Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals | Syracusefan.com

Larranaga Wants Public Disclosure of NIL Deals

Col. Bleep

All American

Regardless, it would appear there will be an ever-upward spiral of cashflow.

And, by the way, on 60 Minutes last night Charles Barkley said he foresees a college basketball scenario soon with 25 teams able to "afford" top players and the other schools on the sidelines.

And, by the way, on 60 Minutes last night Charles Barkley said he foresees a college basketball scenario soon with 25 teams able to "afford" top players and the other schools on the sidelines.
I disagree with Chuck. NIL has helped the parity IMO.

The portal is the best thing for parity in the history of college basketball. NIL will help too.
Yup. Once you started hearing the old guard complaining about the new rules you knew it was because their job got harder. Duke and UK are still going to sign 3 or 4 McDonalds kids every year.

Those kids are going to go up against schools with a bunch of 22 year old's throughout the year. It's the great equalizer.

We're very early in the process of "people making up reasons why NIL is bad". We're going to continue to get some fire takes as time goes on.

I actually thought we would have seen a random school with a billionaire sugar daddy truly buy a team from the portal. How funny would it be if Maine or Columbia just waltzed to a Final Four thanks to a donor.

These old guys that hate NIL are "old man on the porch" because they didn't have the same opportunity.

I've yet to see any negative for NIL.

I also wonder how much of it (less from Chuck, more from non playing media in general) is simply that if you're a media person, you have a lot more contact with coaches and school admin than players. If you're talking to coaches and admin all the time and they're telling you why NIL is so bad, it's only natural you see things their way.

Yup. Once you started hearing the old guard complaining about the new rules you knew it was because their job got harder. Duke and UK are still going to sign 3 or 4 McDonalds kids every year.

Those kids are going to go up against schools with a bunch of 22 year old's throughout the year. It's the great equalizer.

What will be interesting to see is the shift of higher rated freshmen going to mid major/ lower end p6 schools. Once the extra covid year pool of players is gone.. at some point things will re shuffle again.

Did chuck decide to follow college basketball for more than a couple weeks this year?

I do not have a problem with nil. The issue I have is the collectives and boosters paying players large sums of money for almost nothing than playing.
It’s one thing for Coke, EA Sports, Nike or other business to have players endorse their products and the players receive compensation. It another for a player to receive millions of dollars to make a few social appearances in the community.

Miami's billionaire sugar daddy put them in their first ever final 4.

True, but they've had some success and are a P5 team, so it's not quite as disruptive.

look at the final 4 right now...It's actually a breathe of fresh air when it's not just UK, KU and UNC always there. The portal and NIL have helped that. Kids are staying longer and moving to scenarios (especially a tier below) for playing time. I think all of it is refreshing tbh

look at the final 4 right now...It's actually a breathe of fresh air when it's not just UK, KU and UNC always there. The portal and NIL have helped that. Kids are staying longer and moving to scenarios (especially a tier below) for playing time. I think all of it is refreshing tbh

I'll be curious how things look in 2025.. by then I believe the additional covid eligibility will be exhausted... I don't know the number but there are 1k plus still who are on the expanded eligibility, many of which entering the portal and thus beefing up teams like you see in the FF.

What will be interesting to see is the shift of higher rated freshmen going to mid major/ lower end p6 schools. Once the extra covid year pool of players is gone.. at some point things will re shuffle again.
It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Do you want to plan on building a team around top-15 kids only to see a couple not be as good as you had hoped or do you want to grab four or five 22 year olds with three seasons of experience?

If I was a McD AA, I'd be very hesitant to commit to a school only to have three other McD AAs on there, plus 2-3 transfers all competing for minutes. Money solves a lot of problems, but it'd be tough to turn down 32 mpg plus a comparable NIL package just to go play on a loaded Duke team and a very real risk of maybe not seeing the court your frosh season because there's a couple of older guys who can really play.

true, although Yukon is more of a fart in an elevator, truth be told

True, but they've had some success and are a P5 team, so it's not quite as disruptive.

Without NIL they don't get in this year either. There are zero 1, 2 or 3 seeds this year, I'd say it's disruptive.