Last Time Ranked After the New Year in Regular Season | Syracusefan.com

Last Time Ranked After the New Year in Regular Season

Cuse12

All Conference
I was sitting here today looking at the college basketball rankings, and pondered to myself huh when is the last time I have seen a ranking next to the 'Cuse. I did some research and noticed we were ranked in 18'-19', and 16'-17' and said huh cool I forgot that, but then I realized that was essentially from pre season rankings and wins against probably primarily cupcakes. Both years we were not ranked later then December 10th.

The last time we have been ranked past the new year was 13'-14'. (and I am not considering final rankings after march madness runs - because to me that does not indicate prolonged season success - that indicates short period of above average play which is awesome! but - that is not a recipe for success.)

That is 8 years ago...

I can not believe we have not been able to watch a Cuse game in January where we are ranked since 2014. We are closing in on a decade of not being nationally relevant and contending for a conference title.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... then its probably...

Notable thoughts while looking at top 25 rankings:

16 - Providence
20 - CO State
22 - Xavier
24 - Seton Hall

It kind of sucks seeing these schools ranked after the new year - while we have not been for 8 years. Not saying these are better programs, not saying these programs will be better then us going forward. Just an observation from a life long orange fan who can not stand seeing the Providence's and Seton Hall's of the world performing much better then us.

Imagine if one of the historical major SEC football schools (LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, Florida, Georgia) was not able to be ranked for 8 years with the same coach... LOL imagine what that fan base would be saying and doing.

I was sitting here today looking at the college basketball rankings, and pondered to myself huh when is the last time I have seen a ranking next to the 'Cuse. I did some research and noticed we were ranked in 18'-19', and 16'-17' and said huh cool I forgot that, but then I realized that was essentially from pre season rankings and wins against probably primarily cupcakes. Both years we were not ranked later then December 10th.

The last time we have been ranked past the new year was 13'-14'. (and I am not considering final rankings after march madness runs - because to me that does not indicate prolonged season success - that indicates short period of above average play which is awesome! but - that is not a recipe for success.)

That is 8 years ago...

I can not believe we have not been able to watch a Cuse game in January where we are ranked since 2014. We are closing in on a decade of not being nationally relevant and contending for a conference title.

Ignore week 4. Those are the final rankings and we're #10. It counts.

That is 8 years ago...

Alsacs has been on top of this fact, along with thoroughly, objectively and constructively pointing out other pertinent factors (in detail) over the past several seasons relative to our decline, dating back to when the sanctions hit. Many folks (at the time and even somewhat still) wanted no part in believing how the sanctions weren't even close to the most critical/proximate cause relative to the decline, simply ignoring/turning the other cheek relative to the more principal matters; numerous swing and misses on the recruiting trail, poor roster management, etc.

He was spot on then and continues to be IMO.

Last edited:
If you had told me 10 years ago we'd soon after go 8 years without a ranked post-New Year's game, I'd have said you were crazy. But here we are, continuing to float away in the abyss.

We're just so irrelevant, in terms of marketability (we don't get big ESPN games unless it's against Duke or UNC anymore), success and interest from recruits. Now, I'm afraid, interest from the fanbase is also quickly waning.

This decline has been obvious for nearly the entire 8 years, getting worse each year, it's just we all hoped something would click with JB and recruiting again, but that was unfortunately wishful thinking. I just hope, at this point, it's not too far gone. It's certainly not going to be easy for the next HC, especially since it'll likely be one of the assistants.

If you had told me 10 years ago we'd soon after go 8 years without a ranked post-New Year's game, I'd have said you were crazy. But here we are, continuing to float away in the abyss.

We're just so irrelevant, in terms of marketability (we don't get big ESPN games unless it's against Duke or UNC anymore), success and interest from recruits. Now, I'm afraid, interest from the fanbase is also quickly waning.

This decline has been obvious for nearly the entire 8 years, getting worse each year, it's just we all hoped something would click with JB and recruiting again, but that was unfortunately wishful thinking. I just hope, at this point, it's not too far gone. It's certainly not going to be easy for the next HC, especially since it'll likely be one of the assistants.
Everything you said is sad but correct. I don't think we are seeing the program fall off a cliff, yet. But it is not far away. I think there is a very real chance we see a sub .500 team for the first time in decades and that is where things really start to get ugly. The ACC won't stay down for very long.

I was told there was a Final Four and a few Sweet 16 runs in there, so that’s all that matters….
I know right, just shut up about everything else! Don’t focus on the fact that we were sweating bullets to see if we make the field of 68.

In all realness i don’t discredit the sweets sixteens and final four. JB gets credit for making some good coaching decisions during that run absolutely. But - we do have to focus on the product as a whole and as a whole it’s diminishing

Hunh?

The point being made was we didn't play a game being ranked after Jan 1 since 2014. How does the final ranking change that point?

Well, we didn't have to play another game. The point is, we achieved that ranking.

It wouldn't surprise me to go winless in January ...FSU is playing better,Pitt always plays well against us and we might have a better team than Clemson but they have better athletes which gives them a chance. l don't see wins against Duke,Wake and Miami

It wouldn't surprise me to go winless in January ...FSU is playing better,Pitt always plays well against us and we might have a better team than Clemson but they have better athletes which gives them a chance. l don't see wins against Duke,Wake and Miami
I don’t see many wins at all truthfully… we will win some we are not supposed too but how often will that happen?

Anyone looking at our program objectively would come to the conclusion that massive change needs to happen. We are so far away from being a good program. Many of us with Orange goggles sees things the way they used to be. The problem is, the rest of the world sees us the way we are and have been for quite a few years... Joe Average. Jim needs to go, and we need an external hire. Period.

Yea, we should merge most of the threads together. They all say the same things multiple times.
No, a lot of good effort went into this one. It has some real analysis and meat to it. This one was earned.

No, a lot of good effort went into this one. It has some real analysis and meat to it. This one was earned.

Very well earned.

It reminds me of the time Team Boeheim beat Team Swider/Torrence at family/friends charades the night after losing by twenty to Auburn. Boy it was a grueling, white knuckle match for the charades hall of fame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom