results from the bowl reflect adjustment’s that Beck and Schmidt made together.

Final game improvements are a good thing and a foundation to build from. That said only 4 other teams per PFW had worse sack rates then Syracuse this past season. It’s good that there was transfer focus there. Both our line and QB need to do better in that specific area and our WRs need to do better getting open. Hopefully the results from the bowl reflect adjustment’s that Beck and Schmidt made together.

Not sure what PFW is. Did you mean PFF? Also what is sack rate?

I am so sick of the narrative of our wide receivers not getting open. Getting your hips past a press defender is open. Breaking leverage is open. Conflicting a defender is open.

Getting open doesn't matter if the ball is never thrown.

If your QB is a one read QB and then start to scramble that will make the Oline look worse. A couple of times GS had a clean pocket and prematurely scrambled into pressure. If your QB can’t hit any WR down the field then it will look like they can’t get open and if your QB doesn’t work his progressions and only looks at his first option and that route is taken away it will look like nobody was open.

Not sure what PFW is. Did you mean PFF? Also what is sack rate?
My mistake Bees. Earlier I was looking for the site for the stat Millhouse referenced. I think it was from Football Outsiders. There they have running and passing oline stats. They have numbers for stuff rate, standard downs line yards per carry, sack rates, standard down sack rates, etc. They have definitions for all the table columns. They have every college team.

If your QB is a one read QB and then start to scramble that will make the Oline look worse. A couple of times GS had a clean pocket and prematurely scrambled into pressure. If your QB can’t hit any WR down the field then it will look like they can’t get open and if your QB doesn’t work his progressions and only looks at his first option and that route is taken away it will look like nobody was open.
So your view is that all the issues are the QBs fault? My view is everyone has to bring their game up. GS has things he can do better, our oline has things it needs to do better and our WRs have things they need to do better.

They were great yesterday. I don’t see a lot of mention of them except for the usual negative posts. But yesterday was their best game of the season.

All 5 of them graded in the very good 80-89 range for pass blocking. Each one of them except for Bleich had their highest pass blocking grade of the season. Bleich graded slightly higher vs UVA and BC. Villari also was graded in that same range.

While the run blocking didn’t grade nearly as well as the pass blocking they were all average to high average.

57 drop backs and 51 attempts and only 2 sacks. And only the Wagner game did the offense gain more yardage.

Job well done guys.
2 sacks were on Garrett breaking to right sideline 2x while tackle was blocking well. Ran right into him.

Job well done guys.
Seemed like the pass blocking in the second half was the best all year.

So your view is that all the issues are the QBs fault? My view is everyone has to bring their game up. GS has things he can do better, our oline has things it needs to do better and our WRs have things they need to do better.

In my opinion a lot of the passing game issues are on the QB especially when the competition gets tougher.

Job well done guys.

There was a lot of moaning and groaning about the online in the game tread and it was baffling to me. I thought that was one of the units better games of the season. There were running lanes and only a couple penalties. Their pass blocking was good too. GS getting happy feet and sliding into the rush caused the sacks. He also held the ball way too long several times. Great game for a unit that is usually the whipping boy for our loses.

I thought they played great to and all I saw were negative comments so I didn’t say anything. I thought maybe I watched a different game.

Thought Shrader mostly had a ton of time to pass the ball and Allen had room.
Was about to type exactly the same response! At least three and potentially four of the five ( 5 of 6 counting Villari) will be back in September. Add in an off-season of S&C and mix in the new blood and the O Line will be a major strength in 2023.

The Gophers D is much like NCS in regards to QB pressures and how they play. SU's O did well 20 to 20 but still struggled a bit in finishing what they started and I'm sure Beck will tweak this as the OL needs to push/pass block better in that situation.

Wrs are open if the throws are on target more often as well.. We had 2 big gain plays where the throws were off by 5-10 yds.. I mean the Allen throw was a walk in TD and not even close and deep play the WR was wide open and the throw should have been led down the middle and it went over his head. Then we have the drops on key plays and half a dozen poor throws. The WRs were pretty open most of the game.

Job well done guys.
A positive post has no place on this board. You should know better

The oline played more than well enough to win the game.. We dont need a dominate oline just a functional one. And we dont have an alpha WR or a QB that is accurate or has a quick release either to help.. Shrader saves plays but he isnt super elusive either.

Look at what happened to Clemson last night when the oline was not good enough in the redzone. They turned 8-9 drives into missed FGs and turnover on downs and what should have been 14 pt win into a loss.. Thats the SU way. Then add in a non elite QB and they struggled to score.

Yes I thought the line played pretty well. Btw I talked to Dakota's dad for about 10 mins before the game. He said Dakota was really banged up this year. He should have sat out some games but wanted to stick it out. He also said they really struggled with the social media bashing of Dakota and others.

Yes I thought the line played pretty well. Btw I talked to Dakota's dad for about 10 mins before the game. He said Dakota was really banged up this year. He should have sat out some games but wanted to stick it out. He also said they really struggled with the social media bashing of Dakota and others.

Social media is the worst. All the keyboard warriors. So many players both football and basketball get trashed. Happens here too. People don’t think players and parents read anything. It’s hard to avoid. Some people don’t know the difference between critiquing someone’s play and trashing or mocking that player. It’s a shame. Tell his dad that Dakota went out with a great game. PFF graded him as our best run blocker Thursday and word during the week was whether he was going to be able to go with how he was banged up.

Ridiculous that there are idiots who get-off on bashing players. Keyboard tough guys that have probably never played the game. Some losers have no shame.

Social media is the worst. All the keyboard warriors. So many players both football and basketball get trashed. Happens here too. People don’t think players and parents read anything. It’s hard to avoid. Some people don’t know the difference between critiquing someone’s play and trashing or mocking that player. It’s a shame. Tell his dad that Dakota went out with a great game. PFF graded him as our best run blocker Thursday and word during the week was whether he was going to be able to go with how he was banged up.
I only trash posters on this board ;)

I sat behind Dakota's parents at a game once. Super nice people and that always made Dakota easy to root for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom