Lawrence v. Burrow | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence v. Burrow

If all 3 QBs were draft-eligible in 2020, which would you draft first?

• Lawrence

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Burrow

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Devito

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

samspann1

Living Legend
I know that Lawrence is not eligible for the 2020 NFL Draft, but if he was, and you were an NFL GM, which QB would you choose first?

At this point, I think that all Lawrence has in his favor are the freak measurables/arm and age (he's about 3 years younger than Burrow)

Burrow is a clear NFL #1 to me. I'd be happy to have Lawrence at #2 this year hypothetically and think his potential is enough to make him #1 next year.

Tommy has the arm, but has a lot of work to do to get even into the "drafted at all" category

Not even close Lawrence and he was awful yesterday.
Burrow going to Cincinnati to become Carson Palmer 2.0 imo.
I would tank a season for Lawrence I wouldn’t for Burrow.

time will tell.. I think Lawrence has what you want in the measureables. I do wonder about his decision making, as this season showed he made a bunch of bad throwing decisions but he gets bailed out by great talent..

much like Mayfield is showing in Cleveland that the OK system covered up. or Rosen in Miami and others.

I know that Lawrence is not eligible for the 2020 NFL Draft, but if he was, and you were an NFL GM, which QB would you choose first?

At this point, I think that all Lawrence has in his favor are the freak measurables/arm and age (he's about 3 years younger than Burrow)
You need to close this poll after 9 votes.

time will tell.. I think Lawrence has what you want in the measureables. I do wonder about his decision making, as this season showed he made a bunch of bad throwing decisions but he gets bailed out by great talent..

much like Mayfield is showing in Cleveland that the OK system covered up. or Rosen in Miami and others.

LOL Rosen doesn't belong in the same sentence as Mayfield.

I said this on the NFL thread, but yesterday's game brought out all the concerns I would have in Lawrence as a GM. He struggled with guys not being wide open and not sure he has great pocket awareness, but we know NFL guys love arm strength so he will get every chance to succeed

Burrow has great accuracy and pretty good athleticism. I'll take the guy who is more polished and has great pocket awareness. He also already plays in a very pro like offense.

Burrow was incredibly impressive last night, and all season.

That said, LSU had better blocking, more people open, better schemes and an overall much better environment for Burrow to thrive in last night.

That helps make him look good, though again, he had a lot to do with the greatness LSU lived up to.

Trevor has a stronger arm, is bigger, probably faster and is a physical freak. Younger too.

His ceiling is probably higher.

Hard to make a bad choice between those two.

Burrow impressed me last night in terms of toughness and feel for the game. He is a ton more accurate than Lawrence at this stage in a sloppy pocket. I think both will have successful careers.

The future may finally be bright for my beloved Cincinnati Bengals, def going to have to improve the line but the kid has the "it" factor

I know he broke his hand at one point which set him back...

Makes sense but still, Lawrence has had so many eyes on him since he was in HS and imo people seem to parse everything he does a lot more than anyone other than maybe Tua. I think he added some things this year and that helped and it'll be interesting to see what he does in his junior year.
2 talented QB's no doubt and any team would be thrilled to have either.

I hope TD watched both these guys feet last night and works hard on that in the spring/fall.

Burrow is older than Lamar Jackson, which is fine, but you have to be 1) sold on who he is right now and 2) be able to make your offense tailored to him (like the Ravens did with Lamar). That’s fine, btw.

his accuracy is incredible and he has a lot of intangibles you want.

Lawrence’s ceiling is very high. He’s performed off the charts for his age. Probably a safer bet at number 1.

With that said, I think it’s Mahomes and Lamar as the top young QBs for the foreseeable future.

say lawrence never played last yr and only had this yrs play to review. would he be looked as highly?

I said this on the NFL thread, but yesterday's game brought out all the concerns I would have in Lawrence as a GM. He struggled with guys not being wide open and not sure he has great pocket awareness, but we know NFL guys love arm strength so he will get every chance to succeed

Burrow has great accuracy and pretty good athleticism. I'll take the guy who is more polished and has great pocket awareness. He also already plays in a very pro like offense.
Sometimes Lawrence just kind of lofts throws in the direction of the receiver even if covered. Burrow has the body language of a 10 year vet in the NFL. He's going to be a star.

Last edited:
I'd go with Burrow. He dropped a few dimes last night that looked almost Aaron Rodgersesque. His measureables are all NFL caliber and he is athetic. Lawrence is physically better, but that doesn't mean he'll be better. Maybe he will. Who knows? I wouldn't want to fall into the Ryan Leaf trap where you go for one guy just because he looks physically superior to the other who has demonstrated superiority at everything else while possessing everything physically required of the position.

Someone did an analysis of burrows throws that are considered NFL pass plays that an NFL needs to be able to make. The result was he completed 53% of those with 5 TDs and 4 INTs.