Landan Salem is the new director of player personnel at Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Landan Salem is the new director of player personnel at Syracuse

I'll take your word for it (don't know this guy). However, I doubt Dino would select someone for this kind of position unless he was bringing roast beast to the table.
Dino is charismatic. Im sure he wants similar people around him to sell his message. Again its not a huge position but its better to have all quality people around you. Collectively.

Great Attitude.

Our football program is Wal-Mart. It's a job. Doesn't matter who does it. Anyone with a pulse will do. Oh, he'll work for minimum wage? Great! Does he have two thumbs? Bonus!

But they've gotta bleed orange though. Can't have a dad that works for Pitt! (Pitt!!! Pitt!!! Really! AYFKM! JFC! Pitt!!! JFC!)

His dad’s only been at Pitt for a couple years, he’s not exactly their version of Jim Boeheim.

His dad’s only been at Pitt for a couple years, he’s not exactly their version of Jim Boeheim.
If his dad is their version of Jim Boeheim then I'm Syracusefan's version of Liberace.

People are actually worried that his dad works at Pitt? Like he's gonna feed dad team secrets or something? You sound like the Tennessee fans that thought the AD they had for a while with ties to Alabama took the job to sabotage them. Come on, guys, take off the foil hats. He's trying to work his way up through the ranks like anyone, and the only way you do that is by doing a good job for who is paying you. If he can help give his dad an L, I'm sure that makes for good Banter at family get togethers.

Check out the video in the Bio. This kid knows his stuff. Great pick up. His father coaching TE's at Pitt worries me though.

Ya know, i thought the same thing regarding his dad, a lil too close for comfort. Do like his age, diverse job hx, and the fact he might know the southeast landscape. That said, his office door name plate may be fastened using fun tac, lol.

Bryan Carrington was credited for being a big part of getting Texas the #3 ranked class last year. LSU came sniffing around looking to poach Carrington and Texas had to give him a promotion and pay raise to keep him. Recruits consistently praise Carrington and he is frequently cited by recruits as a big brother type, adding to the family feel every program goes for.

Scoff all you want, but the position matters. If it was a minimum wage type babysitting twitter and retweeting stuff position that some here are making it out to be, then why the need to get a guy from another D1 school? Surely there are literally thousands of students on campus proficient in social media who would love to work for the football team for peanuts?

The connection with his father at Pitt is concerning simply because of proximity. Fathers and sons talk. Syracuse and Pitt frequently target the same recruits. TE coach is traditionally filled by a more recruiting oriented coach. It's not that I think Salem would go full double agent or anything. Its more that any information can be an edge. It seems to be an unnecessary risk that info would be shared.

Bryan Carrington was credited for being a big part of getting Texas the #3 ranked class last year. LSU came sniffing around looking to poach Carrington and Texas had to give him a promotion and pay raise to keep him. Recruits consistently praise Carrington and he is frequently cited by recruits as a big brother type, adding to the family feel every program goes for.

Scoff all you want, but the position matters. If it was a minimum wage type babysitting twitter and retweeting stuff position that some here are making it out to be, then why the need to get a guy from another D1 school? Surely there are literally thousands of students on campus proficient in social media who would love to work for the football team for peanuts?

The connection with his father at Pitt is concerning simply because of proximity. Fathers and sons talk. Syracuse and Pitt frequently target the same recruits. TE coach is traditionally filled by a more recruiting oriented coach. It's not that I think Salem would go full double agent or anything. Its more that any information can be an edge. It seems to be an unnecessary risk that info would be shared.

It's not a key position, it's an entry level job and the turnover tells the story. They took a kid from FAU who was doing an even more insignificant job at a smaller school so he took it to move up the chain. In addition, you are talking about Texas and comparing to Syracuse. Their coordinators probably make more than our head coach. Since one huge school outbid another huge school for a glorified entry level spot you think it's a KEY spot and has much significance at Syracuse? Please, LSU probably tries to steal ball boys and popcorn vendors from other SEC schools.

Ya know, i thought the same thing regarding his dad, a lil too close for comfort. Do like his age, diverse job hx, and the fact he might know the southeast landscape. That said, his office door name plate may be fastened using fun tac, lol.

Name plate? He gets and index card and a piece of painters tape, anything more permanent will require touch up paint on the door in 3-4 months when he leaves.

Why can't it go the other way? And why can't friends talk? Do we only have to worry about family members? I agree that this position matters but I'm not sure we need to worry so much about industrial espionage. If he did give info, it would make it very difficult for him to get a job elsewhere and eventually move up the ladder. This is a small fraternity. There are unwritten rules that they all know. Selling out your team would probably be at the top of the list of things that get you blackballed.

Why can't it go the other way? And why can't friends talk? Do we only have to worry about family members? I agree that this position matters but I'm not sure we need to worry so much about industrial espionage. If he did give info, it would make it very difficult for him to get a job elsewhere and eventually move up the ladder. This is a small fraternity. There are unwritten rules that they all know. Selling out your team would probably be at the top of the list of things that get you blackballed.
I agree, it is a fraternity and there's a lot of unwritten rules. This kid has bounced around and he will move on again soon. So how loyal will he be? You never know with people. They can get away with it. If dad is discreet about it.

For example, Hey dad, how things going at Pitt?, Dad: oh, we are coming along, hey that WR that's hurt, is he gonna be ok? The son may say: Dad, I can't discuss anything about the team, or he can say "yeah, its looks like he will be out for awhile". This can be an advantage in game planning and prep for Pitt if he tells the defensive staff. I'm not worried because Dino did his homework and he is bringing in a guy he believes is high character but I'm sure it happens in other places.

It's not a key position, it's an entry level job and the turnover tells the story. They took a kid from FAU who was doing an even more insignificant job at a smaller school so he took it to move up the chain. In addition, you are talking about Texas and comparing to Syracuse. Their coordinators probably make more than our head coach. Since one huge school outbid another huge school for a glorified entry level spot you think it's a KEY spot and has much significance at Syracuse? Please, LSU probably tries to steal ball boys and popcorn vendors from other SEC schools.

While the job may not entail much (I honestly don't know the duties associated with it), or may sound more important than it is, I can assure you, it is definitely not entry level.

ITT:

Screen-Shot-2016-12-23-at-9.02.09-AM.png

Couldn't that as easily work to our advantage?

A lot of coaching families have rules about avoiding shop talk.

You guys seem to believe that the Director of Recruiting has unlimited access to the playbook, game plans, call signals... calm down. This guy's job is to manage recruits and set up recruiting visits.

You guys seem to believe that the Director of Recruiting has unlimited access to the playbook, game plans, call signals... calm down. This guy's job is to manage recruits and set up recruiting visits.
What playbook ;)

Exactly. Glorified intern with an over the top title.