LaMelo Ball | Syracusefan.com

LaMelo Ball

Cusesky8214

Living Legend
not a lavar fan and the circus the past few years surrounding the Ball family but it seems like things are working out for melo considering how things looked just a year ago.

Good pub for the NBL as well - when the NBA gets starts letting kids come straight out of high school,the NBL may not get the phenoms but maybe it'll become a strong developmental league for the NBA.

I always that the consensus was the youngest had the chance to be the best and the middle was a dud
I thought he had a 2 cent brain. But maybe he is maturing past that. A nice growth spurt doesn’t hurt either.

I always that the consensus was the youngest had the chance to be the best and the middle was a dud

It was. People who were following him said he had the potential to be better than Lonzo after Zo got drafted. He's a much better shooter and then hit a growth spurt. He'll be a top 3 pick if not #1 overall.

Does anyone think his draft slot will drop a few positions because of daddy’s inevitable ‘participations’ during the span of the contract? What’s Lavar’s Negative Worth Factor?

Does anyone think his draft slot will drop a few positions because of daddy’s inevitable ‘participations’ during the span of the contract? What’s Lavar’s Negative Worth Factor?

I think he's figuring out that it's in his kids best interest to tone it down about 90%. The ESPN article had interviews with his new team and they said he hasn't been around at all or given them any trouble...so far.

It's been pretty apparent for years now that he's a really, really talented young player. He just needs to keep his head on straight and maybe iron out a few kinks. Like Lonzo, he's got really funky (or more accurately, non-existent) shooting mechanics, but he has insanely good touch to the point that it doesn't even really matter. He basically just throws the ball at the hoop from any angle and it goes in at a high rate. Unlike Lonzo, those super weird mechanics allow him to shoot on the move/off-the-dribble in a way Lonzo simply isn't capable of.

He's not the passer Lonzo is, but a much better ball-handler and still a very good and creative passer in his own right.

I think he's figuring out that it's in his kids best interest to tone it down about 90%. The ESPN article had interviews with his new team and they said he hasn't been around at all or given them any trouble...so far.

It was only a couple weeks ago that he was blabbing about how Lonzo had been "ruined", I forget if he said it was by the Lakers, or if it was because he was going to a backwater in New Orleans.

It was only a couple weeks ago that he was blabbing about how Lonzo had been "ruined", I forget if he said it was by the Lakers, or if it was because he was going to a backwater in New Orleans.
Oh, yeah — "damaged goods." He's saying that was misconstrued:

Oh, yeah — "damaged goods." He's saying that was misconstrued:

It was misconstrued. Because of the injuries, Zo's brand took a hit and he's often been the subject of ridicule online because of his health. That's the perception on Zo. He needs to prove that those are anomalies and not the rule.

Good thing he went to Australia and got away from Dad. Probably good for all parties involved. I certainly had a very negative view of him that is warming up now.

It was misconstrued. Because of the injuries, Zo's brand took a hit and he's often been the subject of ridicule online because of his health. That's the perception on Zo. He needs to prove that those are anomalies and not the rule.
My "Oh, yeah" wasn't meant to express skepticism. It was "Oh, yeah... now i remember — he said 'damaged goods.'"

kid is playing nice against some good competition and making it look easy. Needs to keep his dad away from anything basketball/business related and he will be ok

What we were saying back in September 2018.

Not many of us (or none of us) were saying anything overly positive about the kid, but there was one hot take that was so bad, it stuck in my memory over 2 years later. A quick search for "Lavar" and I was able to find the thread relatively easily.

One poster said "I have been around basketball my whole life and played at a high level NAIA school that is now division II NCAA and have coached varsity high school ball. I can confidently say that neither of the younger two BALL boys could have even been stars on my college team. If Popa thinks they are NBA material he is friggin high."

My response was "The youngest is pretty talented but played in a trash basketball system that won't work at next level. He will have to adjust back to a regular game. But to say that there is no way he would be good in the NAIA, is over the top. You went full Gottlieb. You know your stuff but you let your biases say something a little too extreme"

Their response was " I’ve watched his films. He would not be the best player on many D III teams."

It was

I figured he would be a useful player just based on his passing and ability to get in the lane ... but his shooting is waaay beyond what I thought it would be ... at least this early

He started poorly but is 21-40 from 3 over his last 6 games ..

He’s a stud .. he’s been solid defensively too which was supposed to be his major flaw.

Gotta feel bad for Gelo lol

A Hornets season-ticket holder friend wasn’t too thrilled w/ this pick at first, and i told him he’d change his tune pronto.
LaMelo is the prototype player for the new Steph Curry era nba, like Trey Young, Morant, Donovan Mitchell, even old-heads like Dame, Kyrie, Kemba, etc.
Ball’s not that level player yet, but the trajectory seems to be in that direction. He’s gonna be great.

He has the highest ceiling in anybody in that class and it wasn't even close. LaMelo has so much potential.

I was wrong and happy to eat crow. He enjoys basketball and plays with some flair. I love it.

I remember ESPN rated all the prospects in this year's draft and said they believed LaMelo was one of the best shooters in the class and everyone was incredulous about it. Obviously small sample size still, but he's shot the ball well so far. I've always been a believer in his shooting touch but always thought his mechanics would hold him back but the tweaks to his mechanics have helped a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom