Class of 2021 - LB Austin Roon (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 LB Austin Roon (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

I didn’t mean to take the focus of this recruit. This kid can play! Welcome to LaFamilia! LFGO

How do you judge a “good player”?

I know you aren’t talking to me...

But I’m trying to steer this convo back in the right direction.

Roon is the highest rated commit of ours on at least one service. That’s how you raise recruiting rankings, by signing guys like Roon. He’s going to be a damn good LB for us, and we should do a lot more celebrating of his joining the Orange (at least in this thread) than getting into another rankings discussion.

Welcome Austin, I can’t wait to see your coverage skills on the hill!

I'm very optimistic about him as well (and as you guys might know, I don't go crazy for every single recruit like many on here). Really like his size, speed, and aggression. His genes are a bonus.

Not that it really matters, but just find it funny that Roon commits, is the highest rated recruit in our class and then 2 4 7 immediately drops his composite out of their top 1000.
its Ri vals not 2 4 7 that did that.

I couldn't put my finger on it the first time through his highlights. What was it about this kid? Great frame for a linebacker, long and lean. Shows both great instincts and is decisive reading his keys. Ferocious tackler, he looks to punish the ball carrier and is very physical at the point of attack. Still, while a good athlete, he doesn't wow you with his athleticism. Not incredibly fast or explosive, he gets to his mark but doesn't display incredible range, he defeats blockers but doesn't physically dominate them... what is it about this kid?
I watched his highlights again and there it was. Every snap this kid was a ball of fury. Just sinew and sweat and grit. Intensity. You can't teach that. But you know it when you see it.

I trust our coaches. I don't trust BS ranking services.

"It was on the WMU campus last summer that he ran a 4.53-second 40-yard dash"

That's fantastic. The only other thing I wish the article mentioned was his height and weight, but it was mentioned his Dad is 6-5. wow.

A few other notes:
*Recruited to play MLB
*Henderson's offer still commitable
*2/3 LB spots in the class

At 2 4 7 on 5/15/20 his composite was .8562 and today on 5/25/2020 post-commitment his composite has dropped to .8411
How or why does this happen? Any ideas? Subscriptions? Did he lose .0151 of his effectiveness overnight? Why would he be re-evaluated at all in the absence of new info? I mean these numbers are BS anyway except generally in relation to other recruits potential, but still, why the re-evaluation?

How or why does this happen? Any ideas? Subscriptions? Did he lose .0151 of his effectiveness overnight? Why would he be re-evaluated at all in the absence of new info? I mean these numbers are BS anyway except generally in relation to other recruits potential, but still, why the re-evaluation?
Rovals Gave him a rank

I couldn't put my finger on it the first time through his highlights. What was it about this kid? Great frame for a linebacker, long and lean. Shows both great instincts and is decisive reading his keys. Ferocious tackler, he looks to punish the ball carrier and is very physical at the point of attack. Still, while a good athlete, he doesn't wow you with his athleticism. Not incredibly fast or explosive, he gets to his mark but doesn't display incredible range, he defeats blockers but doesn't physically dominate them... what is it about this kid?
I watched his highlights again and there it was. Every snap this kid was a ball of fury. Just sinew and sweat and grit. Intensity. You can't teach that. But you know it when you see it.
While your post is overall very complimentary...4.53 is not incredibly fast for a kid this size? I thought I saw a number of blockers that took him on staring at the sky from their backsides in his highlight reel also. My point is...I agree with you that he will be good.

Matthews, Roon and Henderson would be a hell of a haul at linebacker on top of what we already have.

we really needed to get some Nose Tackles, defensive tackles and had two solid gets early and our two defensive ends are two solid, lengthy players as well. Not to mention Folk who I think is a good get too but I’m really excited about these linebackers and d-lineman. The staff has crushed it early on the defensive side and all these kids are big boys. With the exception of Lockett (whose a big dude) and Folk everyone on the defensive side is 6-3 or taller. I LOVE that, and they are all ATHLETES. Listen we are very rarely going to get the five stars, we’ll get the occasional 4 star but if we are going to beat the big boys this is exactly the type of players we need to recruit. May not be as highly rated but you can’t teach the size and athleticism these kids bring. The best part is this staff has shown that they don’t bring in the “gems” of the classes until later in the recruiting cycles usually. I’m really excited about this class so far even if the stars don’t show it.

While your post is overall very complimentary...4.53 is not incredibly fast for a kid this size? I thought I saw a number of blockers that took him on staring at the sky from their backsides in his highlight reel also. My point is...I agree with you that he will be good.
That’s the same time Jackson (receiver) ran at a combine. That’s outstanding speed for a linebacker.

Too many people get jaded to 40 times because they’re so used to hearing a handful of guys running 4.3’s or 4.4’s. 4.53 is faaaaast. I think that’s what Jalen Hurts ran? Same with George Kittle. I think Julio Jones is in that range too. Suffice it to say anything under 4.7 is pretty darn fast in reality.