Class of 2017 - LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 LB Austin Valdez (Bowling Green Grad Transfer) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE

Interesting. Was reading up on him, he went from 144 tackles in 2015 to 58 this year. I know the team around him was not nearly as good (or the coaches!) that is a big drop. Wonder if he had injury issues? Could be an interesting prospect for one year

Anyone who spent time breaking down Bowling Green film to get a taste of what was coming ought to be familiar with the name. Intriguing to say the least. He was all over the field at BG, great length and very good as an interior run defender.

Anyone who spent time breaking down Bowling Green film to get a taste of what was coming ought to be familiar with the name. Intriguing to say the least. He was all over the field at BG, great length and very good as an interior run defender.
yup, he was an all MAC linebacker under Ward's system. Just sayin

Didn't BG block the WR from coming to Cuse last year? Granted he went to Bama, but the AD definitely was a hinderance

Very true, great point. I hope we are in contact with him..
Cuse has two talented senior linebackers and a third senior who is expected to at least split time with a JUCO transfer. Doesn't seem like there's room for a grad transfer.

Interesting. Was reading up on him, he went from 144 tackles in 2015 to 58 this year. I know the team around him was not nearly as good (or the coaches!) that is a big drop. Wonder if he had injury issues? Could be an interesting prospect for one year
He did have serious injury issues in 2016. He has really good speed; could help us for sure.

Hope he ends up here.

We have a lot of linebackers. Is there room?

Cuse has two talented senior linebackers and a third senior who is expected to at least split time with a JUCO transfer. Doesn't seem like there's room for a grad transfer.

We have a lot of linebackers. Is there room?

Of course there's room. You want to add the best talent you can every year, regardless of who's in place. That third senior was barely passable as a starter.

And if this kid from BG ends up only as a backup, there's always special teams--he won't tie up a scholarship beyond next year, so there's no downside to adding him, since the scholarship was already unused for next year.

So long as we've got room at the inn, we should always look to upgrade / add talent.

Last edited:
Well he's not going to start at MLB so you bring him in to be a back up or does he look like he can play outside

Of course there's room. You want to add the best talent you can every year, regardless of who's in place. That third senior was barely passable as a starter.

And if this kid from BG ends up only as a backup, there's always special teams--he won't tie up a scholarship beyond next year, so there's no downside to adding him, since the scholarship was already unused for next year.

So long as we've got room at the inn, we should always look to upgrade / add talent.
I totally agree that we want to upgrade talent and play the best guys. I don't think myself or anyone else who is raising questions is saying we don't want him here. It's much more a question of - do we offer Valdez the right circumstance to play at? He's likely transferring to raise his profile. Would he be able to do that here, at a position with relatively few holes? If so, bring him in.

Maybe Z could move outside.
Don't think you can move a 3 year captain, the first since the 1800s in his last year. Plus as MLB he's the perfect leader for the D. Bad look.

Don't think you can move a 3 year captain, the first since the 1800s in his last year. Plus as MLB he's the perfect leader for the D. Bad look.
Understood, but I made the suggestion based on putting your best three LB's on the field not because Valdez is a better MLB. Quite the contrary, I think Z is a better player but also has the skill set to play outside if asked.

Understood, but I made the suggestion based on putting your best three LB's on the field not because Valdez is a better MLB. Quite the contrary, I think Z is a better player but also has the skill set to play outside if asked.
I'm with ya. I think you bring the kid in. Heck they were playing J. Thomas at DE at times last year. We need as much talent as possible. If Zaire wants to move outside occasionally, absolutely. Just wanted to point out he is a rare leader for us.

Its football. Injuries happen & you always need depth. Bring him in.

I don't think it would be a question on our par of whether to bring him in for depth, it would be whether he wants to go to a team where he is 2nd string and special teams as opposed to going to a team where he knows he will start. He will not start ahead of Zaire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom