Last time Syracuse got a 5 star | Syracusefan.com

Last time Syracuse got a 5 star

mlbball99

2nd String
Just curious as this came across my head the other day. When was the last time Syracuse got a 5 star football recruit? Have we ever? I became a fan in 08 so I don't really know much prior to 08.

I think consensus 5 Star has to be Johnnie Morant. If I recall, Jermiane Pierce was pretty damn high up there but sadly never played due to a medical condition.

And then they played him in garbage time in a blowout against Buffalo(so he was just blocking on vanilla run plays), and never again that freshman year, if I recall.

Given that he really broke out as a senior, imagine if they had redshirted him and he had another year?
That’s exactly right. Mediocre career until his senior season. Would have been nice to RS him that freshman year. He had a cup of coffee with the Raiders I believe

I thought our last "5 star" was Rob Konrad? I recall it being mentioned he was a consensus top 25 player when we landed him in 1995?

We have not had one during the online recruiting services period starting roughly with the 2002 class.

Johnnie Morant mentioned above is the most recent, and guys like Scott Freeney, Rob Konrad and Dulayne Morgan were all at that level as well.

Sampson in this class is our first Army AA ever so that's something to be excited about.

Cecil Howard?

Yeah he should be on the list too. He was a top 15 recruit per Lemming and a Rivals All-American, but that predated Rivals doing rankings.

Complete bust but he was up there.

I don't think we've ever had a 5 star kid. There's only about 25 of them no ?

Clifton Smith was a consensus top 100 player and Dulayn Morgan was a USA Today 1st Team - Dream Teamer. Morant would've been up there along with Konrad. Those might be the 4 highest. Morgan may have been a 5 Star in today's rankings and that's it. Harrison and a few others were Parade All Americans.

Sampson in this class is our first Army AA ever so that's something to be excited about.[/QUOTE]

Didn't TD play last year? I could be wrong

Sampson in this class is our first Army AA ever so that's something to be excited about.

Didn't TD play last year? I could be wrong[/QUOTE]

He was an Under Armour All-American which is more prestigious nowadays.

Yeah he should be on the list too. He was a top 15 recruit per Lemming and a Rivals All-American, but that predated Rivals doing rankings.

Complete bust but he was up there.
i think he went 18-47 passing for his whole senior year in high school. it was a hundred years ago but I think i have that right

shockingly, he never developed into a passer here!

Just curious as this came across my head the other day. When was the last time Syracuse got a 5 star football recruit? Have we ever? I became a fan in 08 so I don't really know much prior to 08.
Skowt and Rovals have only been rating recruits since the 02 class. None since then. I'm not sure there were any "star ratings" before skowt and rovals. There are many players that people assume would have been 5 star guys, like Marvin Harrison, or Konrad, but seeing as how there are only about 30-35 5 star guys per year, and there are about 8-10 schools out of 120 schools that land them all, I'm not sure we've ever gotten anyone that was the equivalent of a skowt/roval 5 star, when signed. We've had guys that performed like 5 stars once in college though. They tend to all go to football factories. We've never been a football factory.
There used to be magazines that named there "All Americans" like Parade. However, unless you know what their grading criteria consisted of, you can't compare it skowt or rovals. I don't think we can assume a parade all american was a 5 star recruit, simply because there were guys on Parade All American teams that didn't play at D1 schools. That leads me to think that the parade all americans were just the guys who put up the most eye popping numbers, regardless if they had offers from Ohio State, or Monmouth.
The only Parade/USA Today All Americans we have had were

Matt Neenan 1989
Scott Freeney 1991
Dulayne Morgan 1992

I've read from poster on here that Harrison, Konrad, and Mcnabb all were parade all americans, but a quick google search or the parade and usa today all american teams will show you they were not.

Last edited:
A much less fun list that would have a bunch of names would be a list of 4 star guys who committed and either A. never made it to campus, B. got kicked out of school before contributing, C. Never lived up to their 4* ranking.

Averin Collier, Lavar Lobdell, Jermaine Pierce, Jonny Miller?, AJ Long, Alin Edouard. Who am I missing...

Ali Culpepper was a rare 6 star