Lambert Trophy | Syracusefan.com

Lambert Trophy

bnoro

Lurker
With WVU losing last night, it means they finish 8-3 and won't be playing in the Big 12 championship. Both Syracuse & Penn State will finish 9-3, each with a bowl game to come. If both teams win their bowl games, how do they decide who wins the Lambert Trophy?

Any insight here?

It’s actually a poll, so I assume whomever gets most votes at the end. It’s not strictly record. Bowl games do count

With WVU losing last night, it means they finish 8-3 and won't be playing in the Big 12 championship. Both Syracuse & Penn State will finish 9-3, each with a bowl game to come. If both teams win their bowl games, how do they decide who wins the Lambert Trophy?

Any insight here?

Voters determine the winner and there is no established criteria in place to pick the winner other than "the best team in the East." They could go by best record or by highest ranking. Those who vote by record could break the tie by common opponent results. We wouldn't fare well there (Pitt).

Voters determine the winner and there is no established criteria in place to pick the winner other than "the best team in the East." They could go by best record or by highest ranking. Those who vote by record could break the tie by common opponent results. We wouldn't fare well there (Pitt).
Hopefully we’ll win our bowl game, and hopefully both PSU and WVU will loose. Then it will all be a moot point.

Cuse finished ranked higher at 15 than Ped State or BAAAAAAARRRrmy.

Should (hopefully) be just a formality now.

ECAC Announces 2018 Football Teams of the Year and Lambert Awards

The Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) has announced the 2018 ECAC Football Teams of the Year along with the recipients of the 2018 Lambert Awards, to be presented at the 83rd Eastern College Football Awards Banquet at The Ridge in Danbury, Connecticut Feb. 21.

A year after being named ECAC Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Team of the Year, Army West Point will be presented the 2018 Lambert Trophy. The Black Knights had a historic season that saw a lot of firsts. They won 11 games for the first time in program history, making this the first time they have ever had back-to-back 10-plus win seasons. West Point won its third consecutive game against arch rival Navy, the longest such streak against the Midshipmen since the mid 1990’s. They also won the Commander In Chief’s Trophy in back-to-back seasons for the first time. The team’s head coach Jeff Monken was awarded the George Munger Award and Vince Lombardi Award for National College Coach of the Year. This year the Black Knights were ranked first nationally in third down conversion percentage and fourth down conversion percentage. They finished the year on a high note by defeating Houston, 70-14, tying an FBS record for points scored in a bowl game.

Syracuse University will claim the 2018 ECAC Division I Football Subdivision Team of the Year award after finishing the season 10-3, 6-1 in Atlantic Coast Conference Play. The 2018 season saw the Orange tie a school record with 62 total touchdowns which includes a team-record 38 rushing scores. They scored 50 plus points a record five times and had at least 40 points in eight of their 13 games. Defensively they ranked third in the FBS in turnovers gained with 31, fifth in interceptions with 18, fifth in fumbles recovered at 13 and sixth in sackes per game at 3.31. The Orange recorded a total of 43 sacks, a new record in program history for a single season. Head coach Dino Babers had the team finish at No. 15 in the final AP and Coaches poll. Babers would be a finalist for three national coach of the year honors and was named ECAC Coach of the Year for the Orange’s performance in 2018.

Colgate University will be honored with the Lambert Division I Football Championship Subdivision Cup for the first time in program history after a 10-2 year. Their two losses came against FBS Army and the FCS champion North Dakota State. The Raiders finished first in the nation in total defense, giving up just 237.7 yards per game, and pass efficiency defense with a rating of 88.77. Head Coach Dan Hunt guided the team to its third Patriot League title in four years and had the team seeded No. 8 in the FCS Championship. The team tied an NCAA FCS record with five shutouts in one season and a stretch of seven games that saw them give up a combined six points. Hunt was named Patriot League and ECAC Coach of the Year.

You can't put a team that played only two P5 programs all season, and lost both games, ahead of a legitimate top 15 team that played a far superior schedule.

Congrats to Army, They had a fine season and clearly had one of the best lower level programs in the region this year.

They don't deserve this trophy and unfortunately, the reputation of the Lambert Trophy has taken another major hit.

Whoever voted for Army should be ashamed. It looks like the NY sports writers are the voters. Congrats people. You embarrassed yourselves and I bet you get replaced by more knowledgeable and qualified voters in the future.

ECAC Announces 2018 Football Teams of the Year and Lambert Awards

The Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) has announced the 2018 ECAC Football Teams of the Year along with the recipients of the 2018 Lambert Awards, to be presented at the 83rd Eastern College Football Awards Banquet at The Ridge in Danbury, Connecticut Feb. 21.

