Last game vs Duke | Syracusefan.com

Last game vs Duke

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Remembering that game - Duke seemed to miss a lot of open looks from 3 (Trent especially). I"ve heard some media types talk as if we shut them down, and I don't remember that - am I wrong did they not get a lot of good looks that just didn't fall?

Hate this match up - hoping for the best but man they have some options on O.

Remembering that game - Duke seemed to miss a lot of open looks from 3 (Trent especially). I"ve heard some media types talk as if we shut them down, and I don't remember that - am I wrong did they not get a lot of good looks that just didn't fall?

Hate this match up - hoping for the best but man they have some options on O.

Yes, they have some options. But they only scored 60 points on us the last game, and the zone is clicking even better now.

ASU, TCU, and MSU all had some options, too. We've got this.

Ajflood12 speculated and it makes some sense that K had the rims tightened up that game.
Knowing we couldn’t touch Duke inside and needed miracle 3’s to win.

Duke beat us on dunks and offensive
Rebounds. As both teams shot poorly.
If the rims were tight it would have been smart by K.
We barely scored 40.

Duke will not make the same mistakes that Izzo made. Duke will hammer us inside until we're all fouled out and we're down to Bayer playing center.

This has classic woodshed beating written all over it. If we can't make baskets and shoot lights out this is a 20 point + beat down.

I obviously hope i'm wrong.

that game's shooting performance overall needs to be put to the pasture
Yes, the shooting performance for both sides. I'd guess that first game would be an aberration if these teams met 10 times.

Ajflood12 speculated and it makes some sense that K had the rims tightened up that game.
Knowing we couldn’t touch Duke inside and needed miracle 3’s to win.

Duke beat us on dunks and offensive
Rebounds. As both teams shot poorly.
If the rims were tight it would have been smart by K.
We barely scored 40.

Seems far fetched. Allen shot bad against us, but he shot less than 30% from 3 in conference games this year.

Duval shot less than 30% from 3 on the year.

Trent is a Knock down shooter and struggled, but that's it really.

We've had plenty issues shooting this year. It's right within normal variance when you look at the two teams.

This isn't your typical Duke team on the outside that has 4 guys right around 40%. If Bagley and Carter want to fire away instead of go inside have at it.

Duke was the one team all year that made us look like we didn't belong on the same floor in my opinion. That might hold true for the second UNC game as well, but obviously it hadn't been played at that point.

If anything, the final score of the Duke game probably flattered us a little.

But it was played at Cameron and it's not worth a point to them Friday night. A fast start could be worth a lot to us in this one.

Duke was the one team all year that made us look like we didn't belong on the same floor in my opinion. That might hold true for the second UNC game as well, but obviously it hadn't been played at that point.

If anything, the final score of the Duke game probably flattered us a little.

But it was played at Cameron and it's not worth a point to them Friday night. A fast start could be worth a lot to us in this one.

We made a bit of a late run in that game, then they pulled away again.
But yeah - it was never in doubt at all during the entire 2nd half.

That said, OSB was awful that game, and Marek was almost literally invisible.
Both of those guys played like deer in the headlights. That won't be the case in Omaha.

OSB went 2/13, Frank was 4/14, Battle 4/12.
It's really, really unlikely our Big Three go 10/39 again - Duke's zone isn't *that* good.

Gotta imagine a BIGLY amount of Orange fans in Omaha - definitely not a home court for the Dukies.
I think the biggest factor will be - how well do Duke's refs travel? :p

We made a bit of a late run in that game, then they pulled away again.
But yeah - it was never in doubt at all during the entire 2nd half.

That said, OSB was awful that game, and Marek was almost literally invisible.
Both of those guys played like deer in the headlights. That won't be the case in Omaha.

OSB went 2/13, Frank was 4/14, Battle 4/12.
It's really, really unlikely our Big Three go 10/39 again - Duke's zone isn't *that* good.

Gotta imagine a BIGLY amount of Orange fans in Omaha - definitely not a home court for the Dukies.
I think the biggest factor will be - how well do Duke's refs travel? :p

Totally agree about OSB and Marek -- looked like scared freshmen in that game, and most of the team seemed rattled.

I would not expect that to be repeated this time.

Duke's guards were awful. The bigs won that game for them. Cuse's big 3 and Dolezaj were invisible. They need to show up to have a shot. Let Trevon Duval beat you from deep. Focus on stopping the bigs.

Get hot from three, get one of the bigs in foul trouble. Contain Allen and Trent from three and like people above have said, let Duval shoot all he wants. If he hits so be it

Marek must play like he wants 17 points again so Duke can’t play off him therefore taking defensive pressure off Tyus and Frank. Marek is the wild card here

Big guys are different than the MSU bigs — more athletic but I don’t think they are as tenacious on the offensive glass.

If we can minimize (the best we can) second chance points and avoid making careless mistakes, I think we can keep it relatively close.

Guards need to play well - I like that Howard has a full week to get his legs back. He was clearly not close to himself for the majority of last week.

Duke is going to put token fullcourt pressure against us after they make shots.
Frank and Tyus have to be ready for it.

Also we need our players to practice flopping.

Big guys are different than the MSU bigs — more athletic but I don’t think they are as tenacious on the offensive glass.

If we can minimize (the best we can) second chance points and avoid making careless mistakes, I think we can keep it relatively close.

Guards need to play well - I like that Howard has a full week to get his legs back. He was clearly not close to himself for the majority of last week.
This SU team has actually had stretches where they have rebounded very well on the defensive end. If they are able to do that Friday and continue to play a smothering zone, they will pull this off.

Seems far fetched. Allen shot bad against us, but he shot less than 30% from 3 in conference games this year.

Duval shot less than 30% from 3 on the year.

Trent is a Knock down shooter and struggled, but that's it really.

We've had plenty issues shooting this year. It's right within normal variance when you look at the two teams.

This isn't your typical Duke team on the outside that has 4 guys right around 40%. If Bagley and Carter want to fire away instead of go inside have at it.
Go back and listen to the game and see how the ball sounded coming off the rim. Maybe I am wrong but the way the ball was bouncing and the loud clank on ever miss sure seemed tight. Not saying K did it on purpose. Maybe they are always like that. I cannot say I watch a lot of duke home games. the score was 25-16 at the half with like 4-30 from three combined.

If they hit some shots we would have lost by 30 which scares me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom