Class of 2021 - LB Austin Roon (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 LB Austin Roon (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Too many people get jaded to 40 times because they’re so used to hearing a handful of guys running 4.3’s or 4.4’s. 4.53 is faaaaast. I think that’s what Jalen Hurts ran? Same with George Kittle. I think Julio Jones is in that range too. Suffice it to say anything under 4.7 is pretty darn fast in reality.

It's also quite important to point out those times at the Combine, are run by athletes who have 3-5 years in a college strength and conditioning program, AND THEN pay private training companies to continue to reshape these kids bodies (look at what happened to Zaire and Dungey's bodies a couple years back after going through their combine training regiment).

I can guarantee you that a great number of these reported high school times are complete BS. Not all of them, but the majority. I would wager approximately 10% of the kids who supposedly run a 4.4 or 4.5 in high school actually can. Either that or most of the kids going pro, are actually not nearly as fast as an average 4 star HS recruit. I'll let you decide which situation is more likely.

That said, watching this guy on film, he is running down HS RBs from behind, blowing up HS OL and tracking across the field in zone coverage with WR's. I don't give a damn about his timed speed, and measured strength in shorts. I don't see that many LBs that we have recruited who have the different aspects on type that are that exciting. I'm certainly no expert whatsoever, but the things this kid does really excited me when I watched his highlights. That's worth a million times more than a supposed timed speed.

While your post is overall very complimentary...4.53 is not incredibly fast for a kid this size? I thought I saw a number of blockers that took him on staring at the sky from their backsides in his highlight reel also. My point is...I agree with you that he will be good.
4.53 is incredibly fast for his size. I wasn't trying to demean him in any way, I think he's a great athlete and a very good football player.

LB's run straight for 40 yards, even 10 yards, once a month. In practice.

40 times for a HS student are such a poor indicator of quickness, agility, awareness on the field which are far more important. Unless the person runs some absurdly low time, who cares. Even a really fast time, who cares - such a low indicator for how good a LB they are.

4.53 is incredibly fast for his size. I wasn't trying to demean him in any way, I think he's a great athlete and a very good football player.
If that’s a true laser tested time that is haulin assssssss..

How or why does this happen? Any ideas? Subscriptions? Did he lose .0151 of his effectiveness overnight? Why would he be re-evaluated at all in the absence of new info? I mean these numbers are BS anyway except generally in relation to other recruits potential, but still, why the re-evaluation?
He committed to su versus Alabama or Ohio st. If he had he would be a changed to a 94.

BTW: Winsome Frazier would be a nice GET ALSO albeit he's NOT on our offer board. They have him listed as a safety, but he's a CB similar to Iffy, but way more physical. 6'3 185lbs. He transferred from Miami Northwestern to Palm Beach Lakes High. He already played with the best of the best & will crack the 2 deep if we inked him.

BTW: Winsome Frazier would be a nice GET ALSO albeit he's NOT on our offer board. They have him listed as a safety, but he's a CB similar to Iffy, but way more physical. 6'3 185lbs. He transferred from Miami Northwestern to Palm Beach Lakes High. He already played with the best of the best & will crack the 2 deep if we inked him.
I guess you Winsome and lose some? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

It's also quite important to point out those times at the Combine, are run by athletes who have 3-5 years in a college strength and conditioning program, AND THEN pay private training companies to continue to reshape these kids bodies (look at what happened to Zaire and Dungey's bodies a couple years back after going through their combine training regiment).

I can guarantee you that a great number of these reported high school times are complete BS. Not all of them, but the majority. I would wager approximately 10% of the kids who supposedly run a 4.4 or 4.5 in high school actually can. Either that or most of the kids going pro, are actually not nearly as fast as an average 4 star HS recruit. I'll let you decide which situation is more likely.

That said, watching this guy on film, he is running down HS RBs from behind, blowing up HS OL and tracking across the field in zone coverage with WR's. I don't give a damn about his timed speed, and measured strength in shorts. I don't see that many LBs that we have recruited who have the different aspects on type that are that exciting. I'm certainly no expert whatsoever, but the things this kid does really excited me when I watched his highlights. That's worth a million times more than a supposed timed speed.

U R SO on point Libero2!

Talic (a player I coached in the late 90's) was only 5'9 ran a lazer 4.5 & change, and I NEVER saw a person hit with such perfect technique and rage as that til this day on a high school level. To put his in perspective; In one game, Talic hit the RB (from Dillard High) so hard that he LITERALLY BROKE HIS COLLARBONE.

That's what made Jimmy Johnson (Dallas Cowboys & UM) such a great Coach he ALWAYS said, " The number one criteria I look @ is are you the best playmaker at your position? I don't care about all that other stuff!"

U R SO on point Libero2!

Talic (a player I coached in the late 90's) was only 5'9 ran a lazer 4.5 & change, and I NEVER saw a person hit with such perfect technique and rage as that til this day on a high school level. To put his in perspective; In one game, Talic hit the RB (from Dillard High) so hard that he LITERALLY BROKE HIS COLLARBONE.

That's what made Jimmy Johnson (Dallas Cowboys & UM) such a great Coach he ALWAYS said, " The number one criteria I look @ is are you the best playmaker at your position? I don't care about all that other stuff!"
Glad you agree. I get so annoyed when people get upset about a 40 time being “too slow” or excited about a time that’s virtually unbelievable. Most of that stuff is just not accurate, particularly for HS camps. Yes some of the camps (laser timing and SPARQ ones, usually) are accurate, but 80-90% of the kids that have reported times aren’t at those top camps.

There is NO WAY IN HELL THIS KID WON'T CRACK OUR 2 DEEP @ F/S OR CB!!!
I agree. I easily think he would. Still don’t get the corners always giving easy inside slants. Is it wrong what Shaffer taught. He would never let them get slants and always force fade cause it was the only play they could run. Would always jam inside to outside and as fade happens he would say to look to the sky so no gaps between cb and receiver happen. I just never see that anymore and I think it’s a great idea. This kid is long and stops most of them but I just always wondered.

PS OSI.png