A year after being named ECAC Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Team of the Year, Army West Point will be presented the 2018 Lambert Trophy. The Black Knights had a historic season that saw a lot of firsts. They won 11 games for the first time in program history, making this the first time they have ever had back-to-back 10-plus win seasons. West Point won its third consecutive game against arch rival Navy, the longest such streak against the Midshipmen since the mid 1990’s. They also won the Commander In Chief’s Trophy in back-to-back seasons for the first time. The team’s head coach Jeff Monken was awarded the George Munger Award and Vince Lombardi Award for National College Coach of the Year. This year the Black Knights were ranked first nationally in third down conversion percentage and fourth down conversion percentage. They finished the year on a high note by defeating Houston, 70-14, tying an FBS record for points scored in a bowl game.

Syracuse University will claim the 2018 ECAC Division I Football Subdivision Team of the Year award after finishing the season 10-3, 6-1 in Atlantic Coast Conference Play. The 2018 season saw the Orange tie a school record with 62 total touchdowns which includes a team-record 38 rushing scores. They scored 50 plus points a record five times and had at least 40 points in eight of their 13 games. Defensively they ranked third in the FBS in turnovers gained with 31, fifth in interceptions with 18, fifth in fumbles recovered at 13 and sixth in sackes per game at 3.31. The Orange recorded a total of 43 sacks, a new record in program history for a single season. Head coach Dino Babers had the team finish at No. 15 in the final AP and Coaches poll. Babers would be a finalist for three national coach of the year honors and was named ECAC Coach of the Year for the Orange’s performance in 2018.

Colgate University will be honored with the Lambert Division I Football Championship Subdivision Cup for the first time in program history after a 10-2 year. Their two losses came against FBS Army and the FCS champion North Dakota State. The Raiders finished first in the nation in total defense, giving up just 237.7 yards per game, and pass efficiency defense with a rating of 88.77. Head Coach Dan Hunt guided the team to its third Patriot League title in four years and had the team seeded No. 8 in the FCS Championship. The team tied an NCAA FCS record with five shutouts in one season and a stretch of seven games that saw them give up a combined six points. Hunt was named Patriot League and ECAC Coach of the Year.

What does that mean? So Army gets the trophy but we are the team of the year?

What does that mean? So Army gets the trophy but we are the team of the year?

It's weird but it looks like they do this every year. Last year, PSU won the Lambert and Army got our award. It's the booby prize for second place.

What (2).gif

we definitely should have won, but since it's Army, who's kids I have the utmost respect for, i will stay calm. If PSU had won it? all hell would break loose.

That's fair. Those West Point kids are actual student-athletes - they've got their ridiculous football commitments on top of virtually all the cadet activities and their classroom responsibilities. And it goes without saying that they're real classroom responsibilities. There aren't any Child and Family Studies majors in that group.

Keeping that in mind, the Lambert Trophy's supposed to reward the best team in the East. They got it wrong.

we definitely should have won, but since it's Army, who's kids I have the utmost respect for, i will stay calm. If PSU had won it? all hell would break loose.

Pretty much how I feel. We should have won, but you guys are putting your lives on the line for our country so I guess I can let it slide.

With all due respect to our service people, the United States, and the flag, this is bullshiz.

It could be about "respect the troops" (which people can definitely go overboard with, so that it either resembles a kind of cult-like devotion or has a condescending dimension to it) but I think the whole give Army the Lambert after 60 years plays a big role. They're also the last true Eastern independent, which is what we all were when this award meant something.

It could be about "respect the troops" (which people can definitely go overboard with, so that it either resembles a kind of cult-like devotion or has a condescending dimension to it) but I think the whole give Army the Lambert after 60 years plays a big role. They're also the last true Eastern independent, which is what we all were when this award meant something.
How long it's been since the award was granted is part of the selection criteria?

How long it's been since the award was granted is part of the selection criteria?

Nope. But the Lambert has become meaningless so Army winning after all this time will at least assure long articles in the New York papers tomorrow. We've got a pretty good story too. No win since 1992. Af-Am coach revitalizes old Eastern power. But it's not as good a story as Army. The voters are writers. They know good story when they see one.

Nope. But the Lambert has become meaningless so Army winning after all this time will at least assure long articles in the New York papers tomorrow. We've got a pretty good story too. No win since 1992. Af-Am coach revitalizes old Eastern power. But it's not as good a story as Army. The voters are writers. They know good story when they see one.
So, yeah, it's bullshiz.

You can't put a team that played only two P5 programs all season, and lost both games, ahead of a legitimate top 15 team that played a far superior schedule.

Congrats to Army, They had a fine season and clearly had one of the best lower level programs in the region this year.

They don't deserve this trophy and unfortunately, the reputation of the Lambert Trophy has taken another major hit.

Whoever voted for Army should be ashamed. It looks like the NY sports writers are the voters. Congrats people. You embarrassed yourselves and I bet you get replaced by more knowledgeable and qualified voters in the future.

I’ve been pushing for the Lambert for months. This vote is a sham. The Lambert Trophy is now officially irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